News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway needs to fight back- Page 3

Broadway needs to fight back

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#50Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/30/15 at 11:44pm

I might be wrong,but.....I go to quite a lot of theatre on the eastern coast of Australia. There is always an announcement to turn off etc and I have never once encountered txting,talking or recording during a performance. Never heard a phone ring, people eating or slurping drinks.

Have I just always been extremely lucky or are Australian audiences generally well mannered?

Buggered if I know but apart from some dud performances where I would have welcomed a cell phone distraction all has been quiet on the audience front.

SL....x

blm2323
#51Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 3:05am

People need to visually see someone step on stage and quickly EDUCATE people on proper theater behavior before the show. A one minute explanation and I'm sure the problem is greatly reduced. No one hears the announcement or listens to it because they can't SEE it. 

Example - I teach AP Spanish in high school. Mon - Thurs the announcements are read over the loudspeaker.  No one pays attention. But on Friday announcements are done with a TV broadcast  - EVERYONE pays attention. I'm convinced it's the visual while listening that makes the difference.  

It doesn't have to be a star, just someone come out before and explain!

Too many people who don't attend the theatre think that they can behave like they're at a rock concert. 

Lastly, I've always wanted to invite a producer or theatre owner to sit next to me during a show while I proceed to do all the obnoxious behaviors too many of us endure to see a show we just paid a lot of money for. I'd love to crinkle some wrappers in their ear in the middle of a lovers duet. :)

Javi Profile Photo
Javi
#52Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 4:04am

A couple of weeks ago when I was in New York, I went to see A View From the Bridge at the Lyceum Theatre and I had seats on stage.  As you went up the stairs to the stage, you were met by two ushers.  The first one told the people coming up that no photography was allowed and to please switch off their phones now.  Then they moved to the next usher just a couple of feet away who was going to show them their seats and give them their Playbill.  I was sitting in the middle of the front row next to the aisle and so was next to the usher and as soon as the person went up to her, she would repeat what the first usher said and then politely asked if their phones were off and that she needed to check that their phones were off before they could be seated.  Apparently, a phone from someone sitting on the stage seats rang during the climactic end scene a week before and ruined the moment.  

Anyway, the usher pretty much got most people happily showing them their phones being off or else they would gladly turn them off in front of her.  However, there were quite a lot of people with so much attitude who would say "I'll turn it off before the show starts" or "I'll turn it off when I get to my seat" and the usher would repeat that she would only seat them IF they turn off their phones in front of her prior to going to their seat and show her the phone.  A couple of people told her that they had their phones off and when she asked to see the phones, they would go, "Oh, no, I swore I turned it off!"  A gentleman in his 40s with his father who was probably in his 70s came up and went through the first usher and then reached the second usher.  The second usher asked if their phones were off, the man rudely said "Yes, our phones are off! I turned them off when the first usher asked me to!" and then started cursing.  The usher insisted to see their phones and the first man pushed his phone towards her face and said, "See? It's off!" and then the usher asked his father to show his phone and he got it out and showed her and it was still on!  And he goes, "I don't know how to turn it off."  The son apologised for his father and then as the usher showed him his seats and gave him his Playbill, he apologised to her and said that it was a good thing that she was checking.

I thought this usher was really good and I can't believe people were just rude to her repeatedly.  All she was trying to do was make sure that the audience got the best possible experience in that theatre.  I don't understand what the problem was that they couldn't turn off their phones right then.  The good thing about this show was that there was no intermission, but if this show had an intermission and they had to keep checking the phones again, it would just be a real big hassle.

Julie Yard
#53Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 9:08am

The post from Javi (above) is depressing in the extreme. How much do usher's make to put up with that abuse? And can imagine doing that in an 700 seat theater as you were trying to take cell phones away from people? You'd need full body scans machines because there are always "special snowflakes" who would stash their phones somewhere. Isn't there a thing called a cell phone blocker? It disrupts some part of the transmission... so maybe no calls or internet. I've always wondered why the theater owners don't put in that technology. Would it interfere with the theater communications? And for me the most pathetic thing ever was the understudy at The River coming out before the show and virtually begging the audience to shut off their phones.. and then leading a public count down for everyone to turn off. OK... 5,4,3,2,1.

Dolittle

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#54Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 9:29am

Have never really witnessed it in person before until yesterday.  I've heard noise when phones go off, but never SEEN someone take out their phone and use it.  At Fun Home's matinee yesterday, a woman seated below me (it's leveled seating, so I had a clear view of her the whole time) had her phone out.  She was on it for most of the show visiting Facebook and scrolling through posts.  Nobody asked her to put it away, and I was too far from her to do it myself, but clearly I saw it and it distracted me.  Ugh!

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#55Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 9:30am

Wheres Aretha Franklin when you need her?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

whatever2
#56Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 11:35am

blm2323 is absolutely right ... you can laugh off my idea as dippy -- because, hey, it is seriously remedial -- but nothing less than a focused visual cue is going to solve the problem. anything less is just wishful thinking.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Islander_fan
#57Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 11:57am

joanf said: "The post from Javi (above) is depressing in the extreme. How much do usher's make to put up with that abuse? And can imagine doing that in an 700 seat theater as you were trying to take cell phones away from people? You'd need full body scans machines because there are always "special snowflakes" who would stash their phones somewhere. Isn't there a thing called a cell phone blocker? It disrupts some part of the transmission... so maybe no calls or internet. I've always wondered why the theater owners don't put in that technology. Would it interfere with the theater communications? And for me the most pathetic thing ever was the understudy at The River coming out before the show and virtually begging the audience to shut off their phones.. and then leading a public count down for everyone to turn off. OK... 5,4,3,2,1.

Cell phone blockers are not legal to use at all. That's why they don't use them. Furthermore, I feel that theatres are in part at fault for some of this behavior. I know that all the Shubert houses (and other Broadway houses are or are starting to follow the same pattern) make it clear to those entering that they have free wifi for guests. If you're someone without a lick of sense with regards to how to act in a theatre, it can be seen as sending mixed messages. You're being told one thing by an usher, yet the theatre pretty much has given you an open invite to be online too.

"

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#58Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 12:01pm

A lot of the "free wifi" signs do have an additional "but please don't use it during the show" sentence at the end. And just from being in wifi-equipped theatres during a performance, I can think of a couple that have turned it off once the curtain goes up. Or maybe it was just my phone and I was not quite in the lobby at the time.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#59Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 12:05pm

I have been at several shows in the past year where people have their phones out during the performance and if it's visible to me from several rows away, it must be visible to ushers.  One instance was yesterday at the Marquis and an usher came down and whispered to the woman, who was seated on the aisle.  However, for the several others that were not seated on the aisle, nothing was done.  I suppose that it has to do more with minimizing disruption so the ushers let it go.  

I feel that as announcements are made pre-show, it should be said that anyone violating the cell phone policy  will be addressed by the usher shining a flashlight at them during the performance and they are subject to removal from the theater.  There could be signs indicating this as you enter the theater.  My guess is that once the audience sees someone being approached by the usher, it will deter others from taking out their phones.  Of course, this is easier in the upper levels and rear orchestra, away from the stage as to keep from disrupting the actors.  I know that I will speak to someone around me to turn off their phones because it distracts me, but I would never yell out to anyone a few rows away but it is indeed distracting.  Just a thought but anyway it is handled, it will unfortunately disrupt others.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#60Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 2:53pm

blm2323-quite a good idea. Perhaps like pre-flight safety advice is now filmed, SHOWING all the 'do nots' might register better as most people are hung up on visuals these days--that might get their attention.

Perhaps it could be in the style of each theatres' production or one generic fits all.

Digress[a little]. My niece has beautiful table manners-her husband doesn't and their 12yo son eats like a pig.My niece does nothing to correct her son.

So-Educate-Example-Ignorance-Blind-Peace--what upsets me obviously doesn't upset some/others.

SL.....x

Updated On: 12/31/15 at 02:53 PM

Islander_fan
#61Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 4:19pm

LizzieCurry said: "A lot of the "free wifi" signs do have an additional "but please don't use it during the show" sentence at the end. And just from being in wifi-equipped theatres during a performance, I can think of a couple that have turned it off once the curtain goes up. Or maybe it was just my phone and I was not quite in the lobby at the time.

You're right. The signs do say that it shouldn't be used during the show. However, I feel that despite the signs saying that, people are going to give it as much attention as they do regarding the pre show announcement of not using your phone.

And, if you wanted to go into the whole debate about copyright infringement at the theatre, realize that taking photos of the set falls into that category as well. That being said, there have been times where I was at the theatre, usher was yelling at someone for taking a picture for the reason I just mentioned. And then, at intermission, offered to take a photo for two friends with the set as the background. I mean, if you're going to yell at someone for taking a photo in the theatre, and then offer to help them later on it does send mixed messages. 

rebeccmam31
#62Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 5:27pm

DramaTeach said: "Have never really witnessed it in person before until yesterday.  I've heard noise when phones go off, but never SEEN someone take out their phone and use it.  At Fun Home's matinee yesterday, a woman seated below me (it's leveled seating, so I had a clear view of her the whole time) had her phone out.  She was on it for most of the show visiting Facebook and scrolling through posts.  Nobody asked her to put it away, and I was too far from her to do it myself, but clearly I saw it and it distracted me.  Ugh!"

I sat next to someone (at a touring production in Pittsburgh, but STILL) who TOOK A CALL during the show.  She repeatedly told the caller, "No, I'm still at the show.  I'm still at the show." Sigh.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#63Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 5:58pm

rebeccmam31 said: "I sat next to someone (at a touring production in Pittsburgh, but STILL) who TOOK A CALL during the show.  She repeatedly told the caller, "No, I'm still at the show.  I'm still at the show." Sigh.

Unbelievable.  I don't know what can be done at this point, but it is so unfortunate and rude.

"

Mike66
#64Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 12/31/15 at 6:37pm

Theatre goers need to make it clear to the producers/theatre owners that the audience wants this to stop.  It would take a New York minute to get the City Council to pass whatever ordinance would be requested by the "Broadway community."

But the key to this is for the audience to make it clear to the producers that this has to stop.  So people need to complain about the few who are ignoring what is just common courtesy. 

It seems to be a problem somewhat unique to live theatre at the moment -- our symphony orchestra reminds everyone right before the Concertmaster comes on stage -- (they just play a ring tone -- no words at all -- it's not like people don't know what it is....).  They started doing this about 5-6 years ago -- and I've only heard one or two phones ever go off since then. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#65Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 1/1/16 at 10:17am

Javi - Sounds great and I applaud them for doing it. Unfortunately, there is no way to totally stop these people from turning phone back on again once they are seated.

IlanaKeller
#66Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 1/1/16 at 4:03pm

As a few of you guys mentioned, maybe mentioning the consequences would help. Don't just ask people to turn off phones and expect them to do it because it's the right thing to do, tell them what happens if they don't. And of course following through would be key.

Twitter: @IlanaKeller Latest work: app.com/topic/asbury-park-broadway/

Margo319
#67Broadway needs to fight back
Posted: 1/2/16 at 5:18pm

"Anyone disregarding the announcements and having this FU attitude should be fined and/or arrested for breaking the rules.  I hope a law can be implemented because these rude idiots ruin the experience for those around them and especially the actors.  C'mon Shuberts, Nederlanders and Jujamcyns......grow a pair of balls and get on the ball and do something about this. Millions of people will be grateful and fines/arrests will stop the insanity."

I could fu*king kiss you! Bravo!

"

Videos