It does depend on the show:

I found front-row at The Golden with "Avenue Q"
and front-row at The Neil Simon with "Hairspray"
to be quite enjoyable!

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#26re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:49pm

front row at The Richard Rodgers isnt bad in terms of stage height- you can see feet and all, but I think especially for Tarzan, the closer to the stage you are, the more youll enjoy it.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#27re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:52pm

Front row center Eugene O'Neill for Sweeney Todd
Front row center Walter Kerr for Grey Gardens

It mostly depends on the show in my opinion!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#28re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:54pm

"I found the front-row at The Neil Simon with "Hairspray" to be quite enjoyable!"

Really? That's the worst one I think. The stage is SO high and the front row of seats is right up against the stage. You're basically looking vertically up the entire show.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#29re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:55pm

Front row for Jersey Boys was wonderful, even in my seat that was way off to the side.

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#30re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:57pm

Definitely the Vivian Beaumont, youre like, level with the stage, it was amazing

Had front row seats at the Hirschfeld over the weekend and thought they were great too
There is some separation between the stage and the front row (due to the orchestra), so its not like youre looking straight up at the show!

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

Zeitoujo
#31re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:58pm

oo ic how's the lunt and broadhurst?

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#32re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:01pm

How's the Palace? Haha, I have Row C (Center) seats for Legally Blonde in July re: theaters where sitting front row is the best

Chardonnay
#33re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:17pm

Ya, Eugene ONeill's front row center looked slightly uncomfortable with the constant Groff shower. I sat front row house left and thoroughly enjoyed it.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#34re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:23pm

TWSFan, I saw Legally Blonde from the 5th row center last night and it was pretty perfect. I can't imagine the 3rd row being much different.

Zeitoujo
#35re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:27pm

3rd row is a little too close.

unckristen Profile Photo
unckristen
#36re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:29pm

A few years back I had a rough time second row at the Music Box. I came out with a horribly stiff neck. I felt so bad for the people in front of me

"She sang each word, the angels heard ... They closed her mouth and shipped her south. The woman's done."

Zeitoujo
#37re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:34pm

ive never been at the music box but ive heard from others its horrrrrrible to sit close up

unckristen Profile Photo
unckristen
#38re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:39pm

It's definitely one to avoid up close. Alternatively, the front mezzanine - even off to the side - was great.

"She sang each word, the angels heard ... They closed her mouth and shipped her south. The woman's done."

Zeitoujo
#39re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 5:11pm

thats good to know.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#40re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 6:03pm

"front row at The Richard Rodgers isnt bad in terms of stage height- you can see feet and all, but I think especially for Tarzan, the closer to the stage you are, the more you'll enjoy it."

At least on the sides, you're REALLY close. Not much leg room. AND...

Beware of "fourth wall" crashing gorillas. One decided to get two inches from my face and scare the crap out of me in the process.

It's a great place to see the show though. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

#41re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 6:16pm

The 2nd time I saw La Cage at The Palace, we were front row center. That was a neck-breaker.

I saw Carrie from front-row center at the Virginia (now the August Wilson, once the ANTA, etc., etc.) and, as I recall, the view was fine and didn't give me neck pain (or any other kind of painre: theaters where sitting front row is the best

Dollypop
#42re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 6:33pm

I loved sitting in the first row at the Gershwin when OKLAHOMA! as playing there. One can never bee too close to Patrick Wilson. Never.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Zeitoujo
#43re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 6:48pm

HAHAHAH!

usmma2010 Profile Photo
usmma2010
#44re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 6:50pm

the broadhurst wasnt as bad as some places, such as the neil simon but it wasnt the best either, neck was stil sore after the show

"and in the end the love you make is equal to the love you take"

Zeitoujo
#45re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 7:52pm

good to know.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#46re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:33pm

I saw AIDA at the Palace and it was probably the highest stage I've ever experienced ! Just remembering it, my neck hurts !!!

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#47re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:34pm

Front row dead center is THE place to sit for Tarzan.

The Hirschfeld was rough to sit front row when Wedding Singer was there because their stage was so high... I'm not sure how it is for Curtains... I was front row mezz for that.

Front row at the Neil Simon can be scary when ensemble members jump over the pit to the walkway... you're so close and it feels like if they misjudge, they will land on you.

The Gershwin wasn't terrible from up there... I enjoyed it.

Front row at the Marquis was excellent. The sightlines look like they could be bad, but they really weren't that bad at all. Sitting up close for Drowsy makes you feel like you're a part of the show.

::bust a move::

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#48re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:36pm

^ Oh yeah. I LOVE Drowsy from the front row.

Of course, I've only SEEN it from the front row! I'm spoiled at Drowsy!!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

beyondblessed Profile Photo
beyondblessed
#49re: theaters where sitting front row is the best
Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:37pm

The Barrymore. Best front row seats ever. If you're lucky Barbara Walsh will flirt with you.

Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.

Videos