pixeltracker

Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?

Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?

Movie_Dearest
#1Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 8:55am

With the Golden Globe nominated success of this year's Hairspray and Sweeney Todd, movie musicals are back in vogue, and what better place for inspiration is there then the Broadway stage. Already we have Mamma Mia! and Nine (eventually) on the horizon, but what is the next big stage-to-screen musical that you would like to see most?

Click here to vote!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:02am

Do you mind not joining here just for the sole perpous of shilling out your own blog?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Movie_Dearest
#2re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:08am

God, I hate self-appointed message board monitors.

I've been reading Broadway World for months now and just recently discovered the message boards within the past week. Just because my first post links to my blog does not mean that I joined solely to "shill it".

And thanks for the happy welcome, I thought this would be a fun forum to visit every once and awhile, hopefully you're the exception to the rule.

- kch

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#3re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:10am

No, he's not. This site is full of BOQs (bitter old queens).

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#4re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:17am

I was in Virgin Megastore, and a new CD of J&H had a label saying it was going to be a "major motion picture" soon. Interesting.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#5re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:27am

Welcome, Movie_Dearest re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?

WOW!!! A movie version of Wildhorn's J & H?! AWESOME! I'd love to see that. No matter who plays Henry/Hyde, it will be much better than the stage show preserved forever with Hasselhoff *shivers*

Let's get the LES MIZ one made already *LoL* And NO STUNT CASTING EPONINE!!!... or any of the roles for that matter re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?

MISS SAIGON
WICKED

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#6re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:33am

I think Les Miserables could be the one show they wouldn't have to stunt cast the movie of in order to get people in -- the name recognition of the title would be huge.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

lovinlovett Profile Photo
lovinlovett
#7re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:34am

Jekyll and Hyde? Really? I'm nominating Angelina Jolie to play Lucy - no idea if she can sing. Though these days that doesn't seem to matter! (ha, ha)

Johnny Depp would make a great Dr. Jekyll. And Tim Burton could direct... re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?

Think Tim's up for it again so soon?

EponineAmneris
#8re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 9:35am

Thank you, roseaddams re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen? I would think- and hope- that too.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

lovinlovett
silversurfer2
#10re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 10:11am

Would love to see J&H being made into a film really happen...and done right...Linda Eder should play Lucy, she was fantastic. As for J&H--Whomever is cast, please let them be able to realy SING--This role calls for a SINGER/ACTOR who has a def range, this is a vocally demanding role.

lovinlovett
#11re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 10:13am

Yeah, Linda Eder *should* play Lucy but I'm sure that would never actually happen. Her voice is just incredible.

EponineAmneris
#12re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 10:15am

lovinlovett, what a GREAT idea re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen? Depp/Burton Wildhorn's J & H. Shivers of the good kind *smiles*

But...

Let's get SWEENEY TODD opened first re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?

Linda as Lucy MUST be preserved forever professionally at some point... Please? *bats eyes and smiles*

Updated On: 12/14/07 at 10:15 AM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#13re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:28am

If LES MISERABLES was done, I vote Cate Blanchett as Fantine.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#14re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:48am

Jeckyll? A BAAAAAD show will probably make a BAAAAAD movie.

(It takes a lot to make me walk out of a show I spent $75 on, but that one did it)

And a Les Miserables movie's success is not foretold just because of name recognition. Didn't really work for Phantom...

That said, I'd love to see Les Mis onscreen if done well, in addition to Into The Woods, Miss Saigon, Ragtime, Sunset Boulevard and even something as cheesy as Disney's Aida. (Also still pulling for Nine to get out of development hell.)

Maybe La Cage (keeping the setting in the 70s or early 80s to make it more believable) and perhaps the following done in a small experimental way for HBO: Avenue Q, Company and Last 5 Years.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 11:51am

I voted even though the show I would like to see onscreen isn't listed.

Just give the world Love.

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#16re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 2:37pm

Sunset boulevard (I hope it happens, lol)
Wicked
Avenue Q
Song and dance (lets keep the 80's feel in it) :)

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#17re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 2:42pm

FOLLIES
FOLLIES
and
FOLLIES!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#18re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 2:51pm

FOLLIES
BAT BOY
URINETOWN
LES MISERABLES
WICKED
COMPANY (TV Musical)
AVENUE Q (Studio-filmed Musical for TV)

...there's so many!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

somebear
#19re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 2:53pm

Honestly, I have always seen Wicked done in terms of Tim Burton's stop motion animation. I think he could stylize the OZ of Wicked quite well, like a land of candy coated opression. Its hard to use live players in that setting. Plus, since it would be stop motion animated, could use the original cast voices without worry of grandma playing Elphaba (a la RENT).

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#20re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 2:55pm

"Company" would translate incredibly well the big screen.

And I would love to have Dirty rotten Scoundrels on the screen. Even if it'd be half a remake of a remake. So what, it would be a blast. And a ball. You know.

Edit: gotta add, Kiss of the Spider Woman and Woman of the Year would draw me to the theatres many times....

Ah well. Updated On: 12/14/07 at 02:55 PM

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#21re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 3:06pm

Oooh! I forgot about Urinetown and Bat Boy!

But only if they're done as small, clever $10-15 million films. Down & dirty, like Hedwig perhaps?

Reduce the financial risk, plus neither of these movies need a glossy, splashy adaptation.

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#22re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 3:23pm

I want to see Ragtime and I'd love to see Into the Woods with Anne Hathaway as Cinderella and Abigail Breslin as Little Red. :-P Just thoughts.

Cheers,

Christopher

www.christopherviolett.com

HoshiForever Profile Photo
HoshiForever
#23re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 4:10pm

Ugh. I cannot see Wicked on the screen. May I remind everyone that the musical was made b/c Universal couldn't figure out how to make a movie out of McGuire's amazing book?

I don't think Avenue Q would work well on film either. One of the show's biggest appeal for me is seeing the Puppet/Actor dicotmy and I can't see any director leaving it as actors carrying around puppets....well because it would seem rather strange.

I could see Les Mis or Ragtime working really well. I personally would love to see Aida with Heather and Adam, and I believe the show has a lot of transferable potential, but I doubt it'll happen.

Also, after seeing the Donmar production of Parade and listening to the new Recording a couple times, I think that with a dedicated and amazing director Parade could work amazingly well. But I'd only condone it if JRB and Uhry worked on it too.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#24re: Vote: What Stage Musical Would You Like to See Next on the Big Screen?
Posted: 12/14/07 at 4:15pm

I am dying for an Into The Woods film! And I would like an Aida film done also.

Videos