pixeltracker

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018- Page 3

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#50Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 9:47pm

StephieElise said: "I'm surprised nobody has suggested Sierra Boggess! 

"wrong...no ty

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#51Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:04pm

Can we just import Samantha Barks (Amelie; Eponine in the Les Miz movie and 25th Anniversary Concert)?

Updated On: 6/19/17 at 10:04 PM

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#52Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:11pm

duplicate

Updated On: 6/19/17 at 10:11 PM

froote
#53Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:16pm

MikeInTheDistrict said: "Can we just import Samantha Barks (Amelie; Eponine in the Les Miz movie and 25th Anniversary Concert)?"

The only person that would actively put me off.

Updated On: 6/19/17 at 10:16 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#54Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:22pm

I'm pretty sure that she's an alto.  I think she is.  Idk, she's pretty boring.  She suffers from the same thing that Sierra Boggess does, they're really boring.  They're pretty and have beautiful voices, but they are extremely vanilla.

I like Laura Osnes, but she's not a good comedic actress and the role will be quite a strain on her voice.  She's still wonderful, though.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#55Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:28pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I'm pretty sure that she's an alto.  I think she is.  Idk, she's pretty boring.  She suffers from the same thing that Sierra Boggess does, they're really boring.  They're pretty and have beautiful voices, but they are extremely vanilla.

I like Laura Osnes, but she's not a good comedic actress and the role will be quite a strain on her voice.  She's still wonderful, though.

"yup ur right

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#56Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 10:43pm

I know it seems weird on the surface but Sara Bareilles? When I saw her as Jenna she really impressed me with her earthy sense of humor and also her consistent Southern accent. She also is one of those women who has the ability to look either girl-next-door or stunningly beautiful.  

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#57Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 11:18pm

poisonivy2 said: "I know it seems weird on the surface but Sara Bareilles? When I saw her as Jenna she really impressed me with her earthy sense of humor and also her consistent Southern accent. She also is one of those women who has the ability to look either girl-next-door or stunningly beautiful.  

Classical soprano.....?????

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#58Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/19/17 at 11:41pm

MikeInTheDistrict said: "Can we just import Samantha Barks (Amelie; Eponine in the Les Miz movie and 25th Anniversary Concert)?"

She is my personal choice.

broadwaysfguy
#59Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 1:28am

i like samantha barks and saw her in amelie in berkeley

i was surprised her stage presence was not "star"

level and dont think shes best for eliza in nyc

also have seen sierra boggess onstage and she has star presnce and would crush the eliza role

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#60Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 3:08am

I honestly hope they cast a younger, unknown actress who can do the role justice, like Julie Andrews way back in the beginning. I'm a bit perplexed by a couple responses in here claiming they won't even see the show if Laura Benanti doesn't get the part; don't you want to give other actresses a chance to prove themselves? 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#61Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 6:19am

Lawd, please do not cast PHILLIPA SOO and subject us all to "Wouldn't It Be Nasally." Ugh.

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

froote
#62Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 6:28am

Phillipa's voice is ever so slightly nasal, not enough that it's a problem or would cost her roles. You're the only person I've seen that has a major issue with it, but then you're also the only person I've seen that thinks Andy Karl now has an ego and depression from not winning a Tony so it makes sense.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#63Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 7:54am

Elfuhbah....most of that is just hyperbole.  (and/or they aren't likely to see it anyway)

I don't care who they cast (I mean, I CARE, but only so that it can be wonderful).   I just wanna see it in all its beautiful gloriousness.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#64Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 9:14am

Now that someone has suggested Ashley Park, I can't get the idea out of my head.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#65Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 9:22am

I would love to see Mikaela Bennett, who was a lovely Penelope in The Golden Apple at Encores, as Eliza, if we're going for a young unknown.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#66Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 10:08am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "CurtainPullDowner said: "Phillipa Soo is the perfect choice and age, and would be the most Exciting Choice."

The question I have about that is has Bartlett Sher ever done colorblind casting in any of his productions?

Sher cast Ann Sanders, who is Asian as an Anna understudy in THE KING AND I and she went on several times (I saw her and she was wonderful.)  You don't get more colorblind casting than an Asian Anna."

bwayandstuff
#67Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 1:09pm

Throwing another name into the ring just for fun. What about Christy Altomare? Might be an interesting idea to entertain...

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#68Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 1:54pm

bwayandstuff said: "Throwing another name into the ring just for fun. What about Christy Altomare? Might be an interesting idea to entertain...

"

Christy...O no, all wrong for Eliza! 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#69Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 2:17pm

Awww. Christy would probably be a delightful Eliza. 

froote
#70Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 2:20pm

Yeah I think Christy could do well but I expect she'll stay with Anastasia for at least the full year so I don't see it happening.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#71Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 2:23pm

CurtainPullDowner said: "Sher cast Ann Sanders, who is Asian as an Anna understudy in THE KING AND I and she went on several times (I saw her and she was wonderful.)  You don't get more colorblind casting than an Asian Anna."

Point taken.
however, in actual fact Anna Leonowens was a biracial Eurasian.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/books/review/Price-t.html

"

Updated On: 6/20/17 at 02:23 PM

VintageSnarker
#72Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 2:45pm

givesmevoice said: "I would love to see Mikaela Bennett, who was a lovely Penelope in The Golden Apple at Encores, as Eliza, if we're going for a young unknown.

Ooh, I didn't see Golden Apple but her voice sounded lovely in those rehearsal/press clips. Do you think she could do the comedy and the cockney half of Eliza?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#73Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 3:10pm

VintageSnarker said: "givesmevoice said: "I would love to see Mikaela Bennett, who was a lovely Penelope in The Golden Apple at Encores, as Eliza, if we're going for a young unknown.

Ooh, I didn't see Golden Apple but her voice sounded lovely in those rehearsal/press clips. Do you think she could do the comedy and the cockney half of Eliza?
"

I'm actually not sure, but I know she could sing the hell out of it!

(I'm also totally on board with Ashley Park, who I know could do the comedy.)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#74Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 6/20/17 at 3:19pm

The only concern I might have about certain non-traditional casting choices for Eliza is Karpathy's conclusion about who this Miss Doolittle is.

How would it play for Karpathy to take Cynthia Errivo or Ashley Park for a Royal Hungarian?  (I'm sure it wouldn't play at all unusually with Soo by the way)

On the other hand, the potentially comic implications of such an unorthodox seeming conclusion might resonate well with the themes of identity, speech, appearances, and verbal and other class distinctions imbedded in My Fair Lady.  After all, no matter who's playing Eliza, Karpathy's verdict is meant to be funny.

Updated On: 6/20/17 at 03:19 PM

Videos