pixeltracker

"Little Mermaid": Sound-Bites of Songs- Page 2

"Little Mermaid": Sound-Bites of Songs

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#25'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/12/07 at 11:55pm

"Part of Your World" is Ariel's I WANT song. It should be NOTHING, but joyful, happy, bubbly, and full of determination. The only point it could be taken melancholy is at the end, "Out of the sea, wish I could be, part of your world." That's a character choice though. The entire song is singing about the wonderful things she loves about this world.

Seriously, now?

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#26'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 12:34am

I love this music but I am wedded to the original "sound". We'll have to see. I am not a natural Disney Broadway fan anyway.

misschung
#27'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 12:36am

I'm scared.

lol!!

Part of Your World should be full of determination and strength, but it also requires a lot of youthful optimism and naivete. I think a sweet sounding voice is crucial for the part. I'm sure that the casting directors know about the difference between casting Disney leads versus female leads in other shows, at least I hope so!

I really hope that this is a good production because there are so many great songs in that movie that would sound outstanding with an orchestra and the right voices behind them.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#28'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 3:31am

Kerry's voice was wrong for Ariel. She should sound like an angel.

MerMaggieGalinda
#29'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 8:28am

There's a big difference between sounding young and trying to sound young. Kerry's voice is the latter, and I usually like her voice in things, but her Part of Your World was hard to listen to. You could hear she was trying so hard.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#30'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 9:50am

If you're referring to the whole POYW (not the reprise) - you may want to know that she was ill, doing Seth Rudetsky's radio show and it was a last minute performances.

Not defending the track - just offering a frame of reference

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

broadwaybelle Profile Photo
broadwaybelle
#31'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 9:54am

I think part of your world sounds...weird. In that clip it seems that she doesn't have the "Ariel" voice or a Disney voice for that matter, but I'm still really excited about the show! :)

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#32'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 10:10am

I personally thought Kerry was the weakest voice on that demo recording. The voice singing didn't seem anything like what I had heard from her before... it was weak and frail in an attempt to sound like a teenager, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong at all: I love Kerry. I became a HUGE fan after hearing her on the Little Shop soundtrack, in which I thought she was phenomenal. I am also looking forward to her starring turn in Xanadu this summer.

But, with that said, i'm glad they didn't offer her the role of Ariel. Not only is she too old (I'm not saying she's OLD, just that she obviously isn't 16) for the role, but I don't think he voice fits. Sierra sounds wonderful, as does Titus.

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#33'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 11:41am

I kind of didn't like the Broadway demo because the only instrument used was a piano. I am listening to "Wasting Away" right now and I doesn't give that evil attitude that Ursula had in the movie. It sounds like Ursula is thin instead of fat in the musical than in the movie. I bet that there will be alot of differences besides music. Also that King Triton is played by an African-American, and that it might be "on wheels".

I think that it should be kind of like "The Lion King" with puppets for some of the fish. The fish could be painted flourescent with blacklights on stage, while the puppets' performers will wear black, giving it the effect of under sea life. I saw "The Little Mermaid" and "Finding Nemo" On Ice and that was how it worked. It's just my opinion. And how are they going to do the effect of the mer-people swimming up to the surface? I didn't think that this musical would bring so much confusion and questions that need to be answered! Has this happened before?

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#34'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 2:30pm

Like Sierra's voice :) I think it would be a bit better if she didnt make it too forceful, something like that could probably out damage on your voice.

I don't think Kerry's too old for Ariel. Disney casted a 38 year old Belle (Andrea McArdle) I don't think anyone complained then.
Updated On: 3/13/07 at 02:30 PM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#35'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 2:37pm

jacob-Ursula is not supposed to be thin in theshow. "Wasting Away" is meant t be a comedic song because she is large yet claims to be "wasting away". The song is based off of a line that Ursula says in the movie. And to answer your question of "has this happened before"; if you mean "has an upcoming Broadway production left an awaiting public qith numrous quesions to be asked" then yes. Many high profile musicals do tend to do that.

The only two voices I can compare to an angel's are Lea Salonga's and Liz Callaway's, so I would settle with an actress whose playing Ariel's voice to be a little less than angelic. We shall see.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Josh Freilich
#36'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 3:49pm

I love the way it sounds already.

Even the orchestrations sound top-notch. Who did them?

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#37'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 4:07pm

I don't think Kerry's too old for Ariel. Disney casted a 38 year old Belle (Andrea McArdle) I don't think anyone complained then.

Cast, not casted.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#38'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 4:11pm

I finally listened. The Little Mermaid is (and I say this with only a minimal amount of shame) my favorite movie of all-time. I grew up loving these songs and I still do love them. They sound good, but it's weird to hear anyone else singing this stuff.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 3/13/07 at 04:11 PM

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#39'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 4:52pm

luvtheEmcee,

Don't worry! I'm with you there! Its by FAR my favorite Disney movie of all time, and, as excited as I am to see its musical incarnation, it's just gonna take alot for me to shake the voices of Jodi Benson, Pat Carroll, etc. from my head!

Although, for Sherie Rene, i'll do my damndest!

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#40'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 5:03pm

agreed with whoever said this above me, but i am not sold on sebastian yet either. he has a very distinct voice that is permanently embedded into my brain, and for someone to be a successful sebastian they had better be darn close to the original!
and i think ariel sounds good so far, again it's hard to judge from only less than a dozen words so.. we shall see! i wish them the best of luck! =)

ps- who is playing ariel again? *runs away in shame*

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#41'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 5:09pm

No shame in not knowing, dramaqueen. Ariel is being played by Sierra Boggess. She just finished playing Christine in Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas and on tour as well.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

deck925 Profile Photo
deck925
#42'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs

Her name is Sierra Boggess. I want some concrete information here, the article that annouced Sierra said the rest of the cast should have been announced at the end of February. When are we gonna know!

I'm kind of a sweat pant, t-shirt, no make-up type of girl. So once a year, I can get spiffy. Sutton Foster :)

*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
#42'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs

When I found and listened to the Broadway demo; Kerry was my least favorite part about it. Granted; I really like her as a performer and I think she totally rocked in Hairspray and Little Shop; the role of Ariel didn't quite seem to fit. Though she does bare a striking resemblance to the cartoon character (face wise anyway); her voice sounds too mature for the part.
Sierra's voice on the other hand sounded a little too forceful; but having heard here sing in Phantom I have alot of faith that she will do justice to the character.

*Emcee: Moi aussi 'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs Most of the time if a new production is being mounted I normally don't pay that much attention to it; but TLM has been a very special film to me since I was little, and I'm hoping that all goes well for this.

Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)

theactorsociety Profile Photo
theactorsociety
#44'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 5:26pm

I think Sierra sounds like she's pushing 30. The voice needs to be crytsal clear. Though I don't think she fits the role, Ashley Brown is the perfect voice. If you have heard her do Part of Your World from On The Record it rocks the socks! I put my trust in Disney to cast the "right" voice. Susan Egan, Ashley Brown, Heather Headley, even Josh Strickland fit the songs. The recording will be great, even if the show is as abismal as Tarzan visually.

Redhead0322 Profile Photo
Redhead0322
#45'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 6:49pm

I think Tituss sounds great! "Under the Sea" is going to be a great number. I am however very disappointed with the clip of "Part of Your World", even if it is so small. Ariel is 16 years old, she needs to have a girlish, innocent, poppy, mixed-belt kind of a quality to her voice. That is why Jodi Benson's voice was so perfect. It sounded like a teenage girl's voice, with that sweet crystal clear quality to it. Sierra has a lovely voice, but it just doesn't suit what I think Ariel should sound like. She is TOO soprano for the part. Sierra's voice lends itself towards a Christine-like part, or any other opera-ish part; not a Disney character's voice at all. But, I'll be the first to admit that maybe I'm wrong, and I can't really judge without hearing more. Either way, I'm very excited for this production!

P.S. theactorsociety: I also loved Ashley Brown's "Part of Your World".

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#46'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 11:16pm

She just finished playing Christine in Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas and on tour as well.

Nope, no tour, just Vegas. :)

Why are people saying thaat Sierra sounds forced? To me it sounds like she's singing fairly softly -- that is, with great ease and she's not belting it out or anything.

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#47'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/13/07 at 11:16pm

Double post.
Updated On: 3/13/07 at 11:16 PM

Jmoss7602 Profile Photo
Jmoss7602
#48'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/14/07 at 1:30pm

TITUSS BURGESS IS GOING TO ROCK IT!! HE SOUNDS ABSOLUTLY AMAZING( cause he is!)
Sierra sounds great too! I cant wait!!!

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#49'Little Mermaid': Sound-Bites of Songs
Posted: 3/14/07 at 4:28pm

As shameful as this is for me to admit, the BFF and I are seriously considering a road trip to Denver to see this. It's our favorite Disney movie plus we are total theatre nuts.

Tickets go on sale on Sunday...when she'll be in London. Anyone have an idea as to how much these things will cost? We don't really care where we sit. Thanks!

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Videos