pixeltracker

NETworks is bringing back Hairspray tour in 2020- Page 3

NETworks is bringing back Hairspray tour in 2020

Hairspray0901
#50NETworks is bringing back Hairspray tour in 2021
Posted: 7/30/21 at 8:58am

I’m surprised they’re touring and not just waiting to revive the show on Broadway in 2022 for its 20th anniversary.

tmdonahue
#51Answers to questions
Posted: 7/30/21 at 9:41am

I didn't sign an NDA so I think I can write this.  I rec'd a prospective on this production.  It is non-Equity and the physical production will be downscaled from the original Broadway production.

SouthernCakes
#52Answers to questions
Posted: 7/30/21 at 10:21am

darreyl102 said: "SouthernCakes said: "Maybe I was! Wouldn’t normally care about a non-equity show but I’d love to see what Nina West does! "

No you weren't, you just misinterpreted the way it was written, the same way I did. LOL. It says itsplaying St Louis from 4/5 - 9/22 on the site for example. Which to me looked like it's saying it's playing from April 5th (4/5) to September 22nd (9/22). But it's actually meaning April 5th through April 9th, 2022.
"

Ha! So I’m not crazy! Yeah weird way to write their dates. I’m from Alabama and saw the date above it and was like there’s no way they can play in Alabama for that long.. ha 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#53Answers to questions
Posted: 7/30/21 at 4:45pm

Honestly, I got straight up sold on Nina West - she is a kind soul and a super talented performer who didn’t really get her due on “Drag Race” and I can’t imagine a better fit for this role.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#54Answers to questions
Posted: 7/30/21 at 9:07pm

quizking101 said: "Honestly, I got straight up sold on Nina West - she is a kind soul and a super talented performer who didn’t really get her due on “Drag Race” and I can’t imagine a better fit for this role."

Takes me back to Nina's brilliant Harvey Fierstein in Snatch game. 

Darreyl with an L!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#55Answers to questions
Posted: 7/30/21 at 9:19pm

I’d really like to see this, but the closest it is coming to Chicago is like Peoria…

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jakeevan942
#56Answers to questions
Posted: 7/30/21 at 10:03pm

tmdonahue said: "I didn't sign an NDA so I think I can write this. I rec'd a prospective on this production. It is non-Equity and the physical production will be downscaled from the original Broadway production."

I have it on good authority that this is touring with the same physical package as the last Networks non-equity tour of the show, which ran 4 seasons on the road. It's scaled down from the original, but compared to most one-night tours, which this production is designed to be, it maintains a fairly substantial physical production. I'm looking forward to seeing this when it roles through Jersey next Spring.

Networks cast an American Idol person as the lead in their non-equity Bronx Tale-it seems they are using the reality TV star casting methodology, with I'm sure salaries that are better than the standard non-equity offerings, again to get name-brand talent, who by the nature of their career paths haven't needed to join Equity; Let's see which of the Networks regulars fill out the rest of the company.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#57Answers to questions
Posted: 11/13/21 at 1:39pm

Answers to questions

TaffyDavenport
#58Answers to questions
Posted: 11/13/21 at 1:40pm

Answers to questions

TaffyDavenport
#59Answers to questions
Posted: 11/13/21 at 1:41pm

Answers to questions

TaffyDavenport
#60Answers to questions
Posted: 11/13/21 at 1:42pm

Answers to questions

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#61Answers to questions
Posted: 11/13/21 at 2:06pm

Never saw a Non-equity production get so much press.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

broadwayguy2
#62Answers to questions
Posted: 11/13/21 at 2:33pm

The base physical package for this tour is what was used for the original NETworks tour in 2007 - which was great. It eliminated all automation and some things were visibly redesigned, but actually maintained the scale of the original design as seen on the 1st National Tour, Toronto, and London. It is different than, but not lesser too, the original UK touring production.

As you can see in this photo spread, a lot of costumes have been rebuilt and the NETworks rental package has clearly undergone a little sprucing up and there are some surprises in store.

The new Lite Brite wall looks *amazing* and the integration of the Inclusive Pride Flag as the final image at the curtain call - similar to how the UK productions incorporated the Union Jack - is a bold, brave, and welcome choice.

I am SO excited to see this production. The cast - based on my knowledge of a number of them - is wonderfully first rate and Michele Lynch - Jerry Mitchell's original associate - returning to restage choreography is a gem.

As a side note - NETworks has employed a Cultural Coordinator (Tavia Rivee Jefferson), as well as Equity / Inclusion / Diversity contractors, and HR support on this production, so kuddos to them.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#63Answers to questions
Posted: 11/13/21 at 4:54pm

Here’s a TikTok from Nina of the curtain call - love the inclusive pride flag at the end!!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8VyQYFy/

SouthernCakes
#64Answers to questions
Posted: 11/14/21 at 10:35pm

Surprised to see a non-union tour getting so much press. But honestly support it. Maybe now we will get more of this sort of “star/stunt” casting on non-equity tours. 

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#65Answers to questions
Posted: 11/15/21 at 5:13am

SouthernCakes said: "Surprised to see a non-union tour getting so much press. But honestly support it. Maybe now we will get more of this sort of “star/stunt” casting on non-equity tours."

Nina West was a true gift. It's hard to find notable people that aren't also in one of the 4A performers' unions. A "star" would have to drop everything in order to do a non-union production due to the unions' rules.

Det95
#66Answers to questions
Posted: 1/19/22 at 8:42am

Saw the tour last night in Detroit, and I had a wonderful time. This was my first time seeing Hairspray. I thought the entire cast gave great performances. There were a couple missed mic cues and the sound mixing was off at times, but I attribute that to being the first night in Detroit. The only negative thing I have to say is about the sets. Some of them looked like a weak breeze could knock them down. Sitting where I was (third row, center orch) it was very noticeable, but I doubt those in the balcony would notice it. I highly recommend catching this if it comes through your city.

windowwaving
#67Answers to questions
Posted: 1/19/22 at 9:35am

Det95 said: "Saw the tour last night in Detroit, and I had a wonderful time. This was my first time seeing Hairspray. I thought the entire cast gave great performances. There were a couple missed mic cues and the sound mixing was off at times, but I attribute that to being the first night in Detroit. The only negative thing I have to say is about the sets. Some of them looked like a weak breeze could knock them down. Sitting where I was (third row, center orch) it was very noticeable, but I doubt those in the balcony would notice it. I highly recommend catching this if it comes through your city."

I was at the same show. I noticed the missed mic cues as well (not as bad as the Jersey Boys tour though). The cast really gave it their all. I was a little hesitant in the beginning because of it being non-eq, but I really have to give it to this cast. They have the energy necessary for this show and I left smiling. Stand outs were Nina West and Niki Metcalf, as well as Toneisha Harris who I think fared better in the second act than the first. 

The set really did feel cheap, especially the "Corny Collins show" set piece. It looked like something from a community theater with the way it was painted. Much of the bigger set pieces, including the proscenium, were clearly cheaper scrims and you can easily tell because they had a ton of wrinkles (are they able to iron these?). 

I sat on the far side front row orchestra, but I wish they covered the wings better. I can see a lot of the crew back there working during the scenes and set pieces coming in and out - it was very distracting, especially because the set itself feels a little bare. Worst of all, I can HEAR the crew during the book scenes. I almost felt bad that the actors had to act through such a loud crew because it's probably much louder for them than it is from the audience side. Not knocking the crew because I know it's a tough job back there that requires clear communication, I just wish it was hidden better. I've never really experienced this in any other show.

The biggest surprise was that they had a MALE understudy for one of the Dynamites! His costume was a full black suit with red sequin embellishes. He was a great dancer, but I couldn't really hear him and he was one of the missed mic cues for his solo riff at the end of "Welcome to the '60s"

Det95
#68Answers to questions
Posted: 1/19/22 at 10:15am

windowwaving said: "Det95 said: "Saw the tour last night in Detroit, and I had a wonderful time. This was my first time seeing Hairspray. I thought the entire cast gave great performances. There were a couple missed mic cues and the sound mixing was off at times, but I attribute that to being the first night in Detroit. The only negative thing I have to say is about the sets. Some of them looked like a weak breeze could knock them down. Sitting where I was (third row, center orch) it was very noticeable, but I doubt those in the balcony would notice it. I highly recommend catching this if it comes through your city."

I was at the same show. I noticed the missed mic cues as well (not as bad as the Jersey Boys tour though). The cast really gave it their all. I was a little hesitant in the beginning because of it being non-eq, but I really have to give it to this cast. They have the energy necessary for this show and I left smiling. Stand outs were Nina West and Niki Metcalf, as well as Toneisha Harris who I think fared better in the second act than the first.

The set really did feel cheap, especially the "Corny Collins show" set piece. It looked like something from a community theater with the way it was painted. Much of the bigger set pieces, including the proscenium, were clearly cheaper scrims and you can easily tell because they had a ton of wrinkles (are they able to iron these?).

I sat on the far side front row orchestra, but I wish they covered the wings better. I can see a lot of the crew back there working during the scenes and set pieces coming in and out - it was very distracting, especially because the set itself feels a little bare. Worst of all, I can HEAR the crew during the book scenes. I almost felt bad that the actors had to act through such a loud crew because it's probably much louder for them than it is from the audience side. Not knocking the crew because I know it's a tough job back there that requires clear communication, I just wish it was hidden better. I've never really experienced this in any other show.

The biggest surprise was that they had a MALE understudy for one of the Dynamites! His costume was a full black suit with red sequin embellishes. He was a great dancer, but I couldn't really hear him and he was one of the missed mic cues for his solo riff at the end of "Welcome to the '60s"
"

Two things I just remembered. I'm 99.9% sure they are using pre-recorded tap sounds during "Big Doll House". The strikes weren't lining up with the actual choreography and there were no tap sounds at all when not dancing or doing choreo without the tap audio. Lastly, maybe it was another missed cue or I just missed it, but during "Baltimore Crabs" the exchange about Tracy not having enough sweaters wasn't there. The callback to that exchange in the finale seemed out of place not hearing that line earlier. Though I doubt those not familiar with the show or at least the cast album would notice.

windowwaving
#69Answers to questions
Posted: 1/21/22 at 7:50pm

Went back again last night to watch Faith Northcutt (Brenda) as the Tracy understudy. She is truly phenomenal, I think most people would not have been aware that she wasn't the original Tracy. She has the pipes and did not miss a single beat. 

Interestingly enough they had a male swing on for Tammy who went on as "Tommy" instead. It's nothing that detracts from the show unless you were really paying attention. He kept the same Tammy track, so in places that were obviously separated by boy/girl it would be boy/boy. Thematically, it made me wonder why a Tracy would be more controversial than two boys dancing together in the 60s on national TV. 

Also, Toneisha was a whole different level this night than she was on Tuesday. I could not hear the rhymes in her book scenes the first time I saw her but tonight she was on fire. She had a beautiful confidence and cadence and was playing with new riffs during Big Blonde & Beautiful. Then when I Know Where I've Been came around, she blew the house down. People were clapping midsong and it ended with a roaring standing ovation. 

Det95, you are right they are definitely using a track for the tap scenes. The dancing and sounds did not match at all and it sounded very canned. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#70Answers to questions
Posted: 3/16/22 at 10:04am

Has anyone seen this recently? How's it holding up? I am going this Sunday. I am very excited as I LOVE Hairspray, and I have not seen a production in YEARS.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#71Answers to questions
Posted: 3/16/22 at 11:09am

I saw recently the actress who played motormouth was replaced. I’m pretty sure she left due to the health of her husband, who was going through something during the start of the tour. Not sure who replaced her though.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#72Answers to questions
Posted: 3/21/22 at 6:31am

I caught this yesterday and had a wonderful time, but then again, this is Hairspray and how can you NOT have a great time?! The cast was great and high energy. I will say Niki Matcalf sounded a little tired as Tracy and like she may have been getting sick. Nina West was absolutely terrific. What a great and fun casting choice! It was a joy to hear that score performed live after not having seen a production in quite some time.

The set, while definitely scaled down, looked great and not cheap or tired at all like some tours (I'm looking at your Tootsie and Beautiful tours!). However, I was last row mezzanine, so signs of not repaired/ not touched-up wear and tear just may not have been visible from my seat. Lighting design was bright and fun, and I liked the addition of the video design that replaced some drops and effects in past productions.

The sound mix, while great in act 1, was appalling in act 2. The sound was BLARING loud for the entirety of the second act to the point of extreme discomfort. I LOVE my shows loud, but this was just painful and grating. Not sure what happened, but it definitely detracted from my enjoyment of act 2.

All in all, a very solid touring production of a very fun show. It looks like the tour will be continuing well in the 2022-2023 touring season and hitting some major cities. If this comes near your, I would definitely check it out.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos