pixeltracker

The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!- Page 2

The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#25re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:47am

Adam Guettel's wordless vocalise in the middle of "Hero and Leander" always makes me melt. That and the piano at the beginning of the song.

Jimmyojimmy Profile Photo
Jimmyojimmy
#26re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:51am

In Ragtime during Your daddy's son :"I buried my heart in the ground, when I buried you in the ground"
gives me goosebumps everytime.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#27re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:56am

Passion-The Garden Sequence: "Love that fills every waking moment, love that grows every single day, love that thinks everything is pure, everything is beautiful, everything is possible."

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

feinstein9 Profile Photo
feinstein9
#28re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:04am

the part in "a miracle could happen" (from l5y) when jamie says "don't lose faith, don't look down, don't despair" and the piano is doing that thing and he says "i'll be theeeeeeeere!" with the piano underneath doing that- i don't know what you'd call it, counter-melody? no? anyway it's a great moment.
i also agree with the "sunday" already mentioned, that is a GREAT theatre moment.
oh, and the final "if" in if i loved you someone mentioned, i love that! the feeling...
i would have to say the whole scores of "passion" and "piazaa" are filled with those moments! they're everywhere!
"how long where we apart?" (music) "a week, a month, a day?"
ah, tis why we love theatre, yes?

ScubaSteve Profile Photo
ScubaSteve
#29re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:19am

Have a few. First of all, the only song that I can constantly listen to and get goosebumps every time, The Old Red Hills of Home from Parade, when it hits the end of the march and the veteran says "I would gladly give my good right leg again" and then it switches from that back to the melody and the chorus. Then in A New Brain, during the acapella part in Heart and Music, and His Work And Nothing More from Jekyll & Hyde when all the parts are overlapping and whoever jekyll's lawyer is hits that high B (I think it's a high B, i could be wrong, but its high nevertheless). Both those last two are great because of the overlapping harmonies going on.

BwayBoy25
#30re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:23am

i ahve to agree...that part right before "SO IF YOU CARE TO FIND ME...LOOK TO THE WESTERN SKY"

that part gives me chills everytime i hear it

whats funny is that JUST before i came across this thread i was gonna post a thread about those parts in songs when they give you the chills and they really do take you there to broadway...anyone else have those moments...when you feel it?

hear the beat...

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#31re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:32am

"Let others rise to take our place!" from The Final Battle in Les Miserables.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

Blair
#32re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:41am

"On a sunny day I find the rain" - "See Her Smile" from tick, tick...BOOM!

I don't know what it is, but that line just makes me sigh every time.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#33re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:44am

"To add to the end of "Defying Gravity" (I love all of that one too), when she sings "So if you care to find me, look to the western sky..."

Same here. When I hear that part, I get goosebumps. I've listened to that song hundreds of times, but it still happens.

I FINALLY listened to Aida's music for the first time this past weekend, just to see what the big deal was. (*kicks self* gah, where have I been?!?) The final verse of Dance of the Robe was amazing!

Yeah, I'm a sucker for belts.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

BwayBoy25
#34re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:46am

lots of parts of aida do that to me!

hear the beat...

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#35re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:48am

Aida was my first love.

Jimmyojimmy Profile Photo
Jimmyojimmy
#36re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:55am

Ive seriously only heard two songs from aida, is it good? Ive heard mixed views and opinions about it.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#37re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 1:58am

Now that I have exposed myself to a greater variety of theatrical music, it's not quite as impressive. However, there are several tracks which still chill my bones when I hear them. Every track is a winner pretty much, except for Zozer's songs. John Hickok sang them very well, but the songs just don't live up.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#38re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 2:02am

LOOOOOOOOOOVE AIDA.

This is my signature.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#39re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 7:24am

Course I agree with the last verse of Defying Gravity.

Also, at least in Michael Ball's rendition the line "Oh my friends my friends don't ask me" from Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.

The last verse of "You'll Never Walk Alone" with everyone singing. Much more powerful.

"To reach the unreachable star"-last line of the Impossible Dream

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

teh_pretty Profile Photo
teh_pretty
#40re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 7:44am

I absolutely adore the lines "I was half convinced I'd waken/satisfied enough to dream you" from Johanna in Sweeney Todd. The semitone down is gorgeous.

Sant
#41re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 11:55am

The part of WICKED's Defying Gravity where Elphaba sings "So if you care to find me..."

WICKED's The Wizard And I: "...all to do with meeeeeeeeeeAndI'llstandtherewiththeWizard..."

CHICAGO: when the Overture 'flows' into All That Jazz. The moment when the number changes and the first bars of ATJ - especially if ATJ is played in slow tempo and the tempo changes a lot! Also that few bars just before Velma starts the song with "Come on babe why don't we..."

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#42re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 11:57am

What's a button? I've always been curious. It seems to be more than a phrase, but I'm not exactly sure.

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#43re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:03pm

Very cheesy, but I can't help it:
"Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast, more so on the soundtrack than the cast recording, but when the tempo slows way down during "let us help you we'll keep going" and Lumiere sings "Course by Course" and there's a huge chord
it's like 3 seconds tops but it really does make the whole song absolutely Fantastic

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#44re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:03pm

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLIN' YOU!"
Updated On: 6/21/05 at 12:03 PM

ashley0139
#45re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:10pm

So so so many!
If I Didn't Believe in You (L5Y)- "Don't we get to be happy, Cathy? At some point down the line don't we get to relax, without some new tsuris (sp?) to push me yet further from you..."
The Fire Within Me (Little Women)- Parts already mentioned, and "Everything I promised them is here. All of us, the way we used to be. We will always have each other, they will always be the fire in my heart."
One Day More (Les Miz)- pretty much all of it!
Take a Chance on Me (Little Women)- "Come on! Take a chance on me!" and "And you make me wanna dare to take that chance on you!"
You Can't Stop the Beat (Hairspray)- "And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the NAACP!"

Wow, that's a lot. And many others that I can't think of at the moment.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ozbwayfan
#46re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:14pm

Kelli O'hara's tiny little exhalation after "light" at the end of the title song from "The Light in the Piazza". So human...
*sigh*

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#47re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:17pm

the first chords that play right before "lament" in ITW and that whole song is so haunting, it always gives me chills.

and in "moments in the woods" when she sings "makes the 'or' mean more than it did before"

you may know what you need but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#48re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:33pm

Beergoggles, I agree with the "Defy Gravity" from WICKED moment! ahh! I cryed!! I'm such a dork!

In RENT at the end when everyone is singing "No Day But Today!!!!" I got chills

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

arishmoof Profile Photo
arishmoof
#49re: The Short Moments That Make a Song Fantastic!
Posted: 6/21/05 at 12:37pm

idinarocksmysocks- i second "no day but today" all the way, that is sooo powerful- there are so many moments like that in that show

you may know what you need but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have

Videos