pixeltracker

Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)- Page 2

Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#25re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/15/06 at 7:51pm

Right on Time was in the show Tuesday, right? It's the perf I saw. If it was, then YES, it is a good song. But it's definitely not a right fit for Laura. She is good in the role, but fast-tempo pop does not fit her vocally. It also is kinda shoehorned into the first scene, when she could've been more subtlely introduced into the plot. I actually think that was probably the weakest moment in the show, so I think cutting the song is a good step.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#26re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/15/06 at 8:45pm

Yeah, Laura should only sing qasioperatic upper range ballads. I agree.

yr ronin,
joey

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#27re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/16/06 at 8:07pm

one song that needs to go is the dumpster song...i found it so annoying.

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#28re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/16/06 at 8:13pm

After seeing the show last night, there is EXTREME potential to be a GREAT show somewhere.. but to even get to it, they MUUUUUUUUUST cut the act two opener about money and the song "Single." Both are TERRIBLE, but especially the act two opener.. they need that ALL reworked!

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#29re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/16/06 at 9:30pm

As a person who saw the "Right on Time" number and the new... "Someday When It's Me" number (I'm guess that is what it is called, it still says "Right on Time" in the playbill) - the new song is a VAST improvement FOR Laura.

Not only is it a LOT more... character driven, but it's less clipped and a bit more lyrical - while still uptempo - and she's darling trying on a veil and bouncing around. They also gave her time onstage and alone during it (helpful)

I thought the "Right on Time" number was catchy, but it didn't say a lot about the character right off and it was hard to follow her after that. But the new song fixes that problem and I thought it was a really good choice. On top of that... Laura looks and sounds a LOT more relaxed doing it. And an entire (superfluous) scene after that song got the axe, everything moves along better.

And I agree about the "Single" song. It slows the show down. And I'm not really sure that needs to be a whole song... couldn't a scene suffice?

Oh - and they HAVE reworked some of the Vegas scene - it was a lot better Friday night than it was when I saw it two weeks ago.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#30re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/16/06 at 9:37pm

what do you think about the money song-act two opener.. i'm curious to see if i'm the only one that hates it so much!

bestnurse Profile Photo
bestnurse
#31re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/16/06 at 11:29pm

Saw the Matinee yesterday and was totally entertained. It was really funny and Stephen Lynch was a natural. The entire cast came out and mingled with the crowd for a long time. The had their picture taken with all who asked and signed autographs. We actually had quite a conversation with Stephen and Laura. It was lots of fun.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#32re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/16/06 at 11:40pm

I agree the "MONEY" song is just not good.
and the staging is awful.
(just my opinion)

RentBoy86
#33re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 12:02am

I kinda like the "its all about the Green" song. I can see why its in there --- to show how Robbie is trying to get a job and whatnot to impress Laura and he realizes that he has to be like everyone else and get a real job. I didn't care of the actual song all that much. I mean it wasn't bad, and I'd def give it another listen when the Cast Recording comes out. I liked the staging. As someone said it was very "Fosse" but maybe that's what they were going for. Its a comedy so maybe it was some sorta homage to Fosse. And the "Single" song is okay. Its not the best song, but its okay. If it were cut the play would still go on, but I like it. I think if it were slightly faster instead of that like mellowed/relaxed beat that they have going it would be much better.

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#34re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 7:23am

As much as I liked "Right on Time" I can see why it didn't fit...that however has NOTHING to do with Laura's voice, which I think sounded heavenly singing that, and, ummm...pretty much anything.
I completely disagree about "All About the Green" It's a fun song, and even if you don't like it, it is pretty pivitol to the plot of the show and cutting it would leave a huge void.

Kicks8567
#35re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 7:30am

I was at the first preview and can't wait to return to the show on May 13th. I hope they will include the cut songs on the cast recording as a bonus. I personally enjoyed both "Wonder" and "Right on Time."

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#36re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 9:40am

I like Wonder and Right on Time a lot too - I think they were both good songs. And I'm with you... I kind of hope they'll hide on the recording somewhere... they're great.

I think the most interesting thing about the new song is how it sort of forces you to look at and think about Laura and her character (she's alone onstage belting it out at the end) and that sort of throws the balance towards her right from the start instead of it whizzing dangerously towards Amy Spanger (which it was doing) - changing that ONE song helped re-align the whole show and I thought that was very interesting because I'd never seen anything like that. I think more shows should make big sweeping changes during previews if it can have THAT kind of effect. It was very odd. But nice.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

Songsstresss Profile Photo
Songsstresss
#37re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 11:56am

Laura's opening song is very cute and fits the character. I never heard the other one, but this one works. I won't go inot how horribly miscast she is, but oy!
I actually kinda like "It's All About the Green" but it needs to be trimmed! It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long!

CurtainPullDowner
#38re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 12:01pm

Fosse-Like????
What are U talking about?
cause they threw their legs in the air?
Fosse's work was isolation and subtle moves.
The staging of the "MONEY" song was nothing like that.
It was a mess!
(again, just my opinion)

RentBoy86
#39re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 2:14pm

Yeah, it was sorta Fosse-ish. Cause they would move and then stop and move and stop. It was very stylized. Calm down.

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#40re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 3:00pm

I thought all of the dancing was very good. Especially when the Thriller moves got busted out!!!

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#41re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 3:09pm

I thought the dancing was cute but nothing... spectacular - but what really sold it to me was how committed and energetic the cast was - so fun to watch! Especially the opening number.. and agreed, the "Thriller" bit - too funny!

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#42re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 3:36pm

So, I saw the show last Thursday for the third time.

I really was sad that "Right on Time" was cut because I was really beginning to like that song. I thought Laura sounded great on it. This new song, while better for the plot, is not of my favorite changes. I also really LOVED Stephen singing the Reprise, especially the "Don't make me wait for love" and my friend saw the matinee and said that she thinks the Reprise was also cut.

I really hate that they cut the scene in the Dumpster with the boys coaching Glenn on how to romance Julia. It was really cute and I thought it worked.

As for "It's All About the Green", I enjoy teh song, but do agree that it's too long. However, I think that it gives Blake a chance to show off his amazing vocals. I don't think its completely necessary, but I don't think it hurts the show.

What I don't really think is necessary is the "Move Your Thang" song with Rosie and George. I know it's cute and sometimes, the audience likes it, but it slows the show down so much for me.

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

tmz814 Profile Photo
tmz814
#43re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/17/06 at 9:12pm

I saw the Saturday evening show. The new song for Laura in the beginning is so much better for the show than "Right on Time". I had right on time stuck in my head for a long time, but I think this song really moves the character along more and makes you feel for her (rather than falling in love with Amy right off the bat). "Pop the Question" was shortened and the choreography was taken out (great idea!). Some scenes have been shortened/changed. They have really tightened up the first act, which I thought was great. The second act still needs tightening. "All About the Green" is way too long and needs desparately to be cut. "Single" is too long and needs some trimming as well. I have never watched the whole movie but isn't "Move Your Thang" a part from the movie (the rapping granny). I guess they could shorten it, but it doesn't really bother me and the audience loves it. The ending in Vegas was also tightened and it plays much better. You don't lose the love story in the mess of all the impersonators.

All in all, great changes so far in my opinion. Hopefully they can tighten up act 2 as well. I can't wait to see it again.

We've all got our junk and my junk is you!

RentBoy86
#44re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/18/06 at 12:20am

Sounds good. Hopefully with some tweaking and rewritting it will get pretty good reviews. I think it has potential to be great. And yeah, the "move your thang" is from the movie. It was like one of those things that people distinctly remember from the movie and so if they cut it then people will be dissappointed. I sorta think they should just move it to the end, but it sorta works where it is. I didn't mind it. I was laughing the whole time and I loved the airplane effect that was during it.

CurtainPullDowner
#45re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/18/06 at 12:45am

I feel the reviews will be awfull
None of the reviewers will have ever seen the Movie or care about it

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#46re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/18/06 at 1:00am

For all this talk abour Laura not having the right voice for the role... well has anyone listened to Rebecca Luker's album "Leaving Home"?

She has a similar style and tone to Benanti and manages with contemporary non-quasioperatic singing on this cdre: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)

Looking forward to hearing the cast recording of Wedding Singer. Its so reassuring that legit voices can still work in the contemporary musical theatre.

camthom Profile Photo
camthom
#47re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/18/06 at 1:08am

Ummm CurtainPull "Downer," we know you hate the show, you haven't posted a single positive remark about it despite nearly everyone else's comments about the show remark how it has been improving greatly during previews. Have you seen the changes they've been making?

And to assume that none of the reviewers have seen the movie or will care about it is simply ignorant.

The movie is on cable every 10 minutes and it was quite popular in the theatres just a few years back.

Just not certain what about Wedding Singer bugs you so much.

RentBoy86
#48re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/18/06 at 1:12am

It doesn't matter if they've seen the movie. The show works as its own entity. Just like Wicked and Color Purple. I didn't read the book to Wicked before I saw it, but I still loved it. Either you went into the show too critical, went in wanting to hate the show, or have no sense of humor, but I don't see how you couldn't have at least enjoyed yourself. There are just some really brillant moments.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#49re: Wedding Singer changes (some spoliers)
Posted: 4/18/06 at 1:13am

I think critics will be very kind to it, actually. Their cup may not run over, but they certainly won't be baring their fangs, I think.

yr ronin,
joey

Videos