pixeltracker

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews- Page 3

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#50CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 2:09pm

If I’m not mistaken, the only Roundabout show to close early (that I can recall) was “People in the Picture”.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#51CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 2:18pm

What are the chances of this extending?

Jordan Catalano
#52CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 2:19pm

Not good, since “The Minutes” is set to go in after this.

sondheim94 Profile Photo
sondheim94
#53CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 4:04pm

At this point is anyone expecting an extension? REALLY hoping it'll be here in March. Is that wishful thinking?

Jordan Catalano
#54CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 4:07pm

As I just said, “The Minutes” begins previews 2/25 at that theater so “Caroline” will not be there in March.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#55CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 4:40pm

The happiest people in the world should be Tesori and Kushner as they’re finally getting the kinds of reviews for the show that were always deserved.

Seen this production twice now and cannot wait to go back again. It’s such a different take from the original, but it works and it’s making me examine the show in new ways. Grateful we’re able to experience this.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#56CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 8:39pm

This show is not selling, despite the rave reviews. Tons of seat availability throughout the remainder of the run.

JasonC3
#57CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 8:39pm

Some of the negative comments at the NYT in response to Jesse Green's review are just ridiculous and make me question my remaining faith in humanity.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#58CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 8:42pm

As many have said, it's a subscription house and it will not close early. But, I doubt it will extend at all, even a week or two. 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#59CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/28/21 at 8:48pm

Even with all the subscribers, you can pretty much get whatever seats you want, currently, if you’re willing to pay $199 and higher for the good ones. Maybe Roundabout will do some promotion and things will change.

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#60CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/29/21 at 2:23am

Matt Rogers said: "Even with all the subscribers, you can pretty much get whatever seats you want, currently, if you’re willing to pay $199 and higher for the good ones. Maybe Roundabout will do some promotion and things will change."

Stop spewing facts Matt Rogers!! People here don’t like facts and reality. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#61CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/29/21 at 4:06am

JasonC3 said: "Some of the negative comments at the NYT in response to Jesse Green's review are just ridiculous and make me question my remaining faith in humanity."

It’s really hard for Caroline in my opinion because it is genuinely a challenging, difficult show it will be attacked by all walks of life. If I recall the comments showed people complaining for the following reasons:

* woke people complaining that it was not written by a black writer (well at least the show was a collaboration with George C Wolfe and Tonya Pinkins is very vocal…plus it is Tony K’s somewhat actual life experience so it’s not like he is inventing everything out of thin air)

* subtle racist people complaining the show has to be praised because of wokeness (I don’t agree that critics wouldn’t criticise shows with black stories if the show is poor) 

* people complaining the story presents Caroline’s character as too dark, too depressing and hopeless (I don’t doubt that most people would prefer ‘I’m here’ over ‘lot’s wife’ in terms of emotional comfort)

* people complaining it is racist towards Jews and Tony K hates Jews (really?)

* people complaining they hate the score (I understand because it really does take a few listens in my opinion to fully grasp the sounds and patterns for it to all click into place - until you break through this curve it did come across as noise to me but now I hear the beauty through most of it. The same kind of thing re: Sondheim scores. Once you ‘hear’ it it’s really hard to understand why others don’t but I remember clearly it takes a bit of time.)

I don’t think people have to be so mean but I kind of understand this is what happens when you don’t follow the grain - people don’t like it. 

Also, the show of course is not selling well right now as it didn’t in the west end either but I don’t know why we need to get all surprised or hurt over this. We are in a pandemic, it flopped in 2003 and it’s a difficult show in a difficult market in a difficult industry. That doesn’t take away from the artistry in fact it probably does reflect high quality of the artistry. Hopefully the reviews mean things pick up a little. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#62CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/29/21 at 10:10am

I am confused, I know that things have been closed for a little over a year, but have people totally forgotten how theater companies like Roundabout/LCT/2ST work?

How limited/subscriber based runs work?

The last show that I can remember having to close early was Women on Verge back in 2011, and it only closed a week or so early in January and didn't have these reviews. 

Roundabout slotted this right in the perfect time for the holiday season and it will wrap up right after the New Year. It's not that complicated to see how this was planned. 

VintageSnarker
#63CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/29/21 at 10:32am

Matt Rogers said: "Even with all the subscribers, you can pretty much get whatever seats you want, currently, if you’re willing to pay $199 and higher for the good ones. Maybe Roundabout will do some promotion and things will change."

I mean, I very well might be willing (depending on my luck getting tickets to other shows) but I would also appreciate a discount for the first few rows. I'm just not sure when I'll be able to go again after November. Any more word on the view from people who have sat in the front orchestra for this?

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#64CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/29/21 at 11:54am

And there is always the TKTS booth. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#65CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/29/21 at 12:43pm

I hope we get a cast recording. This cast would seem to warrant it!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Fosse76
#66CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/29/21 at 1:02pm

What's your point? You can say the same thing about almost every show. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#67CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/29/21 at 1:15pm

* people complaining it is racist towards Jews and Tony K hates Jews (really?)

Those people are clearly dim and have never seen the show. Ridiculous. 

JasonC3
#68CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/30/21 at 11:16am

Chris Jones, Chicago Tribune, weighs in.

"For Kushner and Tesori fans, a number that long has included me, it is gratifying to see that Broadway now has caught up to this show."

Jordan Catalano
#69CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/30/21 at 3:15pm

For those curious, at the matinee right now there appear to be only a handful of empty seats. (For those hoping for the shows early demise).

kwoc91
#70CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/30/21 at 6:08pm

I was at today’s matinee too! My rush seat was mezz row DD and it was great. This was my second time seeing the show and I plan on going back many times before it closes in January. It’s so good.

I thought they handled the washing machine mishap at the top of the show very well, lol

I also thought John Cariani was much stronger today than the last time I saw the show.

rg7759
#71CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/30/21 at 8:42pm

Forgive me if it's been discussed but did people notice in 2004 that both this and wicked have a glinda bubble? Or is that new

binau Profile Photo
binau
#72CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/31/21 at 4:40am

I am not hoping for the shows early demise but example open seats for the next two performances, (Sunday/Tuesday) which is why people are probably a little negative about sales. Many of these seats in normal times will be filled on the day by TKTS etc. but at least based on some of the shows I used to follow on a literal daily basis because I have a sad life (e.g. 2011 Follies), it would be unlikely to sell most/all of these on the day. Not sure if it's a little harder right now because of COVID. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#73CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/31/21 at 5:00am

Also, might have already been posted but has anyone seen this annoying and snarky NYPost review?

https://nypost.com/2021/10/28/caroline-or-change-review-a-pretentious-broadway-revival/

It annoys me that it suggests "Lot's Wife" is the only deeply satisfying moment...I mean I agree it's the best part of the show, but it's not the only good moment - and importantly, without everything that comes before this moment (and after too), the moment would not have the pay-off it has at all. 

JasonC3
#74CAROLINE, OR CHANGE - Reviews
Posted: 10/31/21 at 8:57am

For this show and in these times, I don't find those seating charts particularly unsurprising. Proportionally, they probably aren't too different than most shows except the traditional blockbusters right now. I, too, hope more people find their way to this production though.

Videos