Best Understudy Ever?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#25re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:35pm

well, wasn't sutton foster originally the understudy for Millie? that might qualify as one of the best...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#26re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:42pm

Jana Robbins for Tyne Daly and Linda Lavin in GYPSY

Robert Evan for Robert Cuccioli in JEKYLL AND HYDE

I also saw the understudy for the Emcee when Joely Fisher was playing Sally Bowles - don't know his name, but he was fantastic.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Updated On: 1/25/05 at 03:42 PM

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#27re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:45pm

Hands down the best I've seen was Eden Espinosa as Elphaba.. she brought so much life to the character and her vocals were not to be believed.. she also had a great transition from being misunderstood to Wicked!

Also, Jenny Hill who understudied Janine Lamanna in Seusical stuck out in my mind even after a few days after seeing her.. she was great! Updated On: 2/7/05 at 03:45 PM

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#28re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:45pm

Whoever was understudying Valjean in the National Tour of Les Mis six years ago was fabulous. Sorry I don't know, but I was twelve.

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#29re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:54pm

Somebody told me Baylen Thomas was a good understudy for Peter Krause in "After the Fall". I didn't see him.

I really liked Peter as Quentin. I was it late in the run, and felt that the reviews didn't reflect the growth he gained towards the end of the show's run.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#30re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:59pm

Meredith Patterson

I saw her go on as Peggy Sawyer in 42nd Street when she was still in the ensemble and understudying Kate Levering and she was so amazing. I remember walking into the theatre and being so disappointed when I saw that Kate Levering was going to be out but afterward I felt so lucky to have seen Meredith Patterson do it. I later went back to see Kate Levering and did not enjoy her as much as I enjoyed Meredith Patterson and I was thrilled for her when I found out that she was going to be taking the role over after Kate Levering left the show to go do "Thou Shalt Flop."

billygoatgirl300
#31re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:08pm

Juile Martell in Gypsy she was wonderful as June. I also saw the understudy for Bob in Wonderful Town and he was great.

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2
Updated On: 1/25/05 at 04:08 PM

melissa errico fan
#32re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:13pm

I remember seeing Ronn Carroll's understudy one of the two times I saw "A Man of No Importance". His name escpaes me, but I thought he was better than Ronn.

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#33re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 6:52pm

Darcie Roberts' understudy on the TMM tour. I had no idea she was the understudy until I saw the board in the lobby at intermission.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#34re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 6:55pm

megan in wicked. even though she's officially a standby or whatever. i liked her better than jlt.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#35re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 6:59pm

I also heard Meredith Patterson was not to be believed.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.
Updated On: 1/25/05 at 06:59 PM

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#36re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 7:08pm

ive seen some good understudies but my favs are

Camron Adams as Amber in Hairspray
John Jeffery Martin as Link in Hairspray
Shoshana Bean as Tracy in Hairspray
Brooke Elliot as Big Sue in Taboo
Maurren Moore as Rose in Gypsy
Michael Longoria as Fender in Hairspray (yes i know its a small part but hes really cute as Fender)

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

maybethistime
#37re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 7:31pm

Nikki Renee Daniels as Crystal in LSOH (Nat'n Tour)
Vance Avery as Emcee in Cabaret ('98 Revival) - He absolutly blew me away. As far as I understand, he was in the show for nearly it's entire run, possibly taking the occasional occasion and then coming back. This time I saw the show is was with the Neil Patick-Harris/Debbie Gibson/Mariette Hartely (sp?)/Tom Bosley cast and I was pleasantly surprised to see Vance, as I heard "Neil was horrible and Vance was WONDERFUL" and that was right! I enjoyed his performance the most of any Emcee (aside from Alan, of course, but pretty close to the final production re: Best Understudy Ever?)

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#38re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 7:47pm

Linda Muggleston in Wonderful Town, I had the chance to see her play the part twice and loved her both times. She didn't try to imitate all of Murphy's performance and her "Swing" is my favorite of all three Ruths.

melissa errico fan
#39re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 7:52pm

Although I liked Neil in "Assassins", it is painfully obvious that he is not a very good singer. Just listen to him do "Not While I'm Around". He really struggles to hit the notes, and he fails most of the time.

edenespinosalover Profile Photo
edenespinosalover
#40re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 8:02pm

I've only seen one understudy in a Broadway show and that was Hollie Howard in for Laura Bell in "Hairspray", and I thought she did pretty good.

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#41re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 8:45pm

I completely forgot about Meredith Patterson in 42nd Street...she was fabulous, too.

RustyJusty830 Profile Photo
RustyJusty830
#42re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 9:15pm

Hmmm...I feel the need to throw in my two cents as I have seen quite a few understudies in my day!

Linda Mugleston as the Baker's Wife in the Into the Woods revial
Simply fantastic, one of the greatest roles ever written and she did it justice.

Eden Espinosa as Elphaba in Wicked
I loved this girl from the start and had her reserve me house seats for one of the many performances she went on. She did a sensatational job with soaring vocals and tender yet intense acting. (Laura Bell Bundy was aslo in for Kristin that day and was also superb)

Shannon Durig as Tracey Turnblad in Hairspray
I have to say, I was very disapponted uopn entering the theatre to discover this, but ending up being floored by her showstopping performance...Her energy level blew the roof off the Neil Simon!

"I need to know that someone out there cares...Are you there?"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#43re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 9:29pm

Ann Runalfson subbing for Julie Andrews in Victor Victoria - Outstanding

Poster Emeritus

MarkCohen
#44re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 9:41pm

"Although I liked Neil in "Assassins", it is painfully obvious that he is not a very good singer. Just listen to him do "Not While I'm Around". He really struggles to hit the notes, and he fails most of the time."

wtf? Neil singing "Not While I'm Around" was nothing short of amazing. That is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard anyone sing.

Chrysanthemum62001
#45re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 11:13pm

Vance Avery and Michael O' Donnell for best stand-by in Cabaret.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

pooryorick
#46re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/25/05 at 11:34pm

Didn't Shirley MacLaine understudy Gwen Verdon?

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#47re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/26/05 at 2:24am

Shirley McLaine never understudied Verdon. She was tempted to audition for Verdon's U/S in "Can-Can" because she heard she was often out of the show, but McLaine was already understudying Carol Haney in "Pajama Game". Then Haney was injurd and the rest is Hollywood history...

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#48re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 1/26/05 at 2:51am

My vote goes to the divine Betsy Joslyn! Such a terrific performer, yet always the bridesmaid, rarely the bride.

cathyhyatt
#49re: Best Understudy Ever?
Posted: 2/7/05 at 1:19pm

I agree little molly(cathywellerstein)
ELIZABETH LOYACANOOO...AHH amazingggg
as Mina in Dracula
Melissa was great but omg Elizabeth..ahh i love her...she was phenomonal.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

Videos