pixeltracker

2011 Drama Desk Award Winners- Page 3

2011 Drama Desk Award Winners

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#502011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:00am

Exactly, and since the playwright is the person who accepts the award, it should be an award for the best script. War Horse is definitely NOT that.

AlfieByrne
#512011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:05am

Best Set Design to McLane's Anything Goes...? Also, I very much don't understand how Norbert won best actor.

Also, a bit unrelated, but why are there separate categories for Best Sound Design in a play and in a musical? If that's the case, then shouldn't lighting design be split, considering how music definitely affects the lighting cues significantly?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#522011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:07am

Alfie, I've never understood that separation. I don't expect Anything Goes to pick up the Tony for set. I am guessing Book of Mormon will pick that up in the potential sweep.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#532011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:17am

I hope they don't. I loved Mormon but the set wasn't that great. I think I would have liked it better if the legs weren't the weird canvas-y thing. I think it framed it oddly.

So happy for Sutton and Laura as well as Norbert.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#542011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:20am

I think I would have liked it better if the legs weren't the weird canvas-y thing. I think it framed it oddly.

I have no idea what this means.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#552011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:41am

The legs of the of the wings? On the side of the stage. I don't know, that's what I call them. They looked kinda of ugly to me and as I remember they were there permanently there after the show went to Africa. The only way I can think of too describe them is worn leather/ burnt paper combo. They are in my profile picture.

Updated On: 5/24/11 at 12:41 AM

beautywickedlover
#562011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:54am

"Boo. Sad for Patina"

I'm sure Patina will be fine. She's already won a whatsonstage.com Theatergoers' Choice Award (while she was doing the West End production) and she's also won a Theater World Award. This role was really a breakthrough role for her and the beginning of a fantastic Broadway career.

Updated On: 5/24/11 at 12:54 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#572011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:56am

Come on..I think anyone would be disappointed not to win an award.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#582011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:58am

Regardless for how she feels, I am still sad FOR her, lol.

ETA: And p.s., the whatsonstage awards in London are equivalent to the Broadway.com awards over here (a.k.a. illegit). Updated On: 5/24/11 at 12:58 AM

pair-o-dice
#592011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 1:01am

How did NEWSical not win??? Wasn't it the only, like, ACTUAL revue??? And it was good and ORIGINAL!

Sad for O'Malley and Patina as well.

Glad Bengal Tiger won the design awards it won.

Super happy for Sleep No More...VERY deserved!

beautywickedlover
#602011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 1:07am

Come on..I think anyone would be disappointed not to win an award.

I changed my post.

"ETA: And p.s., the whatsonstage awards in London are equivalent to the Broadway.com awards over here (a.k.a. illegit)."

I know that, but she said winning that award meant a lot to her. Plus, I remember Aaron Tveit said that winning a broadway.com Audience Award took some of the pain away for not being nominated for a Tony. And to conclude the subject Patina also said that being NOMINATED for a Tony was a huge dream of her's and it happened in her Broadway debut.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#612011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 1:11am

I for one am thrilled about the 3 musical acting catagorys (sans Featured Actor) and hope that is a sign of the Tony Winners. I agree that Featured should have been Wopat's from the start and since he isnt nominated while I dont mind Larroquette winning I would love to see it go to Colman Domingo

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

uptowndowntown
#622011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 2:43am

MFWithTheHAT at the Tonys? Does Cannavale pull off the upset and win there too? Does Yul Vazquez win - remember Bedford is in Lead category. Does Elizabeth Rodriguez win as both Brantley and Isherwood said she deserves - she won Outer Critics but wasn't nominated for a Drama Desk, which is crazy! And does Guirgis win for the play since Tony voters are mostly theater professionals, not a handful on dot.com critics who vote for Drama Desks, and hopefully they'll vote for a play with a good SCRIPT instead of good puppets. I think will come down to Hat vs. War Horse and Good People, Cannavale vs. Rylance and possibly Mantello, Rodriguez vs. Falco and Light (Barkin is a sentimental choice but her performance can't compare to those three). Director will probably go to War Horse. Mormon should sweep, maybe a Scottsboro surprise. Rabe vs. McDormand, Sutton will and should win. Same with Benanti. New predictions anyone? Now that Outer Critics, Theatre World, Drama Desk and Drama League have all weighed-in...what do you think?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#632011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 6:26am

Actually, the "dot.com critics" as you put it are the ones more likely to award a script that is NOT War Horse. The Tony voters are going to eat up the spectacle the way they always do. But yes, interesting questions regarding the play acting categories. McDormand's biggest competition isn't Rabe, unfortunately (I would hand Lily the Tony right now if it were mine to give). Her biggest competition is Arianda.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#642011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 6:59am

So thrilled for Benanti! She is pretty much the only one I care about. I realize at this point that Patina's chances are pretty bad but I'm still hoping!

I just really hope Rory O'Malley doesn't win. I don't know if I just cant remember anything the night I saw it or what but I have no idea what he did in the show. His character was miniscule and he doesn't deserve it.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#652011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 8:01am

'ETA: And p.s., the whatsonstage awards in London are equivalent to the Broadway.com awards over here (a.k.a. illegit).'

Why, because audienecs vote for them?
Ive never understood why when audiences vote (the ones who keep a show running and the reason any show exists) are seen as silly or 'illegit'

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#662011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 9:32am

Well, the category of actor in a play just got more interesting-I thought Rylance would easily win. And let's not forget that the actors from The Normal Heart are nominated for Tonys. I'm personally hoping Mantello can pull it off. (I think Ellen Barkin is going to win and John Benjamin Hickey will win as well.) I am interested to see if the Tonys give The Normal Heart some love. (And it winning best director may have been my favorite 'upset' of the evening.)

bwayfan7000
#672011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 9:58am

Very very glad to see a Benanti win here. But some of the rest of them...Larroquette? Cannavale? Butz? Really? Just...very surprising. I hope the Tonys do not shape up like this.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#682011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 10:20am

I loved Larroquette. I thought he was the best part of How to Succeed (which I actually enjoyed). I'm glad he got some recognition for his performance.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#692011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 10:42am

So so so excited about Benanti! I really hope she takes home her second Tony for WOMEN ON THE VERGE. That'd be all kinds of amazing. When was the last time someone won Tonys within a three year period? It reminds me of Donna Murphy winning lead actress in '94 and '96. She can't be denied.
Josh Gad wasn't nominated for a Drama Desk so he wasn't in the running here, I still think he has a pretty good chance at getting the Tony, but maybe Butz is more in contention than I thought.
I can't believe Cannavale won! Does he have any chance of actually getting the Tony? I mean, Mark Rylance did win the Drama League. What an interesting race. It'd be so neat if both Sutton Foster and Bobby Cannavale won!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#702011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 10:44am

Drunk Chita Rivera: O'Malley is kind of the leader of the Mormon missionaries in Uganda. He also is the main featured performer in "Turn it Off" which is a pretty fantastic number. I don't know if I agree with him being nominated for that but he does do quite a bit in the show. I think he's also the angel Moroni in the pageant sequences.

Ed_Mottershead
#712011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 12:32pm

I have no problem with Cannavale winning because all the nominees were giving fantastic performances and I would have been hard put to make a decision. I guess I feel a little badly for Rylance because of the double-duty job he did this year -- it's been zillions of years since an actor has pulled that off and so magnificently, to boot.

I do have a problem with War Horse winning for Best Play, however. Don't get me wrong -- I had a great time and thought the staging was one of the most spectacular that I've ever seen EVER. But underneath it all, I don't think you have all that great a play, particularly considering it was contending with Good People, Mother F*CKer, Jerusalem, Bengal Tiger -- all of which I consider better and more thought-provoking plays. Just my thought.

BroadwayEd

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#722011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 1:40pm

Very, very surprised about Mark Rylance not winning. I had thought that it was essentially a two-horse race between him and Joe Mantello (with Rylance having a big leg up), so with Mantello ineligible because of The Normal Heart's ensemble award, it's surprising he didn't pick it up handily.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#732011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 2:25pm

Although I do enjoy O'Malley as a performer, he didn't stand out enough for me to warrant any kind of award. Let's be real, his role is a glorified ensemble role. There's no real resolution for his character either. (The book of Book of Mormon could have been way better.)

I am hoping with every fiber of my being that Benanti takes home her second Tony. Her performance in Women on the Verge was brilliant. Now that she has the Outer Critics Circle and Drama Desk, seems like Tony #2 can't be too far away, right?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#742011 Drama Desk Award Winners
Posted: 5/24/11 at 2:28pm

Although I do enjoy O'Malley as a performer, he didn't stand out enough for me to warrant any kind of award. Let's be real, his role is a glorified ensemble role.

EXACTLY!

Videos