pixeltracker

Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT- Page 2

Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT

singingbeauty Profile Photo
singingbeauty
#25re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:21am

i simply don't like her voice, but i thought she showed emotion and stayed on pitch well...

...Christopher Columbus I'll be *ASTONISHING*.. at LAST!!

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#26re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:23am

I was impressed with her, but I really enjoyed all of the performances. I was really pleased with Spring Awakening and Curtains as well.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

croft
#27re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:44am

I actually think that it's hard to choose between Fantasia's performances as she's so consistently good , having said that she appeared genuinely overwhelmed to be there but still delivered the performance of the night for me

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#28re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:10am

It was a good performance. But my question is this, in the past has there been a Regional Theatre winner that had a Broadway musical get its start there? And if so, did that musical perform at the Tonys. I am sure someone here knows. If not, then I just kind of looked at it as an adverstisement for the show which is not fair to the other shows that didn't get a chance to perform. JMO

Just give the world Love.

ICEcreamAssassin Profile Photo
ICEcreamAssassin
#29re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:27am

she did great and looked great in that dress.. i need to see her in CP like .. now!!!!

SHMOKNU
#30re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 5:49am

"It was a good performance. But my question is this, in the past has there been a Regional Theatre winner that had a Broadway musical get its start there? And if so, did that musical perform at the Tonys. "

Well I believe last year's winner was the Intiman Theatre in Seattle which is where Light in the Piazza originated.....so yes, but slightly different circumstance considering that it was a show that opened the current season.

However, I can't get over how many people are like "but y'all! it's so not FAIR"....fair? I didn't really care that it wasn't "fair" because I thought her performance was spectacular, wonderful vocals and so beautifully heartfelt. Yes, it even had a tie-in with the regional theatre winner, which in my opinion does validate it-- But I think more importantly, it showed that the Tonys don't have to go "oh guys, i don't know if this is 100% FAIR to everybody" (i stopped thinking everything was 100% fair in the 2nd grade) and could be an evening to celebrate broadway (which was kind of their idea behind the whole evening anyway). And if this celebration included a performance, that was also a celebrity guest, that was ACTUALLY on broadway right now (not some cheesy guest badly performing some old 'classic'), that was also quite good....I see no reason to complain! I certainly thought it was more enjoyable than many of the more "fair" moments of the broadcast.

So? Not quite fair? maybe, but...do i care? not one bit!

jimnysf
#31re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:13am

Defend it all you want but she didn't belong on the show and neither did the "Jersey Boys". I still haven't heard the reason why they were allowed to perform. They were not from a Regional Theatre being honored and they were not a show that was nominated for anything this season. Both shows were there to promote their National Tours. That can be the only real reason they were allowed to perform while other shows from this season had to get by with "clips".

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#32re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:02am

I loved her performance, I think it was probably a paid advertisement by Oprah, Jersey Boys made a fortune in this past year, so maybe the producers were able to afford the high priced ad. Both shows already performed, but yes, I found Fantasia to be better than LaChanze.
Celebrity performance my a**, the new shows should get to perform, even when they don't win any awards and no one wants to see them perform...

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#33re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:31am

I didn't want to like Her, but She made me!

GIRL. CAN. SING!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

shiksa_goddess Profile Photo
shiksa_goddess
#34re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:33am

I was surprised how well Fantasia did last night. Very touching performance.

As for why she and the Jersey Boys were there? Who cares!? It's nothing to get so pissy over.

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#35re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:49am

Maybe I'm just missing something here...

Sure, Fantasia performed well. She was in her moment. Emotionally, she was very present.

However, was there a melody at ALL to that song? I wasn't sure if it was just bad writing, or if all of her pop "licks" destroyed any hint of a melody.

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#36re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:05am

I just don't get it. The song was HORRIBLE - I haven't been able to get through the Color Purple CD, and I haven't heard a song from it on any shows that have made me care enough to try - and I've NEVER liked Fantasia's voice. She CAN sing, I wouldn't deny that, but her voice just grates on me.

Best performance of the night? Hardly - that would easily go to Raul doing Being Alive.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

thesinger
#37re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:09am

I loved her performence.

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#38re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:16am

goldenboy, search on The-Site-That-Cannot-Be-Named for a video of Fantasia singing "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess on Idol. That was pretty much the performance that sealed her Idol win.

MissPB
#39re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:17am

Tom Hulce loved her performance:

Fantasia Barrino, fresh off a perf on the Tonycast that had "Spring" producer Tom Hulce raving, came to the press room and talked about what it's like to get great reviews for her turn in "The Color Purple."

variety.com

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#40re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:20am

I was disappointed - perhaps all the hype around here was too much. I loved her dress, though.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

wickedfan2 Profile Photo
wickedfan2
#41re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:38am

I loved it. She makes me really think she misses her sisters and I believe she gets so into it that it makes HER cry too. After singing the same song so many times I would think that's hard to do so Props to her. She also made me cry when I went to see her in the show. Love that girl!

JasonM12480
#42re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:41am

She was the absolute best performance of the whole night, hands down.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#43re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:43am

I am not a fan of hers...I rooted against her on AI, and had very low expectations before she performed the CP on AI this year. However, I must grudgingly admit that she performed the song well on AI, and even better last night.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#44re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 9:45am

My only quibble with the performance was the constant grabbing of the microphone that was in front of her. Left hand switching to right hand, and so on.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

Sykes24 Profile Photo
Sykes24
#45re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:32am

I am a fan of Broadway but Fantasia made everything else in the evening look completely lame. She is a superstar!

mortgageguy79 Profile Photo
mortgageguy79
#46re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:37am

"and does she cry at every single performance with that song"

----- I thought the same thing...every time I see her sing she cries at the end, no matter what song.

I liked the performance...she sounded great!

Jack: For your information, most people who meet me do not know that I am gay. Will: Jack, blind and deaf people know you're gay. Dead people know you're gay. Jack: Grace, when you first met me, did you know I was gay? Grace: My dog knew.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#47re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:38am

Best performance of the night !!! LOVED IT !!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#48re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:39am

She was awful. Why is she always crying? She's had a tough life, yeah. So has Elaine Stritch. You don't see her crying every time she sings "The Ladies Who Lunch."

AlanAntonio Profile Photo
AlanAntonio
#49re: Fantasia's Performance: RATE IT
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:42am

PHENOMENAL! MARVELOUS! VERY EMOTIONAL!
I am so sorry I had my reservations about her in the beginning. Now, I am one of the admirers of her talent! La Chanza did not sing that song as well as Fantasia did - not by a long shot! Well done, FANTASIA!

Videos