pixeltracker

Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT- Page 3

Raven-Symoné to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#50Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:28pm

"Having suffered through Rashidra Scott as Deloris, I can tell you that Patina really does bring a lot to the role, both in terms of comedy and singing."

Ooh I'd like to hear more about Rashidra since I haven't heard anything about her as Deloris.

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#51Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:29pm

The only person bashing Patina hasn't even seen her performance.

Updated On: 1/31/12 at 01:29 PM

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#52Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:33pm

I'm not saying Patina isn't very talented, I just don't feel that 'it' factor others were saying she has. Someone just mentioned she would get one more show after this and then her career would be over. Well frankly there aren't that many roles for her because Broadway is still the "great white way". There are entire seasons that go by without roles for African Americans, Asians, Latinos, to name a few. But there are always white roles.

To be fair the show came at the wrong time in the wrong decade. Maybe 15 years ago this could have been something "new" or fresh but it isn't. It will be a great show to tour and for regional productions but that's it.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#53Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:42pm

Did I call it or did I call it?

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#54Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:45pm

You were the one who said it in the grosses thread, right?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#55Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:50pm

I did. I do believe it was the 1/8 grosses thread :) .

If I didn't say it before I'll say it now, this may shock you but this girl has a fan base. Those same girls who made "The Cheetah Girls" platinum are still around and I wouldn't be shocked if they buy tickets. My mother and I were going to NYC in the early spring and were just going to hit up TKTS for show tickets with no intentions of seeing any specific. Now are we going to make sure we see this. I grew up watching "Thats' So Raven" (in face me and other 20 something year old friends still laugh about that show) and my mom loves "The Cosby Show". So if they want tickets sold, they can raise the count by 2.

bobbybaby85
#56Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:51pm

It'd be pretty amazing if Phylicia Rashad stepped in as Mother Superior.

You can bet your ass if that happened, a Cosby reunion in Sister Act, the show would sell out for a while.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 1:56pm

Phylicia would probably make a very good Mother Superior. But her big song would have to be drastically lowered. Although she's a more capable singer than Whoopi.

The great Carolee Carmello isn't going anywhere though.

Updated On: 1/31/12 at 01:56 PM

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#58Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 2:30pm

Excellent stunt casting.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#59Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 2:59pm

Throw in Malcolm Jamal Warner as the lovestruck cop, and I'm there!

theeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
#60Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 3:21pm

Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

It makes sense to star cast Deloris and Patina Miller does need vocal rest. However, I was hoping they'd star cast the Mother Superior and bring over Cynthia Erivo to repeat her Deloris on Broadway. (Erivo's 5ft nothing as well, and it didn't detract, rather it enhanced Deloris' scrappy quality.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC7XQ2HVZ0k
Cynthia Erivo - Fabulous, Baby (UK Tour)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#61Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 3:49pm

I think she will do fine. Good for her!

Just give the world Love.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
chellylovesrent2
#63Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 3:58pm

I really think that this character is a good fit for Raven. She has the personality, will do the comedic scenes justice and like somethingwicked said, this is right up her alley.
Her voice is good though I do question it a little for this role. I feel she can pull off this role for sure and I will definitely see it if it will still be open during the summer.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#64Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 4:51pm

Adamgreer- I also want to know what you have to saw about Scott. I know she's talented and can sign, hence her credits. Especially judging from the Bryant Park videos, she doesn't have the IT factor, something that Patina really DOES have.

To those saying she can't carry the show or act, during a quiet moment in the title song, my dad (who usually never says anything during shows) turned to me and said "she's a monster" on the second to last preview and still talks about it. Patina's a star. She's a great actress, singer, dancer, comedienne, and personality. Hopefully Raven will live up to it! She was great during her show's years.

bobbybaby85
#65Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 4:54pm

"Patina's a star. She's a great actress, singer, dancer, comedienne, and personality."

I'm going to remember that when she doesn't find any work after this.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#66Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 4:56pm

any idea when Patina's last show would be?? It states that Raven-Symon will begin performances at the end of March. so could Patina's last show be March 25?? Maybe March 18??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#67Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 4:58pm

LOL

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 1/31/12 at 04:58 PM

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#68Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

yeah March 18 is Patina's last show

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#69Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT

Patina Miller's last performance is March 18th.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#70Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 4:59pm

Patina's final performance is March 18.

I know I said that I wouldn't respond to you anymore. But I just can't help myself. Considering the fact that a few years ago Patina had to choose between SISTER ACT in London, Deena in the American DREAMGIRLS tour, and HAIR on Broadway - I think she'll have no problem finding work after this.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#71Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 5:02pm

Not to mention she was in the final three, I believe, for the role of EFFIE in the Dreamgirls movie.

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

bobbybaby85
#72Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 5:02pm

Patina is far too ugly to play Deena in Dreamgirls, lol. Deena is supposed to look like Diana Ross, not a bulldog.

And she's not fat enough to play Effie. The fact that she was "up" for Effie seems stetched... like they would have had to do in post to make her look appropriate. Updated On: 1/31/12 at 05:02 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#73Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 5:04pm

Seriously, f*ck yourself.

And yes, she was one of the final three for Effie, along with Hudson and Fantasia.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#74Raven-Symon? to Replace Patina Miller in SISTER ACT
Posted: 1/31/12 at 5:06pm

To further speak to Patina and her working in the future, prior to her doing SISTER ACT in London, there wasn't a job in New York she didn't book. Literally. If there was a role for an African-American girl in a musical project, odds are that Miller played or was offered it. She did the workshop of AMERICAN IDIOT, the workshop of THE BOOK OF MORMON, the workshop of THE NIGHTINGALE, HAIR in the park, ROMANTIC POETRY for Manhattan Theater Club, BEING ALIVE for New York Stage and Film and Philadelphia Theater Company, and recurred on ALL MY CHILDREN, all within a two year time span. Prior to that, during her senior year at Carnegie Mellon, she was flown to Los Angeles to screen test for Effie in Bill Condon's DREAMGIRLS film. She's that talented.

As ljay said, when she finally got SISTER ACT in London (after having understudied Deloris in the two premiere productions straight out of college,) it was one of three major job offers she had on the table. Hell- she wasn't back in town a month prior to SISTER ACT on Broadway before she got LOST IN THE STARS at Encores. She won't have any trouble continuing to be prominently employed.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/31/12 at 05:06 PM

Videos