pixeltracker

Now is Our Time, Ragtime: The Official Ragtime Love Thread- Page 3

Now is Our Time, Ragtime: The Official Ragtime Love Thread

Oldschool
#50listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 2:31pm

The ATC flailing is mere speculation, at best. There is such palpable Ragtime hate over there that my suspicion is that some of the folks have skin in the game. Many were judging ticket sales over this past week, a week when many leave town or have family and don't go to the theatre. It's a tough economy and other new shows aren't fairing any better, like Finian's that arguably got better reviews. I see these boards as anything but definitive information about the status of shows. Time of course will tell....
Updated On: 11/29/09 at 02:31 PM

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#51listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 2:35pm

Utter nonsense and completely false...especially to quote the posts of one or two disgruntled ATC posters ?!
LJAY889 - we have discussed before: this show has a sizable advance and a huge group sales volume coming.
That ATC discussion is essentially a dog fight between two long-term rivals who disagree on the show, and is becoming a one-upsmanship contest getting out of hand
Shame on you to spread these rumors to this board

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#52listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 2:43pm

Oh, please. I wasn't even the first
one to bring up the rumor here. I like the show, but let's face the facts.

violet72 Profile Photo
violet72
#53listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 2:52pm

Saw the show yesterday and I loved it,I was in the orchestra and it was packed. I saw the original one with the original cast and loved it but this one is so much more then the obp.

Noll was fantastick. She brought so much to mother you could see her journey. Petkoff was also very good ans was Father

Steggert just brought so much more to younger brother then the original, he was amazing.
Didn't get to see Quentin Earl Darrington, so I will be returning to see him. His understudy was good but his voice wasn't as powerful. Stehpanie Umoh was good but it was hard not to compare her to Audra who was amazing, but she makes the part her own

I loved the direction, the set, the costumes. I can't wait to see this again I am bringing my family back with me

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself"

musicalman2
#54listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 3:39pm

I loved Ragtime, but it is losing money each week. The show is under-reserved in terms of capitalization, and I am concerned that they are having to dip into the reserves way too much. I am not sure why this show is not catching on, but it is a really fine production and deserves to succeed in IMO.

Oldschool
#55listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 4:00pm

My problem with the speculative and premature postings of Ragtime's eminent demise is that they are just that, speculative. None have suggested that a notice is coming out, say, tomorrow. They're all two weeks, a few weeks or whatever. These people have no information. If the producers were satisfied that there was no point in continuing, they'd announce and be done with it. That hasn't happened. My understanding is that they had enough of an advance to carry them into February or March. Whether that proves to be true is a whole other ballgame.

Harpz2006
#56listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 4:45pm

In that recent Boston Globe article, Stephanie Umoh was calculating her pay for three years in the role of Sarah to pay off her student loans!

Oldschool
#57listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 4:46pm

I have it directly from a member of the production that this is all BS and they have been told they are in it for a while.

Shakeshafte
#58listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 4:52pm

Its amazing what the malicious gossip on ATC can accomplish - I've stopped reading that site because of their rabid posts proclaiming the demise of various shows (Matthew Broderick in "Starry Messenger", "Finians Rainbow", "Fela"). It seems that All That Chat has become more of a mosh pit of bitter jibes. Personally, I wouldn't believe anything thats posted there...

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#59listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 5:51pm

Actually if you want to be accurate, this board started the negative rumor mill about The Starry Messenger and there was more support on the ATC board for that production than ever appeared on this one. There has not been one posting about that show since the positive reviews came out. As I have said before, go and see for yourself and make your own judgements on productions. Ragtime is fantastic, so go out and enjoy.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Oldschool
#60listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 6:37pm

Lack of support, as defined by someone posting praises, is a little different than the rabid hate happening at ACT.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#61listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/29/09 at 6:53pm

Saw Terrence this afternoon and he has certainly improved.

Now Stephanie is on vocal rest too, so let's hope she doesn't end up out this week as well.

Eleah
#62listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/30/09 at 2:54pm

They just put up the getting ready rag on youtube. Quentin has so much energy in it, and love the choreography.

TheEnchantedHunter
#63listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/30/09 at 6:59pm

"I haven't been this moved by a show in a long time. I used an entire package of tissues"

Oh, dear.

Updated On: 12/8/09 at 06:59 PM

Shakeshafte
#64listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 11/30/09 at 7:30pm

I found it interesting to see the shows that Ben Branley picked as theatre picks for the 2009 New York Times Holidy Gift Guide:

“Next to Normal,” “Wishful Drinking,” “Hair,” “Fela,” "Ragtime", “Brief Encounter,” and “South Pacific”

And although his notice isn't as astute as it could as to what the appeal and artisty is (in my opinion) for "Ragtime":

For the perpetual pedant (and/or student) who believes art should be instructive, informative and, if possible, morally uplifting: The elegant revival of "Ragtime," at the Neil Simon Theater, presents a panoramic vision of early 20th-century America, replete with sociological analysis and cameos by famous figures from history, including Emma Goldman and Harry Houdini. Adapted from E.L. Doctorow's best-selling novel, the show also features an assortment of full-throated anthems (by Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens) shaped to churn up patriotic chills among those who lean left. Probably not for Palin-istas.
Link to Ragtime's listing as NY Times Holiday Pick.

So at least he acknowledtes that this is a pick for under: Tickets for Every Taste. I'm glad to see that he at least recognizes the appeal and the quality of this show... (especially during the holiday)....

New York Times lists of theatre shows as holiday picks

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#65listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/1/09 at 1:25pm

I saw Archie as Coalhouse this past Saturday night. He had a little trouble in the soliloquoy and was about a measure behind the music for a bit. HOWEVER, for someone who has done as little professional work as he has, I was definitely impressed with the mixture of both strength and calculation he brought to the role. It was clear that he hadn't been on too often, but I was still impressed.

taylorPHENOMENON2
#66listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/1/09 at 2:24pm

Also echoing how impressive he is for such little rehearsal time. I wonder if Stephanie will be out tonight.

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#67listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/1/09 at 6:22pm

Finally going to see Ragtime tomorrow. I can't wait!

bwaybabe2
#68listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/1/09 at 7:14pm

Making arrangements to see this! Those sets are hauntingly amazing! I still cannot believe that my wish for this to come to Broadway came true, and with almost the same cast as DC! listen to THAT Ragtime.

TheEnchantedHunter
#69listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/2/09 at 12:02am

"For the perpetual pedant (and/or student) who believes art should be instructive, informative and, if possible, morally uplifting: The elegant revival of "Ragtime," at the Neil Simon Theater, presents a panoramic vision of early 20th-century America, replete with sociological analysis and cameos by famous figures from history, including Emma Goldman and Harry Houdini. Adapted from E.L. Doctorow's best-selling novel, the show also features an assortment of full-throated anthems (by Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens) shaped to churn up patriotic chills among those who lean left. Probably not for Palin-istas.
Link to Ragtime's listing as NY Times Holiday Pick."

R-i-g-h-t. Describing the show as entertaining and educational as Sunday school is SURE to sell tickets.
Updated On: 12/2/09 at 12:02 AM

Shakeshafte
#70listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/2/09 at 1:31am

I actually think the review in Variety says it more to the point, (although it does sound like someone from the Ragtime team might have written it):

"This is musical theater at is most vibrant. No show investigates the nuances of the word 'change' as it relates to the American Dream more masterfully than RAGTIME. Trenchant and timely, Marcia Milgrom Dodge's elegant revival is delivered with fresh clarity and emotional immediacy. The focus is intimate, the sorrows piercing and the joys uplifting! The creative team is working at peak potential. Under Marica Milgrom Dodge's assured direction, the impeccable cast plays like perfectly tuned instruments. The score is beautifully sung and played with all the exquisite dimension only a full-size orchestra can bring, making RAGTIME a transporting sensory experience."

- David Rooney, VARIETY

taylorPHENOMENON2
#71listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/2/09 at 8:22am

Saw Whoopi was at the show last night...wish I could watch the View to see what she has to say!!!

taylorPHENOMENON2
#72listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/16/09 at 8:41am

Anyone else get a chance to attend the talk back last night? It was wonderful. Marcia, Stephen, and Lynn were there in addition to the entire cast. I really hope they choose to do this every week.

Yankeefan007
#73listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/16/09 at 9:41am

I am attending Saturday evening's performance.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#74listen to THAT Ragtime.
Posted: 12/16/09 at 10:24am

I'm so glad to hear the talkbacks are fun! I'm planning on playing lotto next Tuesday night because I would love to hear a talkback.

Videos