pixeltracker

Bad songs in Good musicals- Page 2

Bad songs in Good musicals

DanaeB Profile Photo
DanaeB
#25re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 5:16pm

best12bars-- I completely agree with you that "Make Them Hear You" is overkill. Dialogue would have definitely been more effective.

Updated On: 8/28/05 at 05:16 PM

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#26re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 6:07pm

"Little Lamb," while boring, is necessary for us to really connect with louise, in my opinion.

"Miss Baltimore Crabs" from Hairspray just doesn't work.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

theatrebabe
#27re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 6:13pm

i often skip Magic Foot from Spelling Bee

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#28re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 7:28pm

AWWW MEF I love "Let's Walk" its my favorite of the whole show.

I always skip "Your Eyes" In RENT! We waited all year for him to write one great song and "your eyes" can not possibly be classified as such!

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#29re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 9:20pm

"Western People" - King and I , it was wisely cut from the movie.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#30re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 9:33pm

Sorry but I hate these two songs:
Sentimental Man from Wicked
Something Bad from Wicked

I also dislike:
We're Okay from Rent
The Legend of Miss Baltimore Crabs from Hairspray
Married from Cabaret
Muqin from Thoroughly Modern Millie

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#31re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 9:38pm

"Light my Candle"- Rent

I LOVE TMM but 90% of the songs to me just dont belong in the show.

YessicaB
#32re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 9:48pm

Hey - reading this thread made me laugh. If all the songs you suggested were cut from Rent we'd be left with what? Like one song? Just to add to that I personally don't like "Contact".

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#33re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 9:52pm

Thoroughly Modern Millie:
Both of Muzzy's songs
Muquin

But I love Millie. and I really don't like 911 Emergency from Bare.

MyDreamsRecurring Profile Photo
MyDreamsRecurring
#34re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 10:17pm

Muqin from Thoroughly Modern Millie I agree with
Another Pyramid from Aida
My White Knight from The Music Man
King Herod's Song from JCS
I'm Only Thinking of Him from Man of La Mancha
Love Song from Pippin
You'll See from Rent

"No two shows are alike in the making. Each show is a living piece of your life in a small unreal world with its own character and integrity; its own new set of memorable experiences and incredible happenings. You begin to love and adapt to its strangeness. Dreams harden into substance. Values come into focus. You wish it would never end. The dream world vanishes like mist before a rising sun; part of you vanishes with it. And back you land in the real world with a thud- fogged, uneasy, jittery, difficult to get along with. There is only one cure. A new show. A new, small unreal world; new visions, experiences, incredible happenings. Again you love it, adapt to it, wish it would never end. But end it does. Another part of you vanishes. That's show business."-Anonymous

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#35re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 11:12pm

joanlegorreta- i can't believe you thin "all i care about" is a bad song- i've always thought it cemented the entire character of Billy Flynn. He pretends to be caring and compassionate (which encompasses that song) but when the audience officially "meets" him in the scene immediately after he is the polar opposite.

my 2 cents- wither 30/90 in tick tick boom or all of the songs but 30/90, since that song is so different from the rest of the show and it really doesn't fit.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Fosse76
#36re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 11:30pm

"The Music of the Night" from The Phantom of the Opera
"All I Ask of You" from The Phantom of the Opera
"That Face" from The Producers
"All I Care About" from Chicago
"Class" from Chicago (I hate the melody. The Lyrics are fine)
"Make Them Hear You" from Ragtime
"Little Lamb" from Gypsy
"A Heart Full of Love" from Les Miserables
"Greatest Star of All" from Sunset Boulevard
"Something Bad" from Wicked. That has to be the worst song ever composed for musical theater.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#37re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/27/05 at 11:38pm

"Your Eyes" I have a big problem with because "One Song Glory" is a far better song, and it is about him trying to write "your Eyes" which ends up being a big letdown. Hah...he should have just sang "One Song Glory" for Mimi at the end.

Akiva

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#38re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 12:06am

First, I just want to say that "Your Eyes" grew on me and I do like it now.

I never liked Green Finch and Linnet Bird - it's FAR too metaphorical a song for a character that just isn't that smart in the first place.

I also like Make Them Hear You...

Mostly, though, I wanted to write because I'm very surprised people said songs from Man of LaMancha. Little Bird is PERFECT for that scene. A violent song wouldn't work at all. The contrast between the song and what the muleteers are doing there is what makes the scene work in the first place. As for I'm Only Thinking of Him - it's needed to show why Quijano's family goes to the extremes they do to help him -- and when it's sung well (as I think it is on the OCR), I think it's kind of a pretty song.

I will, however, say that This Was a Real Nice Clambake was probably the biggest misstep R&H made in any of their scores! The song is horrible - annoying melody with even worse lyrics - after being stuffed by a meal, NO ONE rhapsodizes about what they just ate as though it were a long-ago fond memory!

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

jam_man
#39re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 12:09am

best12bars, while I do agree that one of the few but prominent flaws of Ragtime is the overkill of powerful anthems, I personally believe "Make Them Hear You" is a wonderful song - just my opinion. However, because of the anthem overload, they did cut "He Wanted to Say" after the Broadway run closed. Now it's optional in the lisenced version. However, I do agree that it could have been handled brilliantly with dialogue, though maybe not better. The library scene is too long as it is, without the dialogue that would likely increase the lenth. That's also one of the problems with the novel. It needs to bring together so many lose ends that it ends up just running long out of necessity. I would have loved to see what McNally would have written for it, though.

Anyway, as for me, I always skip over "Atlantic City" from Ragtime.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

aspiringactor
#40re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 12:56am

I'd have to second the motion of "magic foot" from "...spelling Bee" - although I'm sure it's hilarious while watching the show -it's not so sweet on the ole ears while listening to the soundtrack.

jam_man
#41re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 1:13am

Do you guys want to, or should I? Okay, I will.

aspiringactor, Spelling Bee has no soundtrack. It's called a cast recording. It's only a soundtrack if they played it during the show instead of them singing live. Movies have soundtracks. Broadway musicals have cast recordings.

Now say it with me, "cast recording."

GO CARDINALS!!!

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#42re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 1:27am

The More you Ruv someone -Avenue Q
Without you- Rent
Wait - Sweeney Todd

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

ZONEACE
#43re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 1:30am

hey, Jam_man get over it, you self-righteous prick.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

jam_man
#44re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 1:54am

I'll just ignore the rudeness on your part, first of all.

Secondly, it's definetly not just me who has that pet peave. In fact, virtually everyone on here who really knows anything about Broadway is annoyed by the soundtrack/cast recording confusion.

I would literally bet you the ENTIRE LEFT SIDE OF MY BODY that if I hadn't pointed that out, someone else would have.

GO CARDINALS!!!

ZONEACE
#45re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 2:32am

and I would have made the same response to any of those people who would have filled your place, except instead of self-righteous, i may have called them Sacntimonious or just plain asshole

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

jam_man
#46re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 2:48am

Remind me not to talk to you again.

GO CARDINALS!!!

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#47re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:02am

I have to agree with Without You from RENT. It's a very pretty song but I skip right over it every time I listen to the CR. Also agree with Miss Baltimore Krabs from Hairspray.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

arykahmarye
#48re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:22am

I remember once i was listening to the Jesus Christ Superstar cast recording with my mom, and i skipped over "Gethsemane" (i'm not at all fond of the song), and my mom shouts "You skipped over Jesus's suffering and prayers? You're going to hell!", which i always found funny.

I agree with "Your Eyes" from Rent as being a let down after all the build-up of finding this "one great song".

"Umm...A1 is a steak sauce."

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#49re: Bad songs in Good musicals
Posted: 8/28/05 at 3:23am

i skip pretty much anything Raoul sings in Phantom, am I the only one who would choose the Phantom (erik) over Raoul??

Videos