Anything Goes Revival

stylinbohemian
#25re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/14/05 at 6:55pm

ah!DickonDefysGravity!Patti Lupone as Mrs. Harcourt are u mad are u insane!? how could u ever demote someone of such talent? She was Reno in the revival its an insult putting her in a none main singing roll such as Hopes mother! Its blasfumuss! okay im good i needed to rant

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#26re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/14/05 at 6:58pm

perfect casting broadwaybaby18!

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

broadwaynut20
#27re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/14/05 at 7:07pm

i saw carolee carmello do it in pittsburgh 5 years ago. She was amazing

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#28re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/14/05 at 7:11pm

I don't think Ruthie is Waspish enough for Hope, she's be better suited to Bonnie

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#29re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/14/05 at 7:38pm

I love the song "Anything Goes". I sing it at voice lessons.

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#30re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/14/05 at 9:19pm

wow I like the idea of David Elder as Billy Crocker

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#31re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/14/05 at 9:54pm

I TOTALLY enjoyed the current NT production of AG in the Theatre Royal here in London. I think they should bring it to Broadway! I totally agree with previous comments about Rachel York or Carolee as Reno, I think Ruthie could be Reno too?! And I think it's DEFINITELY John Barrowman as Billy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And plz don't bring on Maria Friedman to this show.... just don't ruin it....

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#32re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/14/05 at 11:26pm

I love John Barrowman if i could have his children i would.... movign on.... he has played the role 3 times and i would just love to see him as a dorky brit...... also i think David Elder is highly underused his voice is gorgeus and his dancign is like whoa.... yes John and David = my life

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#33re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/14/05 at 11:28pm

Also before i forget .....How cute would Jane Krakowski be as Bonnie.... i would die to see her in the role..... i think Ruthie could pull off Hope but i can't see her as Bonnie......maybe KAte Reidners as Hope (in a red wig)

hannahshule
#34re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/15/05 at 7:57am

I saw Kate Reinders in Gypsy. I'd never thought of her as Hope, but now that you bring it up, It might be kind of fun!

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#35re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/15/05 at 10:49am

The parts are wrong. If they revive it then they will do the 1986 script which replaced some songs and replaced Bonnie with Erma and I doubt they would get some of those people in there.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#36re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/15/05 at 1:02pm

Whatever they do, "Heaven Hop" should go back into the show. That's such a fun song for Bonnie. And Natasha Richardson . . . . not in another musical, she can't sing!!!! The only reason why she was any good in Cabaret was because of the major acting that needs to be done, but she could never sing Reno! I think Christine Ebersole would make a GREAT Reno.

". . . POP . . ."
Updated On: 4/15/05 at 01:02 PM

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#37re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/15/05 at 5:46pm

Reno is a great party. Ultimates for the part right now, I think would be Lupone again or Liza if she were up to it.......also it would be great if it were Ellen Greene(sp?) or Idina Menzel or Sutton Foster or Stephanie Block or Bette Middler or .....its a wonderful role, and lots of wonderful folks out there to play it.
Hannah, I agree with you. I adore HEAVEN HOP and that entire revival that starred Hal Linden and Eileen Rodgers. A great recording too. I think some poor choices were made for the Lupone/Lincoln Center revival re altering some Cole Porter songs which has been done with this show now for decades. But we all coulda lived without the lame..."toot toot" song or whatever it is and Buddy Beware is not in the league of HEAVEN HOP, etc, not for me anyway. I love all the songs in the aforementioned Hal Linden/Eileen Rodgers revival with the exception of Bon Voyage and Public Enemy Number One. But then again, I suspect Mr. Porter didn't care much for those songs either and were probably originally used while the set was being changed or something. :)
ANYTHING GOES still remains the most often performed musical of the 1930s decade, by far, I believe, doesn't it?

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

hannahshule
#38re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/15/05 at 8:15pm

Babes in Arms (1937) i think is done quite often also.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#39re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/15/05 at 8:19pm

Has anybody mentioned Marin Mazzie for Reno?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#40re: Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/15/05 at 11:15pm

What about Debbie Shapiro-Gravitte for Bonnie?

margaretdb Profile Photo
margaretdb
#41Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/17/05 at 5:06am

Last year I went to Scotland for a month and made a special trip by bus to London (yes - 9 hours each way) just to see John Barrowman in Anything Goes.
The night I had booked for, John injured his leg at the matinee and didnt appear in the show that night. I really could have slashed my wrists, I was so disappointed. I loved the show and the music though.
As luck would have it - I had booked an extra days accommodation and an extra ticket on the bus for the Tuesday as well as the Monday and was able to stay for an extra day to see the show again. (I must have a guardian angel...) I spent an anxious couple of days hoping that John would appear on the Monday night and he did. The show was 100 times better with him singing the songs.
SO - John Barrowman has my vote for Billy - no question

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#42Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/17/05 at 5:15am

Sarah Brightman as Reno.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

riv
#43Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/17/05 at 9:32am

I don't know about Babes In Arms being revived a lot, but I'd rather see that than Anything Goes. Goes is always showing up somewhere and God knows it's been recorded to death. It has a great score--without any interpolations--but let's give it a rest.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#44Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/17/05 at 10:03am

Christy Carlson-Romano for Reno! It's perfect casting!

stylinbohemian
#45Anything Goes Revival
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:11am

Theatreboy49 i saw the 1986 version done after my school did the original adn i must say its really eh i didnt like it as much as the original so if they ever did revive it i hope they will stay true to the original version

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

Videos