pixeltracker

Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017- Page 3

Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#50Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:06pm

I agree with everyone who has said we won't know until the noms come out. As I stated earlier, I have my desires, sure. But I remember in early 2015, when we all thought The Visit and Honeymoon in Vegas were going to walk away the big winners. Or Bullets Over Broadway in 2014. The fun part of such a competitive season is that anything can (and probably will) happen! smiley

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#51Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:11pm

Call_me_jorge said: "^ there's no leading character, but it's likely Jen Colella will get nominated and win for featured actress."

Jenn Colella will—and should—get a Featured Actress nom, but her win won't come this year. That award belongs to the marvelous Rachel Bay Jones. If there's an upset, the only other person I'd be okay with it going to is Amber Gray, who is extraordinary in Great Comet

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#52Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:20pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "I agree with everyone who has said we won't know until the noms come out. As I stated earlier, I have my desires, sure. But I remember in early 2015, when we all thought The Visit and Honeymoon in Vegas were going to walk away the big winners. Or Bullets Over Broadway in 2014. The fun part of such a competitive season is that anything can (and probably will) happen! smiley

I don't believe anyone thought Honeymoon in Vegas was going to be a "big winner" at the Tonys. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#53Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:21pm

Ah, but of course. I forgot people like to wreck on Honeymoon at every available opportunity. Very good, carry on then smiley

Jarethan
#54Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:43pm

PaulWom said: "Sorry! I meant to say those are the performances I think will get the nomination. Forgot to specify which ones I think are locks. In my mind, they are:

Denee Benton- Natasha

Bette Midler- Hello, Dolly

Christine Ebersole- War Paint

I don't see how Denee Benton could be a lock...she received very mediocre reviews.  

"

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#55Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:45pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "I agree with everyone who has said we won't know until the noms come out. As I stated earlier, I have my desires, sure. But I remember in early 2015, when we all thought The Visit and Honeymoon in Vegas were going to walk away the big winners. Or Bullets Over Broadway in 2014."

Not to mention that last year, almost everyone thought that American Psycho and Waitress were both going to be strong contenders in nominations (though no chance of winning up against Hamilton), and we all saw how those turned out.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#56Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:59pm

Neither women in War Paint are giving Tony Award worthy performances, and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. If one of the two were to be nominated, it'll be Lupone. It will be a showdown between Bette, Denee, and Eva. 

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#57Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:02am

wow people are so divided when it comes to Denee

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#58Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:05am

Denee has really grown into the show.  I thought her performance in the finale scene was truly touching.  She won't win, but she is worthy of a nomination.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#59Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:15am

Wouldn't Denee [and Josh Groban subsequently] be Featured and not leading? Perhaps I'm wrong, but the Tony rulings done around the time of Great Comet, Falsettos, Dear Evan Hansen, etc never mentioned Denee nor Josh being considered leading. Plus, their headshots appear on the same page as all of the other featured performers [excluding the ensemble]. 

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/187417/tony-awards-eligibility-committee-rules-on-dear-evan-hansen-the-great-comet-more/ 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#60Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:16am

Denee and Josh are both credited above the title, thus no ruling needed to be announced in press, as that is the qualifications for being considered a Leading Role

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#61Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:19am

^Ah, I missed that part. Thank you!

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#62Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 12:27am

Is there a thread for general TONY predictions? I know the "way too early" thread has not been updated in awhile... It would be great to see what everyone is predicting... What a competitive year!!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

PaulWom
#63Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 2:05am

icecreambenjamin said: "Denee has really grown into the show.  I thought her performance in the finale scene was truly touching.  She won't win, but she is worthy of a nomination.

"

I saw her recently, and was not only taken with just that scene- her In My House had more venom in it than Pippa's (it was truly startling). I would argue that as she is now, her performance rivals (and in some ways is better than) Pippa's. Denying  her a nomination would be a crime 

M.O.A.I. Profile Photo
M.O.A.I.
#64Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 2:57am

Did anyone else think Brittain Ashford can/should be nominated over Amber Grey? Grey had a great voice, but doesn't have much to do in the show and I honestly don't remember her much. Ashford was extraordinarily tender and sang the show's best song, "Sonya Alone".

As to War Paint - on the basis of the Goodman show I saw, and looking at the rest of the season, both will probably get nominated, but if only one does, it will certainly be Ebersole rather than LuPone. "Pink" is the show's stand-out number, and there were (at least last summer) some minor issues with LuPone's accent. The show's an amorphous ball of fluff, of course, but both probably should be nominated.

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#65Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 3:35am

The only ones we have not seen yet are Laura Osnes and Christy Altomare.  

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#66Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:02am

Rainah said: "...I am pulling for Denee to win. She was truly transcendent in the role, and took on the difficult task of making someone as naive and young as Natasha likable to the audience. Thinking back on it I always want to take notes, she was that incredible"

While you're certainly not the only person here who has expressed such a view, I simply don't get it. My husband and I saw two different performances and we both thought she was terribly miscast and completely out of her league. We thought her voice weak and her presence sorely lacking for the role. She was unbelievable as a center-of-attention girl for whom other characters would go to great lengths and she made the premise of "Charming" incredible. Throughout the entire show, I found myself thinking that this role needed someone like Sierra Boggess; she's a bit too old for it, but she has the necessary vocal skills and the stage presence.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#67Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:08am

Mike66 said: "None of these "also rans" should feel badly.  They all know that in a normal situation, the lead actresses in Sunday in the Park and Sunset Boulevard would have been locks for their slots."

The field might indeed look very different if these two shows were in the running.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

neonlightsxo
#68Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:29am

PaulWom said: "Curious- why is Christy Altomare a lock on everyone's lists? Anastasia hasn't even opened yet."

I saw the show in Hartford and she's unbelievable. Stop using the word lock, though. You put keys into locks.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#69Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:47am

Close has already won a Tony for playing this role.  Under what circumstance would she ever be eligible? To say, "if she was eligible she'd get a nomination" is absurd, given the rules are very clear. 

Ashford is a different story, and I agree, were she eligible, she'd be virtually assured a nomination. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#70Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 8:50am

My money is on Bette winning.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#71Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:01am

Mine too, literally! I bought a ticket for her first evening performance after the Tonys. Is Sunday's ineligibility because of it's early closing date?  

neonlightsxo
#72Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:03am

Sunday chose to remove themselves from the Tony race because they have a small profit window.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#73Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:06am

Bette was a lock for a Tony nomination from the minute they announced the production. Let's be real here, folks.

As for the others, it's hard to say.

I'm inclined to say Philippa Soo for Amelie (strong female central character that got great out of town reviews).

I can't imagine them splitting up LuPone and Ebersole. I think it will be an all or nothing, but neither will win because any votes for them would be split between them (a la BOOK OF MORMON).

The fifth slot is just for recognition really (a la Laura Osnes for "Bonnie & Clyde"Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#74Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/22/17 at 9:26am

neonlightsxo said: "Sunday chose to remove themselves from the Tony race because they have a small profit window."

So they did that because they want other shows to be nominated to try and help them out? That's ****ing dumb. Everybody should be eligible. This is about excellence in theatre, not about helping other shows sell well. 

Also, why isn't the show just running longer anyway? They should find someone to replace Gyllenhaal.

Updated On: 3/22/17 at 09:26 AM

Videos