Understudies

ILUVTOMG Profile Photo
ILUVTOMG
#25re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 10:52am

Maureen Moore in Gypsy AND Song and Dance. Hands down. When I saw Song and Dance people were leaving in droves when they found out BP was out but those of us who stayed stood and cheered at the end of Act One. It was an amzing performance - not as flashy as BP but you really believed she was an Englishwoman lost in America. Seeing her fill in for Peters again, many years later, in Gypsy I was floored - but this time i expected to be floored. Her Rose's Turn was the best I've ever seen. She's a very talented lady. Does anyone know if she ever went on for Cyndi Lauper in 3Penny? Or if ANY of the u/s's ever went on?

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#26re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 12:17pm

Peter Lockyer- Raoul u/s, Phantom of the Opera

Jason Gillman- Freddie u/s, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#27re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 1:40pm

Don't know if this counts, but, Rachel deBenedet in DRS during her two week fill-in between Joanna and Lucie. She was excellent, my favorite Muriel. I saw Jason Gillman as Freddy. He was *okay*, but no Norbert

NJgirl
#28re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 1:45pm

I loved Benjamin Eakeley in Sweeney!! Todd Buonopane going on for Panch in Spelling Bee was another understudy highlight for me. I've also seen Lisa Yuen as Marcy Park and as Rona Lisa and she was fantastic both times. Also, Matthew Scott on for Daniel Reichard in Jersey Boys, I loved.

ILUVTOMG Profile Photo
ILUVTOMG
#29re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 1:48pm

i also loved lachanze when she filled in for kenita miller. i was very disappointed not to see kenita (since i've read that she practically always plays celie) but lachanze was just fine.

admanrich Profile Photo
admanrich
#30re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 2:17pm

Hahahhaha

bwayondabrain
#31re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 2:57pm

haha iluvtomg

yeah, at all 5 shows i saw in NYC when i was there, i saw understudies at each one
the ones that stand out for me were Kenita and Angela (as Celie and Shug) in COLOR PURPLE, and Elisa (as Johanna) in SWEENEY
Cara Cooper also did great as Holly in WEDDING SINGER

Chris T
#32re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 3:47pm

I've seen some great alternates/understudies in London:

Glyn Kerslake as Joe in Sunset; far more cynical than the pretty-boy John Barrowman, really plausable as a writer down on his luck.
Alisa Endsley who covered Norma in London (and eventually in New York) for what seemed an age.
I saw Michael Bauer as Max when he was understudying Daniel Benzali and remember thinking that I preferred him to Benzali. After the first cast change he went on to play Max for the duration of the London run and throughout the UK tour.

The current crop of alternates in Billy Elliot are fab: Gillian Kirkpatrick as Mrs. Wilkinson and David Bardsley as Dad.

Vanessa Leigh-Hicks who used to cover Velma in Chicago was an amazing dancer.
I saw Junix Inocian as the Engineer in Miss Saigon in London when he was understudying the part. It was no surprise when he later won the role full time.
Updated On: 8/8/06 at 03:47 PM

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#33re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 6:02pm

I saw Katie Adams on for Glinda in June of 2005 and holy mother was she incredible. She was one of my favorite Glindas. When I finally saw Kendra in Boston, I honestly wasn't that impressed. Especially compared to Katie.

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#34re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 6:24pm

i saw christine ebersole's understudy in 42nd street....someone named beth leavel???? lol

i was very disapointed at first, but she was great!!!!

and also the understudy for zazu in Lion King about 4 years ago was great as well!

Dollypop
#35re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 6:51pm

Many years ago I saw a matinee of HELLO, DOLLY! and Bibi Osterwald went on for Pearl Bailey. She was very good, but she was the only white person in the cast. Thelma Carpenter was later hired to u/s Pearl.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

prayerforaduck Profile Photo
prayerforaduck
#36re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 9:15pm

I really enjoyed David Burnham and Jennifer Hughes in Piazza - I'm really looking forward to seeing David on tour as Fabrizio.

I thought I knew but now I know that rose trees never grow in New York City

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#37re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 9:24pm

Katrina Rose Diderikisen went on for Tracy during the tour of Hairspray. Paul Schafer went on as Jimmy during Thoroughly Modern Millie on tour and they were both fantastic in their roles. I've also seen understudies I wasn't all too impressed with and I'd rather not share those stories...

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#38re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 9:30pm

The night Jenna Leigh Green got me tickets to see her go on as Elphaba here in Toronto was still one of the most amazing nights of theatre I have experienced. A bunch of my friends happenned to be there that night too and we still talk about it.

Akiva

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#39re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 9:39pm

Updated On: 8/8/06 at 09:39 PM

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#40re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 9:40pm

I forget her name, and I am too lazy to go get my playbill, but when I was in NYC this past Christmas I saw DRS and the understudy for Sherie Rene Scott went on and she was wonderful.

I was so disappointed in not seeing Sherie that I let it hender my enjoyment, but she really had a great voice.

ponine24601
#41re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 9:55pm

~Michelle Kittrell-Penny in Hairspray (Heck, whatever she does is amazing.)
~Julie Connors-Christine in DRS. She blew me out of the water (or out of my seat in this case).
~Cara Cooper-Holly in The Wedding Singer
~Jessica Grove-Miss Dorothy in Thoroughly Modern Millie (before she took over)
~Asa Somers-Boy George in Taboo

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

Broadwayluva Profile Photo
Broadwayluva
#42re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 9:58pm

Colin Hanlon
Robb Sapp
Joe Cassidy
Jenna Leigh Green
THEY WERE AWESOME!!!!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#43re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 11:15pm

Sally, I'm pretty sure you saw Laura Marie Duncan re: Understudies

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#44re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 11:27pm

Scott Davidson as Wilbur Turnblad

matt schneider
#45re: Understudies
Posted: 8/9/06 at 12:52am

Sweeney Todd~Elsia Winter~Johanna

and on broadway most understudys are amazing, so to change this, have anyone had any who were horibble? I havent.

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying

PaintWordPictures Profile Photo
PaintWordPictures
#46re: Understudies
Posted: 8/9/06 at 1:00am

Long, long ago, in a far away land before I knew everything (okay, next to nothing compared to what I know now) about musical theatre, I saw Les Mis. First time ever.

Bart Shatto went on as Jean Valjean. It was incredibly wonderful, even compared to Valjeans I've seen since.

Sometimes I think understudies can be better because they don't get the chance very often and put every ounce of everything in that part cause they never know if/when they'll get to play it again.

matt schneider
#47re: Understudies
Posted: 8/9/06 at 1:51am

they should have a tony for best understudy.

The bushes of Tex were nervous recks because their son was dim, But look what happened to him~Dirrty Rotten Scoundrels~all about Ruprecht They say the thoughtful musicals dead on broadway~forbiden broadway : SVU~The crime scene Never say never, there's always one more person you can hit up~avenue Q.~the money song Life sucks, get a pacifyer~my own saying

alicia_1121 Profile Photo
alicia_1121
#48re: Understudies
Posted: 8/9/06 at 10:24am

During the Toronto run, JLG as Elphaba. Twice! I think it was after SJB was injured in a technical run (?) and Cristy Cates had gone on after being flown in fron NY. Anyway, I was so blown away! I couldn't imagine anyone doing a better job, and she was only the 2nd Elphaba I'd seen (JLG). She still is the best IMHO to date, and I saw Wicked twice on broadway. Which leads me to.. Brandi Chavonne Masey (sp?). She was awesome! Hmm..she was actually stand-by, but whatever. And I'm pretty sure at the end, her mom came out and gave her a thumbs up from the side aisle(House Right) at Gershwin. It was quite adorable. Anyway, I didn't care for Sho too much then, but she was quite sick and was barely able to sing that day, her breathing seemed quite laboured- poor girl! Anyway, I wish JLG were on the tour so I could see her again when it comes to TO in October. She rocks. My only regret is that I never got to see SJB.

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#49re: Understudies
Posted: 8/9/06 at 10:56am

I saw 2 bad understudies:

Earl Carpenter was out when I went all the way to London just to see him re: Understudies His understudy, Rohan Tickell was bad.

Beth Leavel was out of The Drowsy Chaperone, and Linda Griffin was the understudy. Horrible.

Videos