Corine2
#25re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:19pm

Everyone buy tickets!

jim Profile Photo
jim
#26re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:20pm

Hey now, THE WOMEN IN WHITE is a wonderful show!! Liked it better than MARY POPPINS. Sorry that people will be out of work but this always happens after the Tony Awards--- shows close. I expect others will post closing notices shortly.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#27re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:22pm

OK now this is a sad day. re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

broadwaybaby77 Profile Photo
broadwaybaby77
#28re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:28pm

I agree with you, Corine.

I loved La Cage. I saw it twice (with Daniel Davis, fortunately) and planned on seeing it again. There is so much talent in that show, and it's really a shame.

I'm also incredibly bummed about Peter Linz and Rick Lyon leaving Avenue Q.

This is a horrible day, and tomorrow (despite the weather), i will wear all black.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#29re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:32pm

This is very sad re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards What is it, the curse of the Revival Tony ?

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#30re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:35pm

The reason this show didn't do so good because a musical with gay people is no longer revolutionary. That is why the original ran for 1,700+ performances.

I, too, am sad to see this show go. I had a ticket set for July 23. The same thing that happened between me and the last Jerry Zaks show, Little Shop of Horrors: I have a ticket and the show is going to close before a ticket. Fortunately, the show went on tour and I got to see it in Raleigh, NC. Though I pray the show stays open, I hope it comes somewhere near if it tours.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#31re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:36pm

uh oh. I still haven't seen it!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#32re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:36pm

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 5/10/06 at 06:36 PM

luvtheEmcee
#33re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:37pm

I know, I know!

Johnnytoc
#34re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:37pm

Thats so sad! re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards *applauds the talented cast and crew*

luvtheEmcee
#35re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:41pm

*grabs feathered boa*

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#36re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:43pm

I'm sad too for the cast, especially Les Cagelles.

I'm not sorry for the producers. They have handled La Cage in an entirely unprofessional manner. They never put the money into the show and did a bad job promoting it .

The worst thing they did was firing the best actor (hurting his career in the process) and then replacing him with an actor who was too old and not physically or mentally able to handle the part. Goulet may have had a name at one point but he doesn't any longer. The plummetting box office since he took over the part showed that. Lets hope they learned a lesson and won't hire him for the tour. But these producers are idiots and they will make the same mistake.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#37re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:44pm

I took 56 people to see La Cage last year.
Time for another event.

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#38re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:44pm

:*-( I"M GONNA MISS IT SO MUCH!!!!

<33 Gary Beach

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#39re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:49pm

I loved this production. I think even if the other aspects of the show were medicocre,which they weren't, those dancing cagelles definitely made up for it!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Updated On: 6/7/05 at 06:49 PM

itstheM Profile Photo
itstheM
#40re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:52pm

This poor show. I feel bad especially because it has the best ensemble on Broadway and Gary Beach.

Baby, dream your dream Close your eyes and try it!

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#41re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:52pm

On a humorous note, even I in Greece can hear Daniel Davis, laughing at the faces of the producers ! :)

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#42re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 6:53pm

Well, did they honestly expect sales to go up in a day!!!!!! However, isn't this supposed to tour??????

ProducersFan
#43re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 7:06pm

I'm looking for a ticket for Sat. evening. I must catch the show again before it leaves. I am so saddened by this news. And I just heard that Anne Bancroft passed away. Is this horrible news day? re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#44re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 7:09pm

LaCageauxFollesfan is going to be pissed with a capital P.

I really didnt like this show very much but it is sad to see another show go. re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards

ProducersFan
#45re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 7:34pm

Okay I did my small part - bought a ticket to Saturday's evening show. Granted it was a $25 rear mezz ticket but I'm a college student, cut me some slack. re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards Do you think there's a chance I'll be able to move closer? Or are the rear mezz seats not that bad?

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

Mythus
#46re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 7:38pm

Considering that La Cage played at 38.x% attendance last week, ProducersFan, I'm sure there'll be plenty of better seats in the balcony that you can move to.

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#47re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 7:45pm

It's a shame, it really is. Les Cagelles were excellent. However it's not like it's much of a surprise.

I for one am satisfied with my happy memories of Les Cagelles and Daniel Davis. Let this production die, and hopefully in ten - fifteen years there will be a new, updated, better-cast and better-directed revival. I feel bad for everyone involved... but what can I say.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#48re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 7:57pm

Hey look, it closes on my birthday.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#49re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:00pm

Could be the producers were actually looking for a loss (tax write-off). How ironic that the attendance was low, yet the discount codes expired at the end of May.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos