pixeltracker

What’s Next For The Barrymore?- Page 3

What’s Next For The Barrymore?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#50What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/21/22 at 10:19am

Last night, SeatGeek accidentally revealed, then rehid, the Into the Woods extension through 1/8/23, so an announcement is forthcoming, no doubt.

PeterC6482
#51What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/21/22 at 10:52am

troynow said: "You may be right -- seems "troynow" deleted their post today about the coming productions to the St. James and Barrymore... they're renowned for their scoops but interesting this sudden deletion.

Feeling a need to defend my track record here... LOL. Last week it was no way in hell this move was happening a hard no.... and frankly P.L had the upper as they held the lease, This week, after a major deal with a hefty price tag $$$ PL and agreed to leave the St james. Which is NEW information. LOL.
"

Why doesnt "Piano Lesson" book the Imperial, if they are concerned about the size of the stage and the capacity of the house?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#52What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/21/22 at 10:53am

I suppose the Imperial is holding out for Cinderella.

Oh look, a bibu!

PeterC6482
#53What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/21/22 at 10:56am

PeterC6482 said: "troynow said: "You may be right -- seems "troynow" deleted their post today about the coming productions to the St. James and Barrymore... they're renowned for their scoops but interesting this sudden deletion.

Feeling a need to defend my track record here... LOL. Last week it was no way in hell this move was happening a hard no.... and frankly P.L had the upper as they held the lease, This week, after a major deal with a hefty price tag $$$ PL and agreed to leave the St james. Which is NEW information. LOL.
"

Why doesnt "Piano Lesson" book the Imperial, if they are concerned about the size of the stage and the capacity of the house?
"

Apologies..I could have said this in my previous message:

Also. wouldn't it have been easier for Into the Woods to move to the Barrymore for four months, and cost less money?

Hamilfan2
#54What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/22/22 at 5:17pm

PeterC6482 said: "PeterC6482 said: "troynow said: "You may be right -- seems "troynow" deleted their post today about the coming productions to the St. James and Barrymore... they're renowned for their scoops but interesting this sudden deletion.

"

"

Apologies..I could have said this in my previous message:

Also. wouldn't it have been easier for Into the Woods to move to the Barrymore for four months, and cost less money?
"

ITW likely wouldnt be profitable in the Barrymore, since they'd be taking a 700 seat cut with a big orchestra and all star cast.  PL moving to the Barrymore is less of a decline because PL isnt selling the balcony of the ST James so it would only be 400 seats less.  It's also likely cheaper to run and the space is a much better fit for a play of its size.  Just makes sense all around imo.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#55What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/22/22 at 6:09pm

Wow, that's a giant extension. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#56What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/22/22 at 6:43pm

PeterC6482 said: "Why doesnt "Piano Lesson" book the Imperial, if they are concerned about the size of the stage and the capacity of the house?"

My assumption is that Piano Lesson DOES NOT actually care about the house size (whether the Imperial is avail or not) and knows they will benefit from the smaller theatre. This, most likely, is simply them trying to milk some money out of Jujamcyn: If ITW/Jujamcyn wants to potentially benefit financially from Woods' longer run, Sonia & the PL team wants them to pay through the nose for it (which will significantly help PL's recoupment chances).

troynow
#57What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/23/22 at 10:39am

Wow. Sonia has been hit hard between this at PL and Funny Girl. Its alot. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#58What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/23/22 at 11:49am

troynow said: "Wow. Sonia has been hit hard between this at PL and Funny Girl. Its alot."

How has she been "hit hard" by PL?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#59What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/23/22 at 1:12pm

I think it's a smart move for everyone involved. It's a better playhouse and the smaller venue will be better for the performers, etc. 

saxpower
#60What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/23/22 at 3:25pm

ITW likely wouldnt be profitable in the Barrymore, since they'd be taking a 700 seat cut with a big orchestra and all star cast. PL moving to the Barrymore is less of a decline because PL isnt selling the balcony of the ST James so it would only be 400 seats less. It's also likely cheaper to run and the space is a much better fit for a play of its size. Just makes sense all around imo."

It also looks like they are not selling the rear Mezzanine or the orchestra behind Row Q-which happens to be the last row at the Barrymore, so they may be preparing for the official announcement. 

I'm hoping they announce soon- I have a NYC theatre trip in November and want to know whether ITW is an option. 

Hamilfan2
#61What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/23/22 at 3:38pm

HogansHero said: "troynow said: "Wow. Sonia has been hit hard between this at PL and Funny Girl. Its alot."

"

I imagine its just a logistical nightmare.  Have to renegotiate contracts (both with the actors and the theater organizations since Jujamcyn does not own the Barrymore), make modifications to the set, reassign every single person who has already bought tickets (on what will now be a new ticketing sight), figure out messaging, etc.  Its definitely not an ideal position for a lead producer, even if it is coming with a hefty paycheck.

TaffyDavenport
#62What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/23/22 at 3:43pm

saxpower said:

"It also looks like they are not selling the rear Mezzanine or the orchestra behind Row Q-which happens to be the last row at the Barrymore, so they may be preparing for the official announcement."

Interesting. Yeah, that's new. I have a seat in mezzanine row N, which still shows up in my SeatGeek account, but I'm sure it'll be cancelled. I'm guessing the announcement will be at the beginning of the week.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#63What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/23/22 at 4:11pm

Hamilfan2 said: "I imagine its just a logistical nightmare. Have to renegotiate contracts (both with the actors and the theater organizations since Jujamcyn does not own the Barrymore), make modifications to the set, reassign every single person who has already bought tickets (on what will now be a new ticketing sight), figure out messaging, etc. Its definitely not an ideal position for a lead producer, even if it is coming with a hefty paycheck."

Every single one of those things is either virtually nothing or handled by professionals (who are well prepared to deal with them without any nightmares) a notch or more below the producer. This is nothing like Funny Girl which is why I posed the question. 

troynow
#64What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/23/22 at 6:14pm

troynow said: "Wow. Sonia has been hit hard between this at PL and Funny Girl. Its alot."

Hogan I was referring to the Post comments about her new show Ny,NY and then you combine that with her work on PL and this leak and then Funny Girl. Seems like a tough time for Sonia.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#65What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/23/22 at 10:19pm

troynow said: "Hogan I was referring to the Post comments about her new show Ny,NY and then you combine that with her work on PL and this leak and then Funny Girl. Seems like a tough time for Sonia."

ok. I was just reacting to PL as presenting some big deal problem. In the scheme of things, I don't think it presents that great a challenge.

TaffyDavenport
#66What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/25/22 at 12:26pm

Tickets for The Piano Lesson at the St. James are no longer available to purchase.

TaffyDavenport
#67What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/25/22 at 12:36pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Tickets for The Piano Lesson at the St. James are no longer available to purchase."

tHiS 1S eRasUrE i WaNt tO BuY tH3M T0DaY!
"

cheeky

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#68What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/25/22 at 2:12pm

So if I already purchased two second row orchestra seats for PL at the St James, will these automatically be transferred over to the corresponding seats at the Barrymore?  Wondering how this process will work since St. James is the horrible SeatGeek and Barrymore is the slightly less horrible Telecharge.

TaffyDavenport
#69What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/25/22 at 2:27pm

I'll be surprised if they transfer them, since it seems like a logistical nightmare to do between 2 different ticketing platforms, with 2 different theatre owners and 2 different price structures, but who knows? They'd have to refund the SeatGeek seats anyway, which would require them to send all the sales and seating assignments to Telecharge, who would then have to contact the buyers to get new card information so they could repurchase. Cancelling all the St. James tickets and making people buy again just seems much more feasible to me, since advance sales weren't particularly strong anyway.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#70What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/25/22 at 2:55pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Cancelling all the St. James tickets and making people buy again just seems much more feasible to me, since advance sales weren't particularly strong anyway."

I assume they are doing everything in their power to prevent the above –– the producers will not want to risk losing those sales if people choose not to re-buy, even if sales have been limited up to this point. Jujamcyn will likely have to transfer the existing money in escrow to Shubert, and Telecharge/Shubert will send out new confirmation emails (since technically the Piano Lesson production entity does not have that as earned money yet). Then if people want to cancel or move their seats or whatnot, they can do so.

TaffyDavenport
#71What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/25/22 at 3:16pm

I'm curious to see how they deal with it, since the first preview is only 8 weeks away. However, I'm fully expecting a refund on my seat, which is one that has no corresponding seat at the Barrymore. 

OhHiii
#72What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/25/22 at 3:29pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Cancelling all the St. James tickets and making people buy again just seems much more feasible to me, since advance sales weren't particularly strong anyway."

There is zero, and I mean zero chance that PL would have taken this deal if that was a move they'd need to make. It takes months and months to amass a show's advance even if it's a pathetic sum, there's absolutely no way they're canceling all orders unless they're completely changing the run dates and for some reason PL moves to Spring. I imagine a sticking point of the deal and probably a reason why it was a "hard no" per troynow was insuring transference of all purchased tickets.  

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#73What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/25/22 at 3:41pm

OhHiii said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Cancelling all the St. James tickets and making people buy again just seems much more feasible to me, since advance sales weren't particularly strong anyway."

There is zero, and I mean zero chance that PL would have taken this deal if that was a move they'd need to make. It takes months and months to amass a show's advance even if it's a pathetic sum, there's absolutely no way they're canceling all orders unless they're completely changing the run dates and for some reason PL moves to Spring. I imagine a sticking point of the deal and probably a reason why it was a "hard no" per troynow was insuring transference of all purchased tickets.
"

I'll never understand why some people fret about other people's problems. It's 2022; this is not a big deal. And SeatGeek will do whatever Jordan asks them to do. Not to mention that their net revenue will be higher. 

JSquared2
#74What’s Next For The Barrymore?
Posted: 7/25/22 at 4:04pm

TaffyDavenport said: "I'm curious to see how they deal with it, since the first preview is only 8 weeks away. However, I'm fully expecting a refund on my seat, which is one that has no corresponding seat at the Barrymore."

Don't hold your breath waiting for an automatic refund.  You will be switched to a seat that is as close as possible to your St James seat.  If they can't do an "exact" match, they will upgrade you to something better.

Videos