News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)- Page 20

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

yyys
#475The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 10:15am

Rooting for Kimberly Akimbo and less Some Like It Hot (yeah, not a fan of it....)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#476The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 1:39pm

Best Featured Actress in a Musical is the one I'm most excited to see announced tomorrow. I honestly loved both Bonnie Milligan and Betsy Wolfe so much and can't choose between the two of them.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

MadsonMelo
#477The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 2:29pm

I really think Bonnie the lockiest award of the evening regard the actors in musical.

Honestly? maybe Brandon is more certain, but I see Chastain and Ashford beating the favorites in their categories before Milligan loses this one.

BdwyFan
#478The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 2:36pm

I really think Some Like It Hot will take it !!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#479The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 2:47pm

Some Like It Hot has more appeal to tour which should get it some votes over Kimberly Akimbo.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#480The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 2:58pm

A successful tour has nothing to do with the award for Best Musical.

Bonnie, Brandon and Kimberly Akimbo are locks. 

BdwyFan
#481The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 3:10pm

Not at all. No locks this year.  Just take a look at the teams behind the shows. That’s how it should be looked at.  

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#482The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 3:18pm

ACL2006 said: "Some Like It Hot has more appeal to tour which should get it some votes over Kimberly Akimbo."

People always say stuff like this, but there really isn't much evidence that points to any sort of pattern for shows that tour well winning. 

Gent's Guide won over Aladdin and Beautiful, Fun Home over American in Paris and Something Rotten, Band's Visit over all three of its competitors, Strange Loop over MJ and SIX. 

I'm sure some people vote more for business considerations than on artistic merit. But, my personal theory is that all of that stuff tends to cancel out and let the artistic merit win. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#483The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 3:19pm

Correct. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#484The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 3:23pm

BdwyFan said: "Not at all. No locks this year. Just take a look at the teams behind the shows. That’s how it should be looked at."

I would skeptical of Bonnie and Brandon being locks, even if I think they do both prevail. But, Michael Paulson actually polled Tony voters (it's a gift link for anyone who wants to read) and there are 100% locks this year as there are every year. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#485The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 3:24pm

MadsonMelo said: "I really think Bonnie the lockiest award of the evening regard the actors in musical."

Right show, wrong actor. I think there's no way Victoria Clark doesn't spin a disk. (I'm not saying Bonnie won't win, mind you. )

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MadsonMelo
#486The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 3:34pm

dramamama611 said: "MadsonMelo said: "I really think Bonnie the lockiest award of the evening regard the actors in musical."

Right show, wrong actor. I think there's no way Victoria Clark doesn't spin a disk. (I'm not saying Bonnie won't win, mind you. )
"

In the end, they both been pretty sure since the off-broadway debut in 2021!

BCfitasafiddle
#487The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 4:19pm

Sara Bareilles is posting about her gown fittings and Parade is supposedly doing "This is Not Over Yet." So, despite being WGA members it seems like both Sara and Ben Platt will be at the Tonys! Wonder about Christian Borle and Annaleigh Ashford.

ELP
#488The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 4:38pm

BdwyFan said: "Not at all. No locks this year. Just take a look at the teams behind the shows. That’s how it should be looked at."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/tony-awards-winners-math-predictions-categories-1235511990/

Ensemble1680343767
#489The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 4:43pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Sara Bareilles is posting about her gown fittings and Parade is supposedly doing "This is Not Over Yet." So, despite being WGA members it seems like both Sara and Ben Platt will be at the Tonys! Wonder about Christian Borle and Annaleigh Ashford."

Unless the WGA directory is wrong, it doesn’t appear that Ben is in the WGA. He nor any of the writers of Theater Camp, or the movie itself appear in the directory. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#490The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/10/23 at 4:50pm

jkcohen626 said: "ACL2006 said: "Some Like It Hot has more appeal to tour which should get it some votes over Kimberly Akimbo."

People always say stuff like this, but there really isn't much evidence that points to any sort of pattern for shows that tour well winning.

Gent's Guide won over Aladdin and Beautiful, Fun Home over American in Paris and Something Rotten, Band's Visit over all three of its competitors, Strange Loop over MJ and SIX.

I'm sure some people vote more for business considerations than on artistic merit. But, my personal theory is that all of that stuff tends to cancel out and let the artistic merit win.
"

Yep, I think the tour thing used to be a thing way back when, but that's been thoroughly debunked in recent years with the situations you pointed out. If anything, tour voters might favor a smaller show that can get the Best Musical moniker when it tours vs. something like MJ or Mean Girls that will do fine on tour with or without a Best Musical win.

BoringBoredBoard40
#491The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/11/23 at 1:38am

it seems like SLIH and Kimberly are neck and neck, wonder what show Shucked is pulling more votes from, I know two people who skipped Kimberly and saw Shucked over it for scheduling reasons (keep in mind you could skip a show and still vote in a category this year)

I think Kimberly wins the most awards of any musical but I think it might be in for a slight upset with Best Musical 

Updated On: 6/11/23 at 01:38 AM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#492The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/11/23 at 2:48am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "it seems like SLIH and Kimberly are neck and neck, wonder what show Shucked is pulling more votes from, I know two people who skipped Kimberly and saw Shucked over it for scheduling reasons (keep in mind you could skip a show and still vote in a category this year)

I think Kimberly wins the most awards of any musical but I think it might be in for a slight upset with Best Musical
"

According to Michael Paulson's survey (and yes, I will broken record it b/c it's actual info and not speculation), they are not neck and neck. Kimberly has a solid lead, but will be a plurality winner. Some Like it Hot and Shucked are actually getting around the same amount of votes. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#493The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/11/23 at 3:00am

Michael Paulson only interviewed a 1/5th of the voters so who knows if that 5th just happened to lean towards certain shows, performers, etc (that was the first article I saw placing Topdog/Underdog to win best play revival for example) 

Just because something is leading within a sample doesn't always turn out to be a true trend as we have seen in the last several elections

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#494The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/11/23 at 3:11am

The 2016 and 20 elections poisoned the minds of so many people with regards to trusting polling and statistics and it just makes me so sad! 

JasonC3
#495The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/11/23 at 4:05am

jkcohen626 said: "The 2016 and 20 elections poisoned the minds of so many people with regards to trusting polling and statistics and it just makes me so sad!"

I 100% agree with this sentiment in general.  But if this is a response to anyone questioning Paulson's predictions, it gets a bit shakier for me.  As Paulson states, "This is not a scientific poll, but in past years this exercise has provided a reliable forecast of the ultimate winners in key categories."

So I trust it as far as he does.  But he doesn't tell us how reliable it was in the past nor do we have a margin of error on his current predictions.  As such, I take it as a pretty decent estimation of what the results might be, but the awards might still turn out differently.

Musicaldudepeter
#496The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/11/23 at 9:20am

Is there any chance Ruthie Ann Miles could upset and get a second Tony for her Beggar Woman? when she won in 2015 for Lady Thiang, she was against three performers from Fun Home, and a lot of people predicted Sydney Lucas or Judy Kuhn to take it but Miles won for her understated, but praised performance in a secondary role with not a lot to do. She might take home the gold again for a similar performance. 

yyys
#497The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/11/23 at 9:25am

anything is possible.....rooting for her !

Musicaldudepeter said: "Is there any chance Ruthie Ann Miles could upset and get a second Tony for her Beggar Woman? when she won in 2015 for Lady Thiang, she was against three performers from Fun Home, and a lot of people predicted Sydney Lucas or Judy Kuhn to take it but Miles won for her understated, but praised performance in a secondary role with not a lot to do. She might take home the gold again for a similar performance."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#498The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/11/23 at 9:59am

Musicaldudepeter said: "Is there any chance Ruthie Ann Miles could upset and get a second Tony for her Beggar Woman? when she won in 2015 for Lady Thiang, she was against three performers from Fun Home, and a lot of people predicted Sydney Lucas or Judy Kuhn to take it but Miles won for her understated, but praised performance in a secondary role with not a lot to do. She might take home the gold again for a similar performance."

It’s not impossible but it is extremely unlikely.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Musicaldudepeter
#499The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 6/11/23 at 10:00am

I would love it to happen. There is a LOT of love for Miles in the industry, and I can see a lot of voters ticking her name as a result 

Videos