pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 21

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#500COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/27/23 at 9:32am

teddy1996 said: "another brand new poster for the movie:https://x.com/ezracubero/status/1728147616628633890?s=46

WOW. the posters for this movie are beyond dreadful. it’s either warner bros is trying to sabotage this movie or they didn’t have enough in the budget for a good poster
"

I agree, good graphic design is dead. Long gone are the days of the movie posters that inspired me to be an illustrator and graphic artist. So pedestrian. 

Miserent Profile Photo
Miserent
#501COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/27/23 at 11:31am

The soundtrack is out December 15th.  Definitely looking forward to hearing the new renditions of the songs.

teddy1996
#502COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/27/23 at 2:39pm

someone on twitter who watched a screening said that one of the major songs lost its emotional punch and all the other songs got a bigger reaction than that one. hmmm i wonder if it’s i’m here

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#503COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/27/23 at 5:48pm

Alicia Keys' Lifeline was released on Spotify today.

degrassifan
#504COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/28/23 at 12:13am

I attended a screening of the film last week and I loved it! I’ve never read the book or seen the stage show. I’d never heard any of the songs except “Hell No” prior to watching it. My only frame of reference was the Spielberg film. I thought the new take was phenomenal! There were no weak links in the cast. I also loved the direction of the movie. I was never bored, and it went at a swell pace. I really want to watch it again. I would not be shocked if it was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. It’s probably one of the best things I have watched all year. 

I have now listened to both cast albums since watching the movie. I’ll say one of the new songs, “Workin’” (I think that’s what it’s called?), was nice but very random. Other than that, all the other songs made sense narratively. 

teddy1996
#505COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/28/23 at 12:26pm

this non spoiler review of the movie really makes me more excited: https://x.com/thekalenallen/status/1729518223349997576?s=46

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#506COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 11/29/23 at 3:54pm

In my latest piece for Gold Derby, I dig into how if Danielle Brooks wins Best Supporting Actress for “The Color Purple” this year, she’d be the third performer to lose the Tony, but win the Oscar for the same role.
https://www.goldderby.com/article/2023/danielle-brooks-color-purple-oscars-best-supporting-actress/

Updated On: 11/29/23 at 03:54 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#507COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/3/23 at 10:14am

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#508COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/3/23 at 2:21pm

Good interview with Henson this morning. Loved her comment about the heart beating and the ending was funny.

Just give the world Love.

teddy1996
#509COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/5/23 at 12:04pm

i just learned from someone who watched a screening that too beautiful for words was also cut from the movie and honestly i am extremely upset. i am very annoyed that they threw away a lot of the score for this movie but i’m still looking forward to it regardless. 

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#510COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/7/23 at 10:25am

teddy1996 said: "i just learned from someone who watched a screening that too beautiful for words was also cut from the movie and honestly i am extremely upset. i am very annoyed that they threw away a lot of the score for this movie but i’m still looking forward to it regardless."

They brought back "Ms. Celie's Blues" from the original movie. I much prefer that song anyway.

Nell3
#511COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/7/23 at 9:47pm

Wow. Are they sure? I just read an article that highlighted Too Beautiful for Words as a significant sequence in the film. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#512COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/7/23 at 9:51pm

"Too Beautiful for Words" is listed on the soundtrack, and, regardless, "Miss Celie's Blues" wouldn't replace it anyway. It would replace "Push Da Button," if anything, but it hasn't, since both are in the film.

Rentaholic2
#513COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/8/23 at 7:05am

TaffyDavenport said: ""Too Beautiful for Words" is listed on the soundtrack, and, regardless, "Miss Celie's Blues" wouldn't replace it anyway. It would replace "Push Da Button," if anything, but it hasn't, since both are in the film."

Where is the soundtrack list?  Does it have a release date yet?

The Other One
#514COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/8/23 at 7:15am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "In my latest piece for Gold Derby, I dig into how if Danielle Brooks wins Best Supporting Actress for “The Color Purple” this year, she’d be the third performer to lose the Tony, but win the Oscar for the same role.
https://www.goldderby.com/article/2023/danielle-brooks-color-purple-oscars-best-supporting-actress/
"

Interesting statistic, but I'd be shocked if anyone other than Da Vine Joy Randolph won this year's Best Supporting Actress Oscar.  (Take comfort in the fact that Da Vine was indeed Tony nominated for a role that won an actress an Oscar, albeit years earlier and without music.)

Updated On: 12/8/23 at 07:15 AM

Nell3
#515COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/8/23 at 7:33am

Oprah DID NOT win the Oscar for playing Sofia. These things are not diffiult to look up. And I wouldn't be so dismissive of Danielle's chances. Near universal acclaim from everyone who's seen the film, with many pegging her to WIN without any hesitation. Soundtrack is currently listed on IMDB.com by the way. To be released on December 15th.

The Other One
#516COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/8/23 at 7:42am

Nell3 said: "Oprah DID NOT win the Oscar for playing Sofia. These things are not diffiult to look up. And I wouldn't be so dismissive of Danielle's chances. Near universal acclaim from everyone who's seen the film, with many pegging her to WIN without any hesitation. Soundtrack is currently listed on IMDB.com by the way. To be released on December 15th."

LOL, either you are the one who did not do your research here or I was not clear enough in my original post.  I was referring to the fact that Da 'Vine Joy Randolph was nominated for the Best Featured Actress in a musical Tony for the same role Whoopi Goldberg won an Oscar for in Ghost.  I never said Oprah won an Oscar, I wasn't referring to the original film version of The Color Purple at all.  

I will try to make this clearer in my original post.

Updated On: 12/8/23 at 07:42 AM

Nell3
#517COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/8/23 at 7:45am

My mistake. I'm sorry. 

marytylermoore Profile Photo
marytylermoore
#518COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/9/23 at 10:05pm

Just got back from a screening - overall, I thought it was a solid movie (I've been looking forward to it since it was announced). However, this is largely a remake of the original film that uses some of the material from the musical rather than an adaptation of the musical. For those curious, I'm going to post the songs cut from the musical 

Spoilers below! 

My biggest gripe is that they cut the storyline of Celie and Shug living together later in life so I'm Here is born out of a moment where Celie finally comes face to face with Mister rather than her standing up for herself to Shug. I also thought it was a missed opportunity by cutting the Church Ladies trio. Both Miss Celie's Blues and God is Trying to Tell You Something from the original film have been added to the movie as well. 

Cut Songs: 

• Somebody Gonna Love You
  • Our Prayer
  • That Fine Mister
  • Big Dog 
  • Dear God - Sofia 
  • A Tree Named Sofia 
  • Brown Betty 
  • The large majority of Shug Avery is Coming to Town has been completely dissected and stitched together almost like a chant/rhyme game BUT it is still in the movie
  • All We've Got to Say
  • Dear God - Shug
  • Too Beautiful for Words
  • Uh Oh
  • African Homeland 
  • The Color Purple (however, the reprise still exists!) This was my second largest issue with the movie. 
  • Celie's Curse
  • Any Little Thing
  • What About Love (reprise)
Updated On: 12/9/23 at 10:05 PM

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#519COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/9/23 at 10:56pm

Argh argh 

twotrey
#520COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/9/23 at 11:16pm

"Too Beautiful for Words" is in the film, but not as a number proper. It's used as a record that Mister listens to, and Celie asks who is singing.

QueenTwinnied
#521COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/9/23 at 11:46pm

I’m very disappointed The Color Purple was cut. It’s such a touching and important moment in the show, and I wanted to hear Taraji’s take. 

Also sad to hear the Church Ladies are cut. I guess maybe they wouldn’t work tonally with the film but they’re such a standout in the show :(

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#522COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/10/23 at 9:33am

Do Whoopi & Orpah actually have cameos in the film?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

All So Ozmopolitan
#523COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/10/23 at 10:10am

ACL2006 said: "Do Whoopi & Orpah actually have cameos in the film?"

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Whoopi, yes. She plays the midwife that helps Celie during a birth. Very heartfelt response from the crowd at my screening. Oprah, I don't think so... But perhaps it's so brief that I missed it. 

teddy1996
#524COLOR PURPLE movie musical currently in development
Posted: 12/10/23 at 10:27am

marytylermoore said: "Just got back from a screening - overall, I thought it was a solid movie (I've been looking forward to it since it was announced). However, this is largely a remake of the original film that uses some of the material from the musical rather than an adaptation of the musical. For those curious, I'm going to post the songs cut from the musical

Spoilers below!

My biggest gripe is that they cut the storyline of Celie and Shug living together later in life so I'm Here is born out of a moment where Celie finally comes face to face with Mister rather than her standing up for herself to Shug. I also thought it was a missed opportunity by cutting the Church Ladies trio. Both Miss Celie's Blues and God is Trying to Tell You Something from the original film have been added to the movie as well.

Cut Songs:

• Somebody Gonna Love You
  • Our Prayer
  • That Fine Mister
  • Big Dog
  • Dear God - Sofia
  • A Tree Named Sofia
  • Brown Betty
  • The large majority of Shug Avery is Coming to Town has been completely dissected and stitched together almost like a chant/rhyme game BUT it is still in the movie
  • All We've Got to Say
  • Dear God - Shug
  • Too Beautiful for Words
  • Uh Oh
  • African Homeland
  • The Color Purple (however, the reprise still exists!) This was my second largest issue with the movie.
  • Celie's Curse
  • Any Little Thing
  • What About Love (reprise)

"

to make a film adaptation of a musical just to cut half of the material is ridiculous 

Videos