pixeltracker

RIEDEL: Spider-Man "The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History" SHOW is OFF.- Page 3

RIEDEL: Spider-Man "The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History" SHOW is OFF.

broadwayomgomg Profile Photo
broadwayomgomg
#51re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 9:36pm

"If a show like In The Heights costs $10 and that has a good size cast, big set, lights, and other stuff then this must be huge."

In the Heights doesn't really have that big of a set compared to many other "big" musicals. Its also a stationary set which is much simpler in design. The size of the cast is more of the weekly nut vs the initial investment. In the Heights also has very minimal costumes that you can buy in any store today while a show like Wicked one dress can cost 60,000. Not saying I didn't like the show just saying that I can see why it is much cheaper to produce vs. a show like Wicked or and "big " musicals. Also Wicked was produced over 5 years ago if it was produced today I'm sure it would have been more then 14 million.

FindingNamo
#52re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 9:40pm

I can't believe premium seats are only $275. Who won't want premium seats if they're that cheap?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TreyKenyon Profile Photo
TreyKenyon
#53re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 10:13pm

Namo --- Can you elaborate on what you mean by Vegas being a "Cirque City"? I know Cirque has a near monopoly on shows in Vegas, but would Vegas really dictate a change in director/producers? Jersey Boys, Phantom ,and Mamma Mia seem to be doing well out there and I think Spiderman would be a good fit and possible more financially feasible out there. I remember seeing pictures in one of the threads on here of Cirque's KA (or something like that) and the set was IMPRESSIVE lol and probably had a budget similar to Spiderman.

Wicked Tour (2/26/08); Wicked Bway (7/1/08); HAIR (7/1/09); Rock of Ages (7/2/09); Wicked Bway (7/3/09); Mary Poppins Tour (8/2/09); Wicked Tour (11/18/09); Wicked Tour (12/5/09)

AndAllThatJazz22
#54re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 10:15pm

What I meant by the accurate post thing is..um, Riedel is known to be a gossiper.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#55re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/12/09 at 10:17pm

Which is the case here. He read ATC, embellished the crap out of it & passed it off as fact. Real good journalism there Reidel.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#56re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 11:57am

Yes, JAZZ - Riedel wants to be a modern day Walter Winchell (Look it up on Wikipedia). Of course Winchell had taste, a poison pen, and a unique writing style. Riedel has ... many anonymous sources. But in this case if agents are being told to look for other work for their clients, I would believe Riedel over the show's mouthpieces.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Maxp
#57re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 1:24pm

Perhaps Reidel has his ears to the ground but from what I hear is that they are about to bring on a new investor who clearly has stated that Miss Taymor needs to be reigned in and that Hello has to monitor a bit more effectively the way that checks are flying out the window. While Garfinkles head was on the cutting board the realization that no one could reign in Taymor seems to have come to a head and all should go back to work in a few weeks with a slap to the wrist before another check is cut.
Stay tuned Chickens

Hex3 Profile Photo
Hex3
#58re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 4:44pm

Well, a friend of mine is in it. I actually think she's going to start going over some of the "flying" stunts tonight. So as far as I know Reidel is full of it.

Fosse76
#59re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 6:07pm

It doesn't really matter whether or not they continue with the show. There is no way the show can recoup unless it because a Wicked-esqu hit, which is unlikely...and even then will take at least a decade.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#60re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 6:17pm

^It matters to everyone who is excited, curious, or morbidly curious about the show.

The Vegas thing is actually a very good idea. The Phantom production cost $35 million and seems to be going very strong.

Updated On: 8/13/09 at 06:17 PM

AndAllThatJazz22
#61re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 6:28pm

$35 million?!?!?!?! What the hell is so special about the Vegas version of Phantom?

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

Scarywarhol
#62re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 6:30pm

It is EPIC, full of all kinds of unnecessary and awesome effects. Also, the theater was built specifically for the production.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#63re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 6:35pm

The Vegas Phantom is hilariously stupid and entertaining. I thought it was s FANTASTIC experience, and money well spent -- mine and theirs!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Scarywarhol
#64re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 6:36pm

As always on this subject, agreed.

AndAllThatJazz22
#65re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/13/09 at 6:37pm

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I just looked at some clips and images and it is full of all different kinds of awesome.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#66re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/31/09 at 10:13am

I just saw on the news that Disney is buying Marvel Comics. I was just wondering if this may now have some affect on the show. Not sure when the deal will be done but could they step in as a producer now?

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 8/31/09 at 10:13 AM

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#67re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/31/09 at 10:23am

I thought we were done with this (like Sarah Palin and Jon and Kate and Lindsay Lohan but like zombies from the grave.....)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#68Disney buys Marvel
Posted: 8/31/09 at 10:32am

That's why I found a thread to post it in instead of starting a new one.

Updated On: 8/31/09 at 10:32 AM

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#70re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/31/09 at 10:48am

I just posted that above. Didn't post the article though.

Fosse76
#71re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/31/09 at 10:48am

"according to google news Marvel is being sold to Disney..I wonder how this will impact the show..."

It shouldn't have any impact...depending on how it is being produced: i.e., was Spiderman merely licensed to the producers to create a show, or is Marvel completely in control. If the latter, then it will be affected. If the former, it will have no bearing.

#72re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/31/09 at 11:31am

It's standard operating procedure when an acquisition gets serious to freeze any big moves until the new owners take over. And it's SOP to "go quiet" until the deal is official.

So assume the investors told the producers in early Aug: "you can't have any more Spider-Man money, but we can't tell you why," and assume the producers asked "does this mean the show is dead?" and the answer was "no, an opening is still possible, but we can't say why."

That would explain the show's strange zombie-like status all month, and why they denied it was the final nail in the coffin. A thorough (public) explanation of why it was undead would have been against the law until this morning.

It also explains why Disney was so silent about what would follow Mermaid, which closed yesterday. Indeed, months ago they must have known they were acquiring Marvel, along with Spider-Man, U2, Julie Taymor, and her Lion King magic.

wonkit
#73re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/31/09 at 11:41am

BroadwayLocal - well said, and completely plausible.

Completely OT - I have always wondered what insurance company would be crazy enough to insure this production, either for non-completion purposes or accidents. The biggest budget item is probably an insurance premium!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#74re: RIEDEL: Spider-Man 'The Biggest Fiasco in Broadway History'
Posted: 8/31/09 at 11:56am

A very good guess, Broadway Local. I'll bet you end up being right.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Videos