pixeltracker

Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?- Page 2

Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?

Eileen2 Profile Photo
Eileen2
#25re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/22/05 at 11:20pm

The Boy from Oz... it has to be the most memorable broadway experience I've ever had. The energy in the room was completely amazing.

Eileen

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#26re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/22/05 at 11:21pm

The Full Monty
Aida
Urinetown
Long Day's Journey into Night
(and I was at what was supposed to be Gypsy's last show, then they announced the extension the day after I bought my ticket)
I think that's it...Oh, The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui (off-Broadway).

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#27re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/22/05 at 11:37pm

**thread jack warning**

MABEL! you saw the closing of URINETOWN!!!!! soooo jealous am i!

**thread jack ovah!**

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#29re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 12:36am

Thoroughly Modern Millie - and I agree, they didn't do anything special for the last show except have the swing join everyone on stage for the final number and the curtain call was a bit longer than normal. Still, it was a very sad moment to see it close. re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#30re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 12:40am

Damn Yankees with Jerry Lewis. It was fun because the cast was just having a ton of fun up there. They let it become the Jerry show a bit more than usual but it was well worth it. Also his stand up bit during Good Ole Days went on for a good 10 to 15 minutes longer than usual if I remeber right, I was only about 13 at the time.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

cabarethed
#31re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 12:46am

Taboo and Design For Living, but most importantly, Cabaret. re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#32re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 12:59am

DAMN YANKEES
MISS SAIGON
AIDA

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#33re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 2:08am

Aida and Taboo ... both very emotional

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#34re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 3:11am

INTO THE WOODS - (the orig 1987-89 production) closing perf Sept 3, 1989. Sondheim was there signing autographs after the performance and led the entire cast and audience singing Happy Birthday to Ben Wright who was turning 17 that day.

A friend of mine had flown down for the closing of SUNDAY IN THE PARK in 1985 and advise us getting tickets for the WOODS closing.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

musicnmath
#35re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 3:26am

Martin Guerre ( 1998 ) in London
Updated On: 5/23/05 at 03:26 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 6:03am

Jane Eyre & Parade

Poster Emeritus

Jon
#37re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 6:29am

The megabomb BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC - proving once again that sequels to musical NEVER work.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#38re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 8:32am

Cathywellerstein, the Urinetown closing was FABULOUS!!! Emotional, hillarious, and TOTALLY worth the hours I spent in line to get my rush seat re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended? After the scene in Act I where Little Sally sits on Officer Lockstock's lap having their little chat about the dynamics of musical theatre, Spencer gave Jeff a kiss on the cheek before leaving. It was SO SWEET!

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#39re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 8:38am

Noises Off
Taboo
AIDA

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.

Puppies are babies in fur coats.

Tinfoil...The Terrorizing Terminator

riv
#40re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:33am

A Doll's Life.

I was in the fourth row orchestra. Betty Comden & Adolph Green came out prior to the performance to ask us to excuse the lighting because the show was being taped.
Updated On: 5/23/05 at 10:33 AM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#41re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:37am

Original production of "42nd Street"
Gypsy w/ Tyne Daly
Titanic
Ragtime (amazing)

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Up In Lost
#42re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:56am

Liitle Shop.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#43re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 11:00am

OK, none on Broadway, but in London:

Amy's View
Rent (original run at the Shaftesbury)
Naked
Shakespeare in Shoreditch
Ute Lemper: Life's A Swindle AND Naughty Baby

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

NBC
#44re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 11:26am

The Rocky Horror Show revival (Both times it closed!)
Contact & Private Lives on the same day
Taboo
Man of La Mancha revival
Urinetown
Gypsy with Bernadette (Sitting near Sondheim...amazing.)
Dracula
I think I was at the final performance of the Fosse 1NT...or maybe it was the second to last...anyway I was sitting behind Ann Reinking.

"I cried during the Frug." - MC
Updated On: 5/23/05 at 11:26 AM

cathyhyatt
#45re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 11:39am

dracula...with little cathywellstein actually haha. It was amazing. It was our fourth time seeing it and we sat in the front row (thank God for student tickets!!!). That was one of the best days but yet one of the worst. rip dracula re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

JBSinger
#46re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 12:24pm

final matinee of TABOO. Rosie was there holding court and the show started 20-25 minutes late. The audience was crazy for it. People flying in from London and seeing both shows that day. Even if the show was flawed (but with terrific performances), it was one of the most exciting trips to the theatre I've ever been to.

TheOneAndOnly
#47re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 1:20pm

I don't think I'm forgetting any:

Seussical
Taboo
Caroline, or Change
Little Women

All very special performances...

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#48re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 1:44pm

Ragtime (absolutely amazing) - My mother knew how much I loved this show and surprised me with tickets to the closing performance for Christmas that year. I miss this show so much. re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?

Kiss Me,Kate - Burke was having some trouble so they scrapped the Act two reprise of "So In Love", and after "I am Ashamed that Women are So Simple", while Carolee was winking, Burke looked up and caught her. It was VERY cute. re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended? It was also my very first time sitting front row. I also seem to remember the company singing "Happy Trails to you...", which I believe was something of a tradition during the run of KMK ( I seem remember them singing it at Stokes' final performance also).

King Hedley II
Updated On: 5/23/05 at 01:44 PM

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#49re: Broadway Closing Performances -- Which Ones Have You Attended?
Posted: 5/23/05 at 2:03pm

A Little Night Music, and I'll never forget it. I was in high school, and was spending the summer in Boston. I didn't have a dime. I decided to go home for the weekend, and being that it was a kinder, gentler time, I hitch-hiked south to NY. The third ride I got was a linen cleaning truck, full of hotel and restaurant tablecloths.

The driver let me sit in the back with the cleaning, and among the baskets of dirty napkins was a NY Daily News. I paged through the entertainment section, and saw a small item that A Little Night Music was closing on Saturday Night. Even though I had spent far too much of my parents money seeing the show countless times, I knew I had to be there.

Mom and Dad were remarkably understanding that I needed to go to the final performance, and shelled out not only for me, but also for my best friend. He was a music snob attending the Intelochen Academy, and was prepared to be unimpressed with the dumbing down of an Ingmar Bergman movie as a musical comedy.

Well, the performance was wonderful, and of course my friend was extremely impressed with the Sondheim score. But the most fun during the evening were the jokes the stagehands and cast pulled. Frederick's car was mysteriously pulled off stage during dialog, and various other little jokes were shared among the actors.

The ovation at the end was absolutely huge, and Hermione Gingold finally had to ask the audience to leave, telling us that the producers were about to turn off the electricity!

I highly endorse going to closing nights, particularly if it's a show for which you have a special fondness.

Videos