pixeltracker

Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...- Page 2

Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...

DWalk
#25re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 1:48am

When I saw the title of this thread, the two shows that immediately came to mind (as openings that DO work) were Ragtime and Titanic.

jmponstage Profile Photo
jmponstage
#26re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 2:00am

yeah titanic's clocks in at about 15 minutes i think. but it really works for me. the score and orchestrations are impeccable. all of the exposition is really important to, because it is about all of the information we get about some of the characters for the first hour of the show.

alwy15
#27re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 2:26am

i'm not sure if this counts, but i've always been swept away by the carousel waltz from carousel. while its not really a number as much as it a pantomimed orchestral piece --- its truly breathtaking as an opening when done well.

the song 20 million people from my favorite year, i always thought, was a wonderful opening number and the best part of the show.

jagfkb
#28re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 6:58am

the full opening to Mary Poppins (though long) is one of the best on broadway, due to not only the great new score mixed with the sherman classics, but the amazing cast and the incredible set.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#29re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:45am

FOLLIES. Brilliant.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#30re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 7:57am

I loved the opening of Grand Hotel, which introduced most of the major characters and got all of their stories in motion for about 10-15 minutes, at least, to the point that when the ensemble came forward to sing the end of "The Grand Parade," you didn't quite realize that you were still watching the opening number.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

#31re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 8:04am

Can't believe I forgot this--I LOVE the full, original 1927 opening to SHow Boat with all the choruses, Andy's Ballyhoo, etc as recorded on the 80s archival recording

E

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#32re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 8:05am

For me, no contest - Ragtime is the best opening, music and staging.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#33re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 9:12am

for the person who said Fame's didnt work (you really do have to see the opening performed on stage), Its not a great show but i have a soft spot for it as i did it for over 2 years and i have to say the opening is done really well and pulls you in straight away

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

mortgageguy79 Profile Photo
mortgageguy79
#34re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 9:20am

Titanic's opening was SO long....but SO wonderful!!!

Jack: For your information, most people who meet me do not know that I am gay. Will: Jack, blind and deaf people know you're gay. Dead people know you're gay. Jack: Grace, when you first met me, did you know I was gay? Grace: My dog knew.

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#35re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 9:25am

I actually didnt care much for A CHORUS LINE's opening...for me it was a bit too long

But I think my favorite lengthy opening would be INTO THE WOODS
It's perfect, in my opinion

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

ben4
#36re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 9:30am

I have to say I didn't even remember Titanic had a long opening, but now that everyone's bringing it up I think I should point that I really didn't think anything worked about that musical.

The score for the most part was forgettable and lame and the characters were so one-dimensional that I couldn't find myself caring for any of them. When the ship finally sank, I was truly in disbelief as to how anyone could write such a musical exploiting a tragedy and paying nearly no attention to the characters and people who were on the ship.

I do remember being moved by Thomas Andrews song ("Mr. Andrews Vision") that occured right before the sinking, but that was pretty much it. It remains one of the most baffling enigmas to me that people not only like that musical, but they consider it 'great.'

ThankstoPhantom
#37re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:19pm

Titanic is fantastic.

Into the Woods is definitely my favorite.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Fosse76
#38re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:49pm

The Color Purple's opening in number is too long and irrelevant. Talk about never-ending. I love the opening to Ragtime. A Chorus Line's opening is just too long.

Wicked63
#39re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:56pm

'The Man Behind The Iron Mask' Duchess Theatre London. The opening number went on for 2hrs 30mins until the final curtain! That was along number! Boy!

pianoalex
#40re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:57pm

Wicked,Ragtime,Fiddler on the Roof

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#41re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 1:23pm

Opening Numbers that work:
"Runyonland" from GUYS AND DOLLS, introducing us to the denizens of Times Square.

"I Ain't Down Yet" from 1960's THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. Tammy Grimes was just wonderful in the title part and this number provided a spectacular opening, showing this lady's spunk and willpower.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#42re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 1:27pm

Ah good, I'm not (quite) the first person to mention 'Fiddler On The Roof'. It's a quick crash course in life in Anatevka, and I love every minute of it. :3

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#43re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 1:29pm

Titanic and Into the Woods both have very long openings but in my opinion they are the best openers ever! Oh! And Willkomen!

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
#44re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 1:30pm

I agree with most of you. Especially on Into the Woods and A Chorus Line. I have a soft spot for the opening of JC Superstar and my guilty pleasure...The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, I have seen it done many ways and i'm not usually disappointed in either of those shows.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#45re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 1:31pm

I agree about The Color Purple. God, that opening is bad.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#46re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 1:46pm

I agree with the Fiddler opening. Truly stunning.

I hate the score to My Favorite Year but the opening is top notch.

Jade Profile Photo
Jade
#47re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 2:15pm

Having listened to the High Fidelity cast recording, I actually enjoy most of the opening number although I do skip the "Hiroshima of my soul" part - I just find it strange.

As for opening numbers that don't work, I thought Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' really dragged. It seemed to go on forever, and I just wanted them to get on with the plot.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#48re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 2:23pm

"Ragtime's" opening is really dependent on the cast. I've seen it done wonderfully, but I've seen it done BADLY. And, nine minutes of it being done badly makes you forget how truly brilliant it is when done well.

Love "Fiddler's" opening and "West Side Story's" as well. It's not too long, but it's not short either.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#49re: Lengthy Opening Numbers that Do and Don't Work...
Posted: 6/28/07 at 2:25pm

Nobody's said West Side Story yet?! It's so effective and the music is beautiful.

I agree with Ragtime and Into the Woods. Maybe Company.

Videos