pixeltracker

In the Heights or 9 to 5?- Page 2

In the Heights or 9 to 5?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#25re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/23/09 at 10:44pm

Drunk, if every number in ITH were crowd pleasing, then how could some of us not like it. :) We were in the crowd and we were not pleased. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

crushgroove
#26re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/23/09 at 11:03pm

Cause you wouldn't know a good time if it bit you in the....

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#27re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/23/09 at 11:10pm

I agree with those who suggest In The Heights. It is a fun show, lots of energy, great dancing, and very good performances. Highly recommended.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/23/09 at 11:12pm

I actually thought Act II was much BETTER than Act I. (And yes, it WAS a pretty weak year for musicals.)

I didn't LOVE ITH, but think it's the better choice of the two.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 6/23/09 at 11:12 PM

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#29re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/23/09 at 11:33pm

9 to 5

the ITH tour is starting, and you can see it on the road.
9 to 5 has some top notch stars, giving incredible performances.

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...
Updated On: 6/23/09 at 11:33 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#30re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 6:09am

In The Heights!!

(And then if you want to know what choreography you missed by not seeing 9 to 5, just set the ITH choreography in an office, change the piragua cart for a mail/supply cart, and you've got it.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#31re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 7:21am

Actually, I just remembered the In the Heights tour is coming to my area this fall, so I could always see it then. Because of this, I might just go for 9 to 5. I need an afternoon of fun/"cute-sy" fluff, and I don't want to miss this cast.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#32re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 8:11am

Any of you guys know when Stephanie J Block will be back please?

kristinchenofan570 Profile Photo
kristinchenofan570
#33re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 10:49am

I always go for shows that you know won't be around as long, so I would see 9 to 5 since you want to see both of them anyways. I was in the same situation of seeing Gypsy or Mamma Mia and I decided to see Gypsy because it was closing in a month and I'm so glad I was able to see it before it closed. You will probably feel the same way too especially with such a good cast!

Remember when drama was only on the stage?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#34re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 11:49am

In the Heights. Yes it's going on tour but I wouldn't want to miss the Broadway cast.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#35re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 12:05pm

9 to 5 as long as Steph is there.... (just my opinion)

bybubble
#36re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 2:31pm

Steph is back. She missed only one show.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#37re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 3:56pm

If you're looking for mindless fun and breezy entertainment, see 9 TO 5. If you're looking for something more meaty and substantial, see IN THE HEIGHTS.

Either way, enjoy it!

(And I still think it's ridiculous that people are saying 9 TO 5 is going to be gone by Fall. How do you know this? Unless you're willing to legitimately post their weekly nut, you can't prove it. I doubt their nut is above $800,000.)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#38re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 4:08pm

I would see 9 to 5. The ITH tour will be just fine for you. Lin-Manuel and Karen are gone anyway. Also, seeing Allison Janney is a real treat. She has a ton of charisma and is such a wonderful actress. See her live in what will probably be her only musical. Seriously, she is joy!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#39re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 5:40pm

In The Heights. No Brainer.

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

DefyGravity777
#40re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 9:25pm

See 9 to 5. All of the cast make it a worthwhile show.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

zoraksferal Profile Photo
zoraksferal
#41re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/24/09 at 10:14pm

Gonna have to cast my vote for 9 to 5.

"It doesn't work when you lick it!"

teka21
#42re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/25/09 at 12:38am

Don't miss In The Heights on Broadway. Javier Munoz is terrific, and compares well to Lin. The show is outstanding- all energy and heart. It deserved all its Tonys- including best musical.

roadmixer
#43re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 12:49am

neverandy... you should know that shows have to speculate on theatres months in advance and so often "have their sights set" on multiple choices that would be suitable due to size of stage facilities or seating - if it is even the case that a show is eager to have the Marquis at this time. Please stop spreading ill-will, rumor and speculation. If you have a fact to share, share it by all means. Otherwise, the person who started the thread merely wanted opinions about which show to see and not cynical misinformation.

Many people's livelihoods depend on the success of these shows. Myself included. It's a good thing that most of these boards are frequented by select people who have too much time on their hands rather than the public who actually enjoy going to Broadway shows - even the ones not favored by the "in crowd".
Updated On: 6/26/09 at 12:49 AM

MrJNLong
#44re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 3:33am

I'm sorry, but I have to encourage you to see In the Heights. I have seen both shows, and the only reason I care is that I would hate for you to give your money to 9 to 5. I found 9 to 5 to be fairly mindless art-making which is such a crime because the subject warrants some thought (a blame I place on Joe Mantello more than anyone else, but I digress...). Oh well.
Both shows are 'fun.' I had more fun in ITH than 9 to 5 by a long shot.
And, I noted you said you wanted to see the stars of 9 to 5, well in my opinion, they don't do anything special. Not even Allison Janney. Totally underwhelmed by her performance. Meg Hilty was better as Glinda, and Stephanie Block is simply not a good actress when she is not singing.
However, Robin DeJesus is still in ITH (he was Tony-nominated for his role) and his performance is one of my favorites I've ever seen. Also, Olga Merediz (also Tony nominated for her role in this), Chris Jackson, Mandy Gonzalez and Janet Dacal (and Andrea Burns if she's still there when you go) are all Original Cast members that you will want the opportunity of seeing. They have a special spirit you won't find anywhere else...
I spent 65 dollars on a 9 to 5 ticket and wished I hadn't. Worse, I felt like a whore for giving them my money instead of some of the more thoughtful and well-put-together shows that were struggling at the time.
Just a warning...
Cheers!

Updated On: 6/26/09 at 03:33 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#45re: In the Heights or 9 to 5?
Posted: 6/26/09 at 3:39am

And I have to agree about the second act of ITH being a lot weaker than the first.

It drags. Quite a lot.

Videos