pixeltracker

Movies that could be Broadway musicals- Page 2

Movies that could be Broadway musicals

G_Schlozinski2
#25re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 6:44pm

or how about "In Cold Blood" with a tapdancing finale called, 'the hangman's dance.'

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#26re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 6:46pm

THe Natural would be a great play but not a musical.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

another_reprise Profile Photo
another_reprise
#27re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 9:45pm

Moulin Rouge

and for some reason I'm dying to see Fight Club on stage, (as a play, not a musical). I know there's pretty much no chance in hell of a solid, believable transfer, but I would just love to see that kind of psychological breakdown performed on stage...

Does the sun really rise in the east?
Does the earth really spin around the sun?
What's it matter in the least?
What's real to me ain't real to everyone.

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#28re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 10:36pm

I think that the notebook would make a good musical.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

babycosette21 Profile Photo
babycosette21
#29re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/13/07 at 11:49pm

I would love to see a stage version of O Brother Where art thou? I think it would be perfect on stage. I second the nomination for a Moulin Rouge musical. I would like to see a play version of The Departed(why? I don't know) And just for giggles, The Ring.

MarkRascati
#30re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 12:15am

If there's anyone out there who's seen "Bewitched" they'll know why I want it turned into a musical. It would be perfect.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#31re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 12:23am

A League of Their Own. It has a lot pf potential to be a great stage musical.

And I second O Brother Where Art Thou.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#32re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 12:40am

Carnival of Souls!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

TheFriarsDruggist Profile Photo
TheFriarsDruggist
#33re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 3:39am

-ALADDIN...I've heard rumors, they need to happen.
-The Hunchback of Notre Dame(To me at least, something about that movie's score always felt like it should have been on a stage)

-Jawbreaker
-Cruel Intentions
-Troy
-Pirates Of The Caribbean(I could see Davy Jones' theme music EASILY being given lyrics for one song at least...If they did it right it could be great. They'd probably have to cut out the Kraken attacks though...)

"I am the Phantom of the Opera! I'm the gayest supervillian ever! OoooOOOooooOOOoooh...Beware of my scented candles...OoooOOOooooh...Scented!"

jagfkb
#34re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 5:45am

Though I sound completely crazy,

Star Wars- The Musical Epic

Would be amazing on stage if done right.

Other movies include:

Nightmare Before Christmas
Pocohantas
Freedom Writers

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#35re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 9:06am

If there's anyone out there who's seen "Bewitched" they'll know why I want it turned into a musical. It would be perfect.

Yes, I think that would be a great musical!

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

G_Schlozinski2
#36re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 9:25am

re: "Would be amazing on stage if done right."

ANYTHING is amazing on stage "IF DONE RIGHT."

and the mirror
#37re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 10:19am

Star Wars- The Musical Epic

there's a demo floating around of a Star Wars musical.

G_Schlozinski2
#38re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 10:27am

of course there is...

"And aren't they going to make a movie version of "The Front Runner?" I hear they're casting Paul Newman and Robbie Benson."
(c. 1973)

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#39re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 10:56am

Beautiful Thing
Broken Hearts Club

and call me crazy, but I was thinking of a musical of Theater of Blood. I know there must be fans of this movie around here. Vincent Price and Diana Rigg go around killing critics using deaths from Shakespeare as their guide. So much fun.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

MrsVampyre
#40re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 10:59am

ARen't they going to make a musical verision of the Adams Family.. based on the origianal comic by Charles Adams.. which the TV show was based on?

How much fun could they have with that? The staging, alone would be interesting.. not to mention the music they could come up with.

G_Schlozinski2
#41re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 11:20am

Schlozinski sez: it's axiomatic that an original thought is more likely to occur to one who is standing upon the shoulders of giants.

the addams family (note that the Adams Family involes the succession of early US Presidents, not the marriage of Gomez and Mortitia), in turn was derived from the cartoons of Charles Addams. (And it's pretty obvious that he was derived of a strange family himself...)

It's quite rare that anyone says anything original about the human experience, and those things these days are first noted, in general, by those studying the science of consciousness and the physiology of thought (cf. Lakoff and Johnson, "Philosophy in the Flesh: the embodied mind and its challenge to western thouth" and "The Altruism Equation: seven scientists search for the origins of goodness" -- additional reading might include "Consilience" by E O Wilson).

What makes it art is the craftsmanship.
(see the origin of the word 'art.')

Updated On: 7/14/07 at 11:20 AM

MrsVampyre
#42re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 11:37am

True.. Charles Adams was clearly and indvidualist... to say the least. But it seems that the while the family was different, they were not dysfunctional.. at least in the TV scripts.

What you quoted about the original state about the human experience is true.

But, isn't part of that equation human nature and learned behavior? Like in the song from South Pacific.. "you have to be carefully taught"?

Craftsmanship is only part of makes art, art. It's also the spirt, and soul of the creator. The part of the self, that goes into the work/piece.

Coolness_
#43re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/14/07 at 11:40pm

Moulin Rouge

Little Miss Sunshine hahaha good one.

G_Schlozinski2
#44re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 10:20am

absolutely! no, i'm not talking about little miss sunshine, but about the creation of art.

i wrote elsewhere that one must understand words, the 'nature' of words themselves, and the roots of words in order to understand art. the art (= artifice) of crafting a play is the art of crafting an illusion, a metaphor. all words are metaphors for human experience (just take this for granted, as citing the sources of this assertion would require a bibliography longer than your arm).

we begin with the words, the script, the suspension of disbelief of the artifice on stage; then add to this music and, when well crafted (manipulated), the music describes the ineffible experience of pure 'understanding' behind the words; add dance, and we experience the ineffible experience of pure 'being' (moving through space) --- and here, we approach the sublime.

but only if well crafted.
(cf: witchcraft; bewitched, bothered, and bewildered... and checking out mary daly's wickedary of the english language couldn't hurt, especially if one wants to know why it was particularly threatening to christians to put women on the stage) (regarding the latter, for more advanced thinkers, there's also marjorie garber's 'vested interests: cross dressing and cultural anxiety')

(this is not for you, mrs. vampire, but for those who think musical theatre is all just about song and dance):

DON'T F*&K WITH ME FELLAS! THIS AIN'T MY FIRST TIME AT THE RODEO!

(now, why do we think joan crawford is such a favorite of drag queens... anybody? ... anybody?)
Updated On: 7/15/07 at 10:20 AM

MrsVampyre
#45re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 3:33pm

True. In order to write, and to get your thoughts, feelings, and ideas on paper, one must understand the very essense of the words chosen. How they flow to give meaning of expression, and life, and meaning to the message one wishes to convey.

In a musical, it's not only the words which tells the story. But the music itself moves the storyline forward. Gives insight to a character, event, or fortells what will happen next.

Dance is the expession of feelings, and emotions. The joy of a jitter bug, or the romanace of a slow dance. It too enhances the storyline, and moves it forward.

But, it is only within the well crafted play that all three come together in seamless perfect harmony. Pal Joey is an excelent example with the songs Bewitched, bothered, abd bewildered, and of course Zip. An example of a play that lacked all three elements was CATS.. The music and dance existed, but where was the message, the words, that was to be communicated??

Historically, (Acient Greek) and in Japanese Kabuki (sp?) all roles were protrayed by men. This was based on the society and morales of the times and culture.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#46re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:00pm

Moulin Rouge needs to be on stage NOW. And I always thought The Breakfast Club would make a great play, not musical.

robstyle001
#47re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 5:08pm

i love that thing you do..

that would totally work,

it would rival jersey boys like a mother.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#48re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 5:14pm

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE would be hard... The majority of it takes place in a car... I don't know.

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA with Patti Lupone/ Christine Ebersole and Kelli O'Hara.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#49re: Movies that could be Broadway musicals
Posted: 7/15/07 at 8:35pm

A few I think would be good

- The Prince Of Egypt ( I know some of you will say no because of the religion issue, but look at Jesus Christ Super Star)

- Sandlot

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

- Heavyweights

- Richie Rich

- Zoolander

- My Big Fat Greek Wedding

- That Thing You Do! (I love the idea!)

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

Videos