They SHOULD have been asking the question:

"Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?"

". . . POP . . ."

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#515-Week Hiatus for Spider-Man
Posted: 3/8/11 at 1:08pm

I feel sorry for her to a point.
The woman has devoted so much time to this show and was so excited about it, it must be awful seeing it all come and done and the be hearing about the possibility of her getting pushed from her own show. She has created some wonderful visuals for the show but yes someone should have pointed out that her script was not working. We can all joke about her but it still must be very hard.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#52Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 2:04pm

You can waste all of the time that you want, feeling sorry for her.

Fact is, she screwed up big time, wasted a lot of time and money and all because she doesn't seem to know what the fcuk she's doing.

This should NEVER have gone this far without a clear plan. There was none. The script sucks, the show sucks and they could have done 10 other new shows for what was wasted on this mess.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

ActingIsLovee
#53Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 2:07pm

Just curious, how much did it cost to produce "The Lion King"?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#54Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 2:09pm

I have to agree about the whiff of misogyny here.

Was there this level of bile towards Bartlett Sher when WOMEN ON THE VERGE...was struggling? The cries of "witch" and suggestions of mental illness?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

jimmycurry01
#55Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 2:16pm

"Was there this level of bile towards Bartlett Sher when WOMEN ON THE VERGE...was struggling? The cries of "witch" and suggestions of mental illness?"

Women on the Verge didn't cost this much. It wasn't in previews this long. When it was in previews changes were actually being made. It actually opened. It was part of a theatre company's season and not intended to be a mega-hit open run musical. Sher was held responsible for the mess that it was, especially here.

broadwayguy2
#56Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 2:16pm

Borstal, the Mess of VERGE vs the Mess of Spidey are two entirely different ballparks here. Personally, my distain for Taymor here has nothing to do with gender. I would hold any director to the same standard.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#57Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 2:29pm

"I'm not sure they if they have a lot of experience, but they certainly know the difference between a good show and a bad one."

I am not so sure about that seeing the mess that this show is in. JMO

Just give the world Love.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#58Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 2:30pm

I also have a feeling if Mantello were doing the SAME thing (e.g., spending $65 Million, delaying openings multiple times, slamming actors into the wall/floor/each other) AND ignoring offers for assistance/improvement, he would be receiving the same level of confusion as to why. It's fine to THINK it's misogyny and that's a nice excuse, but I don't buy it. There are too many facts supporting the issue that this director doesn't know how to take constructive suggestions.

". . . POP . . ."

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#59Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 2:34pm

Oh, I am in no way a Taymor defender! I just kind of feel like the level of punishment here transcends mere disdain. Utter, amazed, jaw-dropped disdain. Whatever. If nothing else we are certainly witnessing Broadway history here.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#60Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 2:36pm

I now have an image of Taymor stuck in a spider web screaming "Help Me! Help Me!"

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheatreDiva90016
#61Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 3:00pm

Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!

I'll help her, all right...

And it has nothing to do with her being a woman. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that she's a hot mess.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#62Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 3:43pm

If you are going to play the misogyny card (and I do believe it exists as does homophobia, racism and other prjudices) back it up with some facts (calling her a witch is not quite enough) If as you say a lot of the bashing points that way, prove it.
As far as how much was spent on THE LION KING, Disney doesn't usually let those numbers out, they just say when their shows re-coup and we are suppose to believe them. And there were many stories of problems with Taymor during the process of putting up that show.
SongsndDance, as a producer and a performer, how do you feel about a writer or director who show up for work without a finished script (I don't mean one that needs changes, but an unfinished one)? I believe in growth and working during rehearsals but sooner or later you must deliver the goods.
As stated it's hard to feel sorry for someone throwing around that much money with such poor results.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#63Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 3:57pm

There is no reason to feel Julie at all. This show essentially was supposed to be opened over a year ago, and it is scary to hear and read how nothing good has happened in that time frame. It also makes me wonder what they were doing before that to why it wasn't ready then. To me, the gender of whoever created the mess doesn't matter. It just reflects poorly on them.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#64Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 4:11pm

Thing is, if it were JUST about money (ESPECIALLY in this economy) it would STILL be justified. But there's so much more involved here.

1) MAJOR injuries and safety issues for the actors
2) UNPRECIDENTED delays
3) UNFINISHED book
4) ISSUES with the reliability of the "technology" of the show
5) INFLEXIBILITY with implementing needed changes

I'm sure there are MANY more issues I haven't even enumerated. I'm sure this show is going to be on the record books for YEARS to come, and not for good reasons. Any director at the helm of a project with this many UNPRECIDENTED issues would be feeling the heat. The fact that Taymor has not accepted responsibility OR attempted to obtain some guidance on what to do next only fuels the fires.

". . . POP . . ."

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#65Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 4:44pm

Great points, Hannah...

And don't forget, they lost 2 stars (Alan Cumming & Evan Rachel Wood) before even going into rehearsals, which is never a good sign...

This show has been destined for failure, I will be shocked if it ever opens and, for that matter, is successful/critically praised/nominated for any awards.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#66Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 6:01pm

"Help me Help me" makes me think of the ending of the 50's version of The Fly.

Poster Emeritus

TheatreDiva90016
#67Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 6:05pm

"Help me Help me" makes me think of the ending of the 50's version of The Fly."

Well, yea, because that's what the poster was referring to.

Thanks for picking up on that.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#68Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 7:48pm

Soooooo are we leaning towards her being fired? Or her accepting help? I personally see her holding the cast/crew hostage in the Foxwood before they even let someone touch her precious err.."art"

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

CAX
#69Still Waiting to Hear The Facts And Not From Some Crappy BLAHG!
Posted: 3/8/11 at 8:42pm

Resisted the temptation to talk about this too much, but I will say it's sad on a lot of fronts.

As people have said to no end... the waste of this kind of cash is unfathomable in any economy but in this one I would think the producers would be doing everything in their power to prove they haven't actually snorted away 65 M big ones on Spidercrack which leads me to believe it's probably gone and going....

In trying to step back and view it from a remotely constructive place it seems to me that it's a simple case of wearing too many hats while juggling sharp knives in the kitchen. Had Taymor the objective distance of director to see the parts of her script that aren't working, progress could be made. Likewise, if another director was sifting through her script and brought up shortcomings, as a writer she'd be forced to work on that....

The question I find most interesting is... if they fire her, does the show sink to the bottom of the sea? I may be wrong but I'd imagine she must have ownership of her intellectual property... her director's vision, her staging... so can they keep any parts of the production if they ditch her? Or do they keep paying her even after she's been let go? If they can't keep what she has contributed thus far, won't they be starting at square one? And if they start at square one, do they have to raise $65 M more? to start over?

Videos