Reba's wonderful!

freelancer Profile Photo
freelancer
#25re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:04pm

This show just cemented my true love for Stokes and Danieley. I was WAY up in the nosebleed seats (in fact, I could see myself in the audience shot at the end of the first act), and their voices just SOARED. Lillias White was wonderful as well, and Reba was quite good, though not completely comfortable with the concert setting.

"I'm gonna jump straight up, kick a hole in the moon. Don't know exactly where I'm going, but I'm know I'm gonna get there soon." - Jerry Lukowski (Patrick Wilson) in "The Full Monty"

stokesrocks Profile Photo
stokesrocks
#26re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:09pm

Stokes and Jason definitely sounded the best...but I'm am way too partial to Stokes. He could sing anything and I would go ga ga. Stokes is super talented and kind as well!

stokesrocks
#27re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:09pm

Stokes and Jason definitely sounded the best...but I'm am way too partial to Stokes. He could sing anything and I would go ga ga. Stokes is super talented and kind as well!

stokesrocks
#28re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:10pm

oops...didn't mean to double post!

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#29re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:11pm

Stokes is amazing, even my dad who hates most things theater ate this concert up, also was anyone else playing "spot the body mics" while watching? Some of the actors' were spottable if you looked, but it started to bug me as to why there were the stand mics at the front of the stage.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

stokesrocks
#30re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:13pm

Yeah...something kept shining in his hair. I'm assuming a body microphone.

rose&lark
#31re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:17pm

I thought Reba did well, though at first her "accent" took some getting used to. I only watched bits and pieces of it (will watch it in full later) but I really enjoyed Jason Danieley and Brian Stokes Mitchell's performance...and there was just something about Alec Baldwin in a grass skirt that amused me re: Reba's wonderful! All around a great concert, one that really peaked my interest in this musical!

Q: What is the most weirdest or funniest thing a fan has asked you? Joe Flanigan, Stargate Atlantis: When a fan asked me for help with his grammar. I'm available.

Marguerite Chauvelin
#32re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:21pm

Reba was entertaining

"I'm gonna wash thata mennnnn right owowta ma hair". :)

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#33re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:27pm

I feel so happy.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#34re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/26/06 at 11:35pm

What a wonderful evening.

During Stokes "This Nearly Was Mine" I was in tears.

I have to get the DVD.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#35re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 12:15am

I just finished watching it, and I LOVED it. Everyone was wonderful. I need to buy the cd now.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

DG
#36re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 12:24am

I don't get to see it til tomorrow night, but I'm curious why Reba's southern accent should be an issue at all. Nellie could easily be from the south.

shesamarshmallow
#37re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 12:25am

Did I see Hunter Bell in the ensemble?

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

FoscasBohemianDream
#38re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 12:29am

Reba was wonderful indeed, but I'm sure anyone who saw her performance in Annie Get Your Gun wasn't surprised, she is quite a leading lady.
The cast was just superb, Baldwin was the weakest link, I believe, I don't think he is much of an actor or much a singer for that matter, I always feel he plays his characters as performed by him instead of actually acting, but that's just my opinion.
Brian Stokes Mitchell, Jason Danieley, and Lillias White were just brilliant. Lillias White is such a natural, she never stops surprising me with her performances.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#39re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:00am

Nellie IS from the South. Little Rock, to be exact.

It was just a bit - different - to hear Rodgers and Hammerstein sung in the style of the Grand Ole Opry.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#40re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:32am

You dont have to follow country music to know who Reba is! She is one of the most famous singers ever.

shesamarshmallow
#41re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:40am

I did! I did see Hunter Bell!
http://www.titleofshow.com/blog/index.php?itemid=316

I wish PBS would do this more often.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

jimnysf
#42re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 1:52am

What a score! Simpy sublime.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#43re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:09am

I thought Reba was amazing. I'm sure the producers for the revival will be looking for someone younger, but I hope she's at least considered. imagine what she could do with more rehearsal time...

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#44re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 2:38am

Although I have seen the show on stage many times (and the film versions as well) I was really impressed with the deft editing that got the whole thing down to 1 hour 50 minutes! (Anyone planning a revival, take note: SP does not need to last 3 hours!)

I'd like to hear from others on this but I suspect anyone seeing the show for the first time would have no problem following the plot even in the limited staging done here.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#45re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 3:07pm

ha! I knew something was up with that. I seem to remember the last time I saw it on stage it was about three hours. what did they cut for the concert? I didn't particularly miss anything. except for "My Girl Back Home". I really love that song. but that would have only added a few extra minutes and it still would have been shy of two hours. was it just a lot of dialogue that was cut? all the reprises were still in. those are my favorite moments. Cable's "Bali Ha'i" reprise and his "Younger Than Springtime" reprise.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#46re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 3:25pm

I thought I saw Nancy Anderson in the ensemble too.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Drew7810 Profile Photo
Drew7810
#47re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 3:31pm

I watched last night as well and was a little apprehensive, but my god, Reba's voice soars on it. So crisp and clean, and I love the twang. Signature Reba. LOVELY!

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#48re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 3:39pm

In staged readings of musicals the script is such a hindrance. It just gets in the way.

I thought Reba was fantastic. I loved her in AGYG too. Updated On: 4/27/06 at 03:39 PM

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#49re: Reba's wonderful!
Posted: 4/27/06 at 4:18pm

I thought Reba was sensational, and so was Brian Stokes...the whole concert was wonderful, Lillias White's songs were delightful, especially "Happy Talk". Wasn't in love with Alec Baldwin, though.

I'd love to see Reba in the revival, but she's a bit too old, methinks. (I think Kelli O'Hara is gonna snag that role, though I'd always thought Sutton Foster would be a wonderful Nellie)

This concert has got me all excited for the revival now, lol. I really hope Lillias White gets Mary.

Videos