pixeltracker

Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?- Page 2

Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?

Mattbrain
#25re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 4:26pm

Honestly, I really wanna see a movie of Lestat. I'm sorry but I started reading The Vampire Lestat in Barnes and Noble the other day and I got to this one part of the book and I knew, "If this were the movie version of Lestat, In Paris would go right here."

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#26re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 4:53pm

Wicked
Into the Woods
Brigadoon (getting it right this time)
Big River
City of Angels
Nine (once the strike ends!)
Ragtime
Kiss of the Spider Woman
The Mystery of Edwin Drood (if there was a way to vote for the ending and see the one you picked!)
Merrily We Roll Along (which will never happen)
Jelly's Last Jam
The Most Happy Fella

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 04:53 PM

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#27re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:14pm

I would love to see Sam Mendes direct a new version of Cabaret. I also would love to see a new version of A Chorus Line.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#28re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:21pm

With all the movie remakes going on now... why not a few of the old musicals that didn't work so well the first time:

The Wiz
Man of La Mancha
Guys & Dolls
Carousel
A Little Night Music
Mame
Brigadoon (mentioned earlier)

In the right hands, these could all be wonderful films for a new generation.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

seravance Profile Photo
seravance
#29re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:31pm

Assassins

I don't know how it would work out, but I'd love to see it!

Into the Woods
The Last Five Years
A Little Night Music (better)
Les Miserables
Aida
Sweeney Todd (with people who can sing!)

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#30re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:43pm

I think a Miss Saigon movie would probably be a somewhat big hit in America anyway, ...it's the Vietnam War story that people haven't all heard. But think of the huge budget it'd have to have most likely...well if they decide to include the helicopters (why wouldn't they)... And a Jekyll & Hyde movie would be great and I agree Linda Eder would be great as Lucy, .. but I'm not so sure she'd do it. After going to a concert of hers, its apparent that she really loves her kid & I just couldn't see her taking the 6 months to whenever a year or so to do but who knows.? They said though before they did it that they'd have to get atleast 1 or 2 big name actors to play some of the leads or no producer would do it..or atleast that's what I heard last.

And what about THE WOMAN IN WHITE...it's a great novel! And it's been made on screen before with some success (not really).

And I was thinking about LES MISERABLES as a movie. I think the intro would be great..something of a Pirates of the Caribean opening with the overture and the chain gang music, but I feel like too many changes would have to be made. They'd probably move STARS back to where it was with the original London Cast (right after Valjean goes with Cosette to Paris, as it is in the book), but then again some scenes would look so great. Like the transitiion from "Do You Hear the People Sing?" into "In My Life," etc. ... and how does anyone propose they'd do scenes like ONE DAY MORE, EMPTY CHAIRS AT EMPTY TABLES, and the Finale when the dead come back? I just don't see how the whole thing could work and they can't just cut One Day More nor the Finale, nor change them...I couldn't see too many happy people with that!

HoshiForever Profile Photo
HoshiForever
#31re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:44pm

oooh Assassins could be amazing.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#32re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:46pm

I'd like a more true to stage version of A Chorus Line, just for the vaults.

Of the unfilmed scores, I'd actually like to see LaChiusa's Wild Party (though that will never happen).

Into the Woods with Burton as director.

Hank
#33re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 5:47pm

The Pajama Game, with Harry and Kelly.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#34re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 6:25pm

FOLLIES!
FOLLIES!
FOLLIES!
FOLLIES!
(and Ragtime)

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#35re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 8:43pm

Pajama Game could be fun. It just has to have Harry in though to even get my attention. I picked Wicked but I'm not sure it can be done well on screen? I liked a lot of the suggestions listed here. Some, like Jekyll and Hyde have been done to death in the Movies but with Linda Eders, it will at least be worth listening to. I agree she has a wonderful voice.

Of course I would love to see The Drowsy Chaperone. More camped out with some background added in for entertainment purposes but this can't be too much of a surprise. Rumors still abound.

I would love to see a newer version of Woman of the Year. I have never seen it as a Musical but it does sound inviting.

I'm looking forward to Nine. Of course counting down to Sweeney. I am still also holding out for a great version of Pippin. re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 08:43 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#36re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:11pm

Ragtime
A Chorus Line (done properly this time)
Drowsy
Ragtime! I mean, what...
Into the Woods
The Pajama Game
Aida
Ragtime!

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

The White Half-Mask Profile Photo
The White Half-Mask
#37re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 10:47pm

-Cabaret (1998 Broadway Revival style)
-Company
-Curtains
-Guys and Dolls
-Les Miserables
-The Phantom of the Opera (I know it was just done, but preferably with more Broadway actors in it this time. Maybe Hugh Panaro as The Phantom?)
-Wicked

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#38re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:14pm

I'd love to see Urinetown done.
Ms. Pennywise: Meryl Streep or Glenn Close (with a heavily transposed score)
Officer Lockstock: Kevin Kline
Caldwell B. Cladwell: Kevin Spacey
Hope Cladwell: Anne Hathaway or Amy Adams
Bobby Strong: Jake Gyllenhall
Little Sally: Abigail Breslin, Dakota Fanning or Ellen Page (depending on how they want to display the age)
Judd Apatow or Adam McKay as director? Both seem to have the right feel for this kind of material.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 12/14/07 at 11:14 PM

futurenala Profile Photo
futurenala
#39re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:18pm

Wicked and Aida!

"Robin De Jesus has issues"~ JANET DACAL "Yeah, and that's putting it lightly"~ ANDREA BURNS "If you watched CBS on June 15th , I was nominated for a Tony... And I was in Camp"~ ROBIN DE JESUS "...but I ^&#$@*% made you believe I was Italian!"~MATTHEW MORRISON http://legallybrownonbroadway.com/

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
Rentaholic2
#41re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 12:15am

PARADE.

Directed by Rob Marshall. I think it would be interesting to have certain numbers in the show, particularly during the courtroom scenes, filmed on a sound stage in a sort of dream-world (not exactly like Chicago, but similar). For instance, when Mrs. Fagan sings My Child Will Forgive Me, I always picture Mary doing a ballet in her Easter dress, then when the song talks about heaven, Mary's father comes in and dances with her. And in everyone else's testimonies, we would see Leo Frank portrayed in this 'dream-world' as they are describing him.

Miss Saigon - directed by Alan Parker
Into the Woods - I think it might work as an animated film directed towards adults...maybe even stop-motion?
Les Miz
Ragtime

Avenue Q, Urinetown, and Bat Boy for Showtime or HBO.

Nice poster VonTusselGirl. But on a serious note, I honestly can't see how Spring Awakening would ever work as a movie. I think the play could be a very powerful movie, but I don't think that would be very appealing to the fans of the musical. But hey, with the right director, anything's possible I guess....

Dollypop
#42re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 12:36am

Bloomer Girl

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#43re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 12:38am

Yeah, Spring Awakening could only work if it was an adaptation of the original play, with a cast of unknowns.

broadwayman17
#44re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 3:36am

Jersey Boys
Assassins
Wicked
Avenue Q
Grey Gardens (not counting the upcoming HBO version)
Gypsy
Urinetown

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

worrell4077
#45re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 8:44am

I would like to see Jersey Boys made with JLY, Daniel, Christian, Bobby, and Michael in their original roles and in the others parts like Gyp DeCarlo, Norm Waxman, Mary Delgado, etc, some more reconizable names like maybe Nicholson as Gyp, Reese Witherspoon as Mary, Amanda Bynes as Francine, etc, and cameos from Frankie, Tommy, Bob, Bob Crewe, and Pesci.

I would also love to see a Bat Boy movie done. I think that would be a great musical for Burton to do, but I'm not sure who would be right for any of the roles, maybe Depp as Bat Boy, but who knows.

I would also like to see maybe a remake of Little Shop of Horrors that's more faithful to the stage version and has an unhappy ending with maybe Zach Braff as Seymour and Harvey Fierstein or Nathan Lane as Mushnik(I can't remember who else I would be interesting in seeing in the movie).

I think SpamAlot would translate well to the screen seeing that it was originally a film and with Tim, Hank, and David returning to their original roles with maybe cameos from the living Pythons.

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#46re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/15/07 at 11:53am

I would like to see a new live action movie version of Beauty and the Beast that is based on the stage musical rather than the original film. Basically, I just want them to use all the songs that were added to the stage version.

parislover87 Profile Photo
parislover87
#47re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 12:25pm

whatever happened to the talks of Beyonce as Aida... not that I support it...

It's the music and I'm its hapless victim

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#48re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 1:02pm

Honestly? There are two stage musicals I'd like to see made into a film:

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR. With the right voices, it's excellent and it also has a concept that I find really interesting in these days of "Passion of the Christ." In 1973, Tim Rice wrote a screenplay for the film adaptation at that time (which did turn out well anyway, but I digress). To quote Tim, "I was asked to do a screenplay. I thought, 'Great! Fantastic!' After all, the screenplay already existed in that the lyrics were all there and the story was there, so it was a question really of, 'Do I bring the Roman centurions in from the left or the right?' or 'How many camels are in this scene?' That was what I thought had happened. And I wrote a screenplay rather like Ben Hur (you know, Jesus addresses 20,000 people or armies of Romans stream in from the left). And I think they took one look at that and thought, 'No, that's gonna be $50 million, forget it!' And my screenplay was instantly ditched..."

I'd really like to see that screenplay done, with the right voices.

TANZ DER VAMPIRE. This will take a lot to work as a musical remake, especially in advertising, but I have confidence in the material.

First, the use of the German title tells you a lot...for the screenplay, we basically go back to the German material, but to say the least, there needs to be a bit of cutting to make it work. I say it's only 90 minutes long, and the focus will be on 4 or 5 of the main characters at most. And the score is gutted like a fish, focusing on just a few ongoing themes, with much of the cut music functioning as underscoring.

Rough song list:
"Original Sin"
"A Good Nightmare Comes So Rarely" (new-ish material to pacify fans for cuts)
"Invitation To The Ball"
"Braver Than We Are / Red Boots Ballet / Say A Prayer" (an extended musical sequence, the major production number aside from the finale, a sop to those who like the major numbers in the show)
"Come With Me"
"Total Eclipse Of The Heart"
"Carpe Noctem"
"For Sarah"
"Confession Of A Vampire"
"Finale (Dance Of The Vampires)"

Also, obvious changes besides cuts would come into play. Most of the comedy would be played straight. Krolock needs to be portrayed as a villain you're scared of and don't want to win. Alfred would be more of a hero, less of a sissy. Still ends the same. Vampires win. Hopefully with a great song at the end the audience won't be too upset.

For marketing, it's not too hard to establish the film as a brand. Market it as a Hammer film of yore, with cheesy red text across the poster:

"YOU WILL SEE VAMPIRES BITE!
YOU WILL SEE VAMPIRES KILL!
YOU WILL SEE VAMPIRES...DANCE?"

And "Original Sin," with Krolock singing to the audience, would be an ideal trailer.

This is all just off the top of my head.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#49re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/16/07 at 1:10pm

A Little Shop remake with Alfred Molina as Mushnik

Videos