pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 25

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#600Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:33pm

Are we all in agreement that Best Play nominations will be Oslo, Sweat, Indecent, and ADHP2?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#601Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:36pm

Unless the reviews for Doll's House Pt. 2 are mixed to negative, I think those will be the nominees.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#602Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:38pm

Way too early 2017 Tony predictionsKate Baldwin just may sneak in this category now after receiving rave reviews.

Best Featured Actress Musical

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ViniFromBrazil
#603Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:55pm

Valentina3 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "What are people thinking for Revival of a Play? Is the award itself basically between Jitney and Little Foxes?"

I think so, with Jitney probably taking the win. I haven't seen Little Foxes yet; though from reviews and b-rolls I think that production is more about the actresses, costumes, and the set. As a whole, Jitney was very well done.

Does The Play That Goes Wrong have a shot at the win? I think it will likely be nominated, but we have heavy hitters with Olso, Indecent, Sweat, and... Heisenberg (is this even a contender)?

"

I loved "Jitney", but do you guys think it's strong enough to win even though it's already closed? After the reviews I still think "Little Foxes" will win but if Jitney gets it I'm gonne be so thrilled!!! Another possibility: is it possible to "Present Laughter" be the "Boeing-Boening" of the season and win Tonys as Best Revival and Best Actor?

About "The Play That Goes Wrong", the only thing that's keeping me from taking it out of the nominees in any category is JJ Abrams.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#604Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 12:58pm

I think Sweat winning the Pulitzer, as well as being well reviewed makes it the front runner for Best Play. That's my prediction.

PaulWom
#605Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 1:03pm

JudyDenmark-- You're completely right, re: different strokes for different folks. Brittain's performance was one of the most moving of the year to me, and to many others, and this is why: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/broadways-biggest-question-who-will-stand-in-the_us_58f2e120e4b04cae050dc81b

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#606Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 1:04pm

Sorry to bring the conversation back to Revival of a Play, but I'm curious.

To reiterate, the potential nominees are: The Cherry OrchardThe Front PageThe Glass MenagerieJitney, Les Liaisons DangereusesThe Little FoxesPresent LaughterThe Price, and Six Degrees of Separation.

"Locks," I think, are Jitney and The Little Foxes.

Which other productions are you thinking will get noms? I'm leaning toward The Front Page and Present Laughter to round out the category.

Updated On: 4/22/17 at 01:04 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#607Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 1:09pm

It seems to me that the other two would be Six Degrees of Separation and Present Laughter, but The Price could also get in there. Wouldn't be surprised if The Front Page were totally forgotten. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#608Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 2:05pm

PaulWom said: "JudyDenmark-- You're completely right, re: different strokes for different folks. Brittain's performance was one of the most moving of the year to me, and to many others, and this is why: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/broadways-biggest-question-who-will-stand-in-the_us_58f2e120e4b04cae050dc81b"

That article is about the material - it doesn't even mention Brittain Ashford. I just didn't "get" Great Comet as a whole, other than being wowed by the technical elements. I'm actually giving it another chance in a couple of weeks from front mezzanine since so many people seem to love the show so much. I had terrible seats the first time, which I'm sure soured me on the whole thing. But I could see Sonya Alone very clearly, and I distinctly remember sitting in the theatre thinking how painfully boring that song was, and how much I disliked the singer's voice*. I also had no idea what was happening in the plot so, per the point of that article, it's very possible that I would've received it better if I did. I'm hoping to appreciate it more the second time around, and I plan on thoroughly reading a plot summary before I go. 

*Edited to say that singers with affectations almost always musically annoy me, which really has nothing to do with her performance itself. 

Updated On: 4/21/17 at 02:05 PM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#609Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 3:39pm

poisonivy2 said: "In terms of Best Featured Actor really enjoyed Rodney Hicks in Come From Away. I thought he added a lot of down to earth humor in a show that often veered dangerously close to sap. 

"

I think one of the CFA men will be nominated to honor the ensemble as a whole. It's so hard to choose between them though! I would end up giving the edge to Chad Kimball. I wish the supporting actress category wasn't so stacked so we could get 2 or 3 CFA ladies in there - they all were so good.

What do people think of Mr. Gideon Glick's chances? 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#610Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 3:46pm

I think Glick will be nominated. Not sure about taking it home, though, but it's a fairly weak category this year.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#611Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 3:47pm

I think he'll be nominated for sure, and it's possible he could win. It won't help that the show will have closed, but who else really is a frontrunner? Kevin Kline, I guess? 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#612Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 4:05pm

I would definitely nominate Rodney Hicks. He was a standout for me!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Willie4316
#613Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 6:25pm

Best Musical: Dear Evan Hansen

Best Revival of a Musical: Hello, Dolly!

Best Leading Actor in a Musical: Ben Platt 

Best Leading Actress in a Musical: Bette Midler 

Best Featured Actor in a Musical: Lucas Steele 

Best Featured Actress in a Musical: Rachel Bay Jones

Best Book of a Musical: Dear Evan Hansen

Best Original Score: Great Comet

Best Orchestrations: Great Comet

Best Direction: Dear Evan Hansen

Best Lighting Design: Dear Evan Hansen

Best Scenic Design in a Musical: Great Comet

Willie4316
#614Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 6:25pm

Double post

Updated On: 4/22/17 at 06:25 PM

cam5y
#615Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 8:21pm

Best Musical: Come From Away

Best Featured Actor in a Musical: Gavin Creel

Best Featured Actress in a Musical: Jenn Colella

Best Book of a Musical: Come From Away

Best Original Score: Dear Evan Hansen

Best Direction: Come From Away

Best Lighting Design: Dear Evan Hansen

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#616Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 8:29pm

This will be Mrs. Arcelus first Tony.

Stephanatic

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#617Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/21/17 at 8:58pm

Best Musical: Dear Evan Hansen

Best Featured Actor in a Musical: Lucas Steele 

Best Featured Actress in a Musical: Rachel Bay Jones

Best Book of a Musical: Come From Away

Best Original Score: Dear Evan Hansen

Best Direction: Great Comet

Best Lighting Design: Great Comet

Jarethan
#618Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/22/17 at 11:23am

ViniFromBrazil said: "Valentina3 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "What are people thinking for Revival of a Play? Is the award itself basically between Jitney and Little Foxes?"

I think so, with Jitney probably taking the win. I haven't seen Little Foxes yet; though from reviews and b-rolls I think that production is more about the actresses, costumes, and the set. As a whole, Jitney was very well done.

Does The Play That Goes Wrong have a shot at the win? I think it will likely be nominated, but we have heavy hitters with Olso, Indecent, Sweat, and... Heisenberg (is this even a contender)?

"

I loved "Jitney", but do you guys think it's strong enough to win even though it's already closed? After the reviews I still think "Little Foxes" will win but if Jitney gets it I'm gonne be so thrilled!!! Another possibility: is it possible to "Present Laughter" be the "Boeing-Boening" of the season and win Tonys as Best Revival and Best Actor?

About "The Play That Goes Wrong", the only thing that's keeping me from taking it out of the nominees in any category is JJ Abrams.

The show's reviews were too mixed to win revival.  Think Kline is the winner.  Its not a great year and he is playing the type of role that he won two previous Tony's for.  That could hurt, but its over 40 years ago.

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#619Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/22/17 at 12:39pm

What are Laura Dreyfuss' chances of being nominated? I feel like she'll get in one just because of the show, but I feel like she's been left out of a lot of predictions...

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#620Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/22/17 at 12:49pm

dianamorales said: "What are Laura Dreyfuss' chances of being nominated? I feel like she'll get in one just because of the show, but I feel like she's been left out of a lot of predictions..."

I didn't find her to be anything special.  She was good, but her role could be played by lots of others equally as good.  She didn't elevate it, for me at least.

froote
#621Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/22/17 at 12:58pm

She wont get in. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#622Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/22/17 at 4:59pm

Super cool video with Great Comet set designer Mimi Lien describing the "bunker" outside the actual seating area in the Imperial. Ridiculously brilliant. She's a total lock for Scenic Design (and I hope the visual brilliance of the show will help to push the show toward a Best Musical win, too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHWswuhNWWk

bear88
#623Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/22/17 at 9:16pm

I really enjoyed Great Comet last week (and thanks for strongly recommending it, BroadwayConcierge) but hasn't it fallen out of the Best New Musical conversation? Even the critical raves were laced with caveats (more style than substance, et cetera) and many people here didn't like it at all. Everything I've read has been about Dear Evan Hansen and Come From Away.

I am no expert on these awards, but it seems like the biggest variables will be the voters' response to Come From Away and Hello, Dolly, neither of which I saw. We know the latter is a lock for best revival and for Bette Midler, but how many other folks are not only nominated but win? It depends on whether the show is viewed as a Midler star vehicle (as Brantley did) or a fantastic revival with a bunch of other award-worthy performances - and direction - as well (as many other reviews and folks on this board have).

As for Come From Away, it has not dealt with the backlash of the sort currently faced by Dear Evan Hansen. And it seems to be benefiting from a desire for a feel-good-about-humanity show in the age of Trump. I can easily see the show winning best musical, and it probably has a chance at book and possibly direction. Or it could win nothing, but continue to thrive on word of mouth. 

I would be a little surprised if Rachel Chavkin didn't win as best director for Comet, but I don't think she's a lock. 

My uneducated guesses on the musicals:

Best Musical - Dear Evan Hansen

Best Revival of a Musical - Hello, Dolly

Best Leading Actor in a Musical - Ben Platt

Best Leading Actress in a Musical - Bette Midler

Best Featured Actor in a Musical - Gavin Creel

Best Featured Actress in a Musical - Rachel Bay Jones

Best Book - Come From Away

Best Score - Dear Evan Hansen

Best Orchestrations - Great Comet

Best Director - Rachel Chavkin

Best Lighting Design - Great Comet

Best Scenic Design - Great Comet

Updated On: 4/22/17 at 09:16 PM

froote
#624Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/22/17 at 9:24pm

I could see a world in which CFA and DEH split the votes for the emotional, pulling on your heartstrings shows and Comet came through the middle for being the innovative, landmark artistic achievement.

Videos