Understudies

afaye11
#0Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:54am

Hi, I was wondering if people have stories about going to a show, having an understudy and being suprisingly impressed. So what was your best understudy performance?

For me it Was Jennifer Barnhart for Kate Monster And Lucy T. Slut at Avenue Q.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#1re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:02pm

I went to see CHICAGO in Ldn for Bonnie Langford. I was really happy to know that I wasnt seeing Amra Faye Wright and her understudy.
But to my surprise, Natalie Edmunds (Velma understudy)'s whole family and her dance students all came to see the show and the atmosphere.... WOW! Have never heard an applause during the understudy announcement, Velma's ATJ entrance, well, her every entrance and exit... HUGE applauses!
Natalie was extremely gd... tall, leggy, great belty voice with a Catherine Zeta Jones wig and she did look like her onstage!
It was one hell of a night as she and Bonnie was SO gd and so much chemistry!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#2re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:39pm

Off-Broadway - Shout the Mod Musical.
I ushered there, and the first time I saw the original girl (Denise Summerford), and thought she was very good. I saw her understudy (Casey Clark), though, the next time I ushered, and she was amazing, and in my opinion, better than Denise.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#3re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:42pm

When I saw Wicked for the second time Jen was out and Megan Hilty was on. After that performance I loved her and saw her 5 more times.

Also, when I saw Gypsy Bernadette was out but Maureen Moore was spectacular.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#4re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:47pm

Millie- Megan Campbell was on for Millie and she was amazing! Plus I think she was around 18 or 19 (never saw Sutton though)
Hairspray- Leslie Kritzer
Wicked- Brandi Massey for Elphaba, instead of Shoshana Bean

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#5re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:50pm

When I saw the Wicked tour Emily Rozek and Jenna Leigh Green were in. Emily does a hilarious Popular.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#6re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:53pm

This is going back almost ten years, but I went to see The Life and Sharon Wilkins went on for Lillias White as Sonja. She absolutely stopped the show and received thunderous applause at the curtain call.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#7re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:53pm

When I caught a matinee of DRS last summer, Joe Cassidy was on for Norbert and he was very good.

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#8re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:56pm

Jenna Leigh Green as Elphaba on the national tour. Well, I knew she was going to be amazing because I was already a fan of hers, but I went to see Stephanie J. Block one more time.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#9re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:07pm

I know everyone will be shocked that my answer is Joe Cassidy for Freddy in DRS re: Understudies

Other understudes I've been impressed with are Laura Marie Duncan as Christine in DRS, Elisa Winter as Johanna in Sweeney, Howie Michael Smith as Princeton/Rod in Avenue Q, Sean McCourt as the Wizard in Wicked, Benjamin Eakeley as Anthony and the Beadle in Sweeney, Michelle Dowdy as Tracy in Hairspray, Saycon Songbleh as Elphaba in Wicked, Jason Gillman as Freddy in DRS, Karmine Alers as Mimi in Rent, Rachel de Benedet as Muriel in DRS, and Patti Coheneur as Margaret in Light in the Piazza. Granted, some of these people started doing the role a couple times a week, others took over, others had done the role...still they were technically understudies when I saw them.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

TheAudrey3 Profile Photo
TheAudrey3
#10re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:13pm

Colin Hanlon as Mark in Rent, Nicolette Hart as Linda in The Wedding Singer, Todd Buonopane as Leaf in ...Spelling Bee, Ben Eakeley in Sweeney, Karmine as Mimi/Maureen in Rent, Timothy J. Alex as Freddy in DRS (covered the night between Norbert and Brian).

"It does what a musical's supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue."

MarkRascati
#11re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:36pm

Understudies were in for both Seaweed and Corny when I saw Hairspray. They were both exelent. I wouldn't have noticed if they hadnt been announced as understudies, though that was the only Hairspray performance I've seen.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#12re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:37pm

Melissa Dye as Cinderella in "Into The Woods."

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/8/07 at 01:37 PM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#13re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:44pm

"Millie- Megan Campbell was on for Millie and she was amazing! Plus I think she was around 18 or 19 (never saw Sutton though)"

YAY Megan! :) She's a family friend of mine. Yes she was pretty much straight out of high school when broadway called. Wish I could've seen her in Millie. Her sister Katie is a great singer as well!

mrs felciano
#14re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 2:20pm

I loved Ben Eakley in Sweeney Todd!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#15re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 2:31pm

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 8/7/06 at 02:31 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#16re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 2:32pm

Tina Maddigan as Julia in "The Wedding Singer"
Patti Cohenour as margaret in "The Light in the Piazza"
Diane Sutherland as Signora Naccarelli in "The Light in the Piazza"
Jason Gillman as Freddy in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"
Shelley Thomas as Paradice in "BKLYN the Musical"

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#17re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 2:33pm

I think I'd walk out if Felicia was out of The Wedding Singer, she is the reason I enjoy the show so much. But glad to read that her u/s is good.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

LooLu
#18re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 3:49pm

Niki Scalera as Jane in Tarzan.

admanrich Profile Photo
admanrich
#19re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 3:53pm

Haven Burton - Maureen u/s in RENT-- AMAZING, they seriously need to switch her with Ava

John Treacy Egan- Max u/s in Producers (Before he was promoted)

Megan Hilty - Wicked (saw her as a standby when JLT was out w/ bronchitis before she took over)

wickedobsessed Profile Photo
wickedobsessed
#20re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 4:03pm

Megan Hilty- She was in for JLT when I saw it (a week before Idina left) and the whole time I couldnt believe that she wasn't the full time Glinda. She really impressed me. I loved her so much I went back to see her for one of her last performances:)

atlsuperstar
#21re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 5:41pm

Kenita Miller is AMAZING as Celie in the color purple. She brings so much to the role. Also Saycon in Wicked, and Crystal for the SEason of Love Soloist that girl can blow Frenchie out of the water.

GreenGirl22406 Profile Photo
GreenGirl22406
#22re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 6:24pm

Even looking forward to Norbert as much as I was (a lot) I enjoyed Jason Gillman.

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever."

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#23re: Understudies
Posted: 8/7/06 at 6:29pm

The first time I saw Altar Boyz, Kevin Kern was on as Luke (also I've seen him as Matthew several times) and he's been one of my favorite theatre since.

Speaking of Kevin, he's currently Stephen Lynch's u/s in The Wedding Singer. :)

bwaylvsong
#24re: Understudies
Posted: 8/8/06 at 10:43am

Jason Gillman- DRS
Lisa Brescia- WiW
Lisa Yuen- Spelling Bee
James Romick- PotO

Videos