Stars on the Subway

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#25re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/11/05 at 9:57pm

Saw Victor Garber on the train a few years back.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#26re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/11/05 at 11:06pm

I saw Joe Mantello on the 1/9 the day after Wicked opened standing across from a woman reading the scathing review in the Times (ok, maybe it wasn't scathing, but wasn't the headline pretty nasty?) I thought his eyes were going to bulge right out of his head!

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#27re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/11/05 at 11:08pm

I would have a restraining order if i saw hugh on the street..i'd be all over him like white on rice

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#28re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/11/05 at 11:23pm

"Richard Kind (not on the subway) but walking down 8th ave!"

Me too Jwei! I was leaving DRS and going towards 42nd St. and walked right past him. I am assuming The Producers just let out.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Plum
#29re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/11/05 at 11:30pm

Eh...Mantello probably recovered after Assassins opened.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#30re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/11/05 at 11:41pm

Oh I'm sure he did, Plum. It was pretty humorous nonetheless. I thought he was just going to barge over there and rip the paper right out of that woman's hands!

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

Chrysanthemum62001
#31re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/11/05 at 11:50pm

Man, if I saw Victor Garber on the subway I would probably start shaking. What an amazing man.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

BeeBee Profile Photo
BeeBee
#32re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/11/05 at 11:54pm

About a year and a half ago I saw Idina Menzel at the grocery store (didn't get a chance to peek inside her cart)!

Subway sightings:
Kevin Bacon
Megan McGinnis
Angie Schworer
Paige Price

MTRBOI24
#33re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 12:13am

Sounds like the 1/9 is the best place to go star sighting, lol.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#35re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 12:39am

Craig Bierko, I hate you.
I saw Seth R- many times. Always when I am late for work or it is a hail storm.
Matt Cavanaugh
Tim Acito- And he knew who I was. Ha ha.
I see more on the bus:
Mary Bond Davis- she is so nice.
Gary Beach- A gem.
Ozzie Davis many years ago ;-(
Magda- Sex and the City- Cool lady
Raul Esparza
Karen Ziemba- She is so sweet.
Updated On: 4/12/05 at 12:39 AM

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#36re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 12:46am

I sat next to Douglas Sills on the 1/9 and also walked past Richard Kind on 8th Ave.

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#37re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 1:03am

I saw a damn good Alice Ripley look alike on the A/C/E line (just can't remember what train in particular it was). The person could've been Alice, but I didn't get a very detailed look, but the woman looked a lot like her.

yodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
#38re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 9:03am

Man I'm on the 1/9 everyday going to and from work and I've never seen anyone famous. But I did walk right past Natasha Richardson in front of Lincoln Center, saw Christine Baranski in the Village, and sat a couple of tables over from Alec Baldwin at Orso

BeeBee Profile Photo
BeeBee
#39re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 9:14am

Street sightings:

Laura Linney at the Barnes and Noble near Lincoln Center. She had wet hair.

Patrick Wilson walking on Eighth Avenue.

Mario Cantone on his cell phone near J&R downtown.

Emily Skinner buying Tasti-D-Lite on Broadway.

Marc Kudisch on upper Broadway.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#40re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 9:22am

I saw Elizabeth Parkinson on the N/R line.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#41re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 9:29am

I see Richard Kind all the time.
When he went to see Millie a few years ago, at a Tony Party, and recently with some adorable kids.
Nice guy.
I only saw Craig Bierko twice. Once at an MTC patron dinner and he was the date of a lucky woman (3 years ago or more)
and when he was in Music Man he was dining at the Vnyl diner and was across from me.
He is really gorgeous. And he saw me, came over to me and my friend and said hello. He then winked at me and left.
I think my heart stopped. re: Stars on the Subway
His eyes are gorgeous and his voice. The sexiest man I have ever seen. I never had a crush until that encounter. The man makes me melt.
Roni said my face was all red.
Updated On: 4/12/05 at 09:29 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#42re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 10:40am

Not really a star but incredibly delicious:

I'm a horrible teenybopper for Gerrard Carter (the chorus boy for 'Dame Edna') and gave him a slip of paper with my number at the stagedoor. Well, a few weeks later a friend of mine (who was at the stage door with me) happened to see him on the subway.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#43re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 12:56pm

Mary-Kate Olsen at Central Park last weekend.

Ethan Hawk at a Jason Robert Brown benefit. He tried to cut line and was sent back...ha ha! But he did get a better table than we did, though!

So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be/ BRAVE

Broadwayballerina Profile Photo
Broadwayballerina
#44re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 12:58pm

AndiV, is that you in your picture? You look like Susan Lewis in ER.

"I look before I leap I love margins and discipline I make lists in my sleep Baby what's my sin?"- Joanne, Rent

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#45re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 1:03pm

Only because it's so improbable, I don't think it was him...but I SWEAR I saw Tom Brokaw riding the 6 train. If not, it was a spitting image of him. And of course I was uncouth and tried to figure out if it was him by subtlely staring at him the whole time (is there such think as subtle staring? I don't think so).

That's my only MTA story. I've had numerous other run-ins, NOT on the MTA though...

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#46re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 1:19pm

I saw Chris Noth the other day on the N.

GirlfriendFromCanada
#47re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 2:15pm

How many of your folks live in the city? I ask only because I see Broadway folks on the subway almost daily, at least when I'm coming from shows myself. I'd never be able to list them! Granted, I recognize people really easily and would be able to spot even the more unrecognizable faces.

MTRBOI24
#48re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 2:25pm

That's the thing....it's hard to recognize people. I walked right by Matthew Broderick and didnt recognize him until my friend pointed him out. If it wasnt for her, I would never have seen him, yet walk right by him, even brushing him.

VocalLizzy Profile Photo
VocalLizzy
#49re: Stars on the Subway
Posted: 4/12/05 at 2:58pm

Okay, since this happened to me JUST this past Saturday, I have to add to this thread...

I was headed to Ft. Lauderdale for a friend's wedding and was flying Jet Blue. I boarded rather early so I could make sure my monstrosity of a suitcase fit over my head, when I saw this very cute guy - big, expressive eyes, sweet smile...and I thought, hmmm, that looks like...

Then I spotted his ARS NOVA t-shirt and realized OH CRAP...

It IS John Tartaglia!!!!

I mouthed his name and he smiled. We have mutual friends so we ended up chatting as we walked through the Ft. Lauderdale Airport upon landing.

J-Tags, if you're reading this, thanks for the pic and hope you had a great time in my former hometown!

Lizzy

Videos