News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?- Page 2

John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#25re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 8:55am

Stamos as Birdie? That's funny. He is old enough to be cast as Mr. McAfee, but I can see him as Albert.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Yankeefan007
#26re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 9:37am

Bill Irwin is playing Mr. McAfee, apparently.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#27re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 9:41am

Awesome. I'm excited for this show. BYE BYE BIRDIE was the first cast recording I ever owned, and the reason I love theater.

Hopefully Robert Longbottom will do a great job with this show!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#28re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 10:16am

I loved the idea of Eric McCormack as Albert but I do love the idea of Andrea Burns as Rosie. She'd be fantastic.

Yankeefan007
#29re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 10:28am

The casting of Stamos as Albert certainly seems to be an out-of-left-fielder. Isn't Birdie supposed to be the Elvis one?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#30re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 10:33am

Stamos is 45 years old. He's actually too old for Albert, but he's far too old to play Conrad. As I said earlier, he is age appropriate for Mr McAfee (though not the right type - Bill Irwin seems ideal for that role).

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#31re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 10:48am

How old is Albert supposed to be in the script? I kinda assumed mid-thirties and he's been hemming and hawing with marrying Rosie for a decent length of time, right?

I think Stamos can pull it off, age-wise. Frankly, work or work done, I think he looks fantastic and better then he did back in his Full House days (then again, I wasn't a fan of the longer hair he sported in early seasons). And he has a very nice voice that I enjoy listening to. I saw a clip of him in Cabaret and was surprised with what he pulled off there, so I'm curious about him pulling Albert off.

VocalLizzy Profile Photo
VocalLizzy
#32re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 12:09pm

*squeal*

Okay...I LOVE this idea to pieces!

I guess since things didn't work out with "Rock of Ages"...

(that's my attempt at sarcasm, kids - remember THAT rumor silliness?!?!?!)

September can't come soon enough...this is going to be WONDERFUL!

Miss Lizzy

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#33re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 12:17pm

I agree, VocalLizzy. I think Stamos will be good in the role!

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#34re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 12:23pm

I think Albert is an easy role to underplay and therefore make bland. It really requires an actor with strong personality and presence before good singing, I hope Stamos is up to the challenge.

ActingIsLovee
#35re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 12:26pm

While I'm very surprised, I think he could pull it off.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#36re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 12:28pm

I am really excited for this! I cannot wait to make the trip up to see this!! And has anyone seen the logo? I like it!

dramadude Profile Photo
dramadude
broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#38re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 6:33pm

I would love to see Eric McCormack or Seth MacFarlane in the role.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#39re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 6:47pm

I'm not sure how old Dick Van Dyke when he made the movie, but he sure looked like he was 40, as did Janet Leigh. I don't think those two characters need to be younger at all. McAffee can easily be well into his 50's. Conrad should be in his mid-late 20's and the only characters that should be age appropriate are the teens, especially Kim and Hugo.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Cabarob
#40re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 9:05pm

I know that in a revival they can change dialogue - but according to the original script Albert turns 33 during the course of the show - it's a one line joke during the first scene "I'm not 33, I'm a long way from 33, I won't be 33 until tomorrow!" and then never referenced again. Dick Van Dyke was 35 when he opened in the show on Broadway.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#42re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 9:45pm

I love those pictures! Thank you.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

whatever2
#43re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 9:55pm

im not sure i'd believe stamos as precisely 33, but so what? on stage, we wont be able to discern. and look at that picture brody posted -- stamos is liquid hot! a total DILF!

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#44re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 10:30pm

Rosie Perez as Rosie... jk

Dollypop
#45re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 3/31/09 at 10:41pm

I'm still hoping that Eric McCormack (sigh) gets the part.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#46re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 4/1/09 at 9:28am

"You're 33 years old, Albert. You can take a whole aspirin."

I'd like to see Stamos play insecure for a change

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 4/1/09 at 09:28 AM

omguguyz
#47re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 4/1/09 at 3:45pm

he is so perfect for like any role
i can not wait to see this
he is the best actor

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#48re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 4/1/09 at 6:17pm

Rosie.... RUTHIE HENSHALL .... don't I wish!

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#49re: John 'Uncle Jesse' Stamos cast in Roundabout's Bye Bye Birdie?
Posted: 4/1/09 at 6:27pm

I would definitely like to see Stamos back on Broadway, but I don't see him as any character in Bye Bye Birdie.

They should cast Derek Keeling as Conrad. He totally looks the part and has a good voice.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Videos