pixeltracker

Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread- Page 3

Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#50re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/2/04 at 1:55pm

Wow that site is amazing....I have to say though that I hope a movie is in the works but NOT with Lauryn Hill involved. I posted a thread a month or so about a Dreamgirls movie and I still think that Frenchie Davis is perfect for Effie, Beyonce Knowles as Deena, and Fantasia Barino as Lorrell. I also think it would be a perfect opportunity for Cuba Gooding Jr to make an amazing comeback as Jimmy.

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

MargoChanning
#51re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/2/04 at 2:03pm

The funny thing is that I've heard that the original concept wasn't a Supremes-like girl group, but a Valley of the Dolls -esque story about three young girls trying to make it in the big city.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

NBC
#52re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/2/04 at 2:13pm

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Margo's long post on choreographer pedigree...kudos! Very well-written and informative.

Sadly, I saw what I think was the first national tour in Los Angeles, but my memory of it is fairly dim. Due partly to youth, and partly to the fact that if memory serves it was at an outdoor amphitheater and I was sitting very, very far away from the stage. I didn't even save the playbill, just ripped off the cover and stuck it in a scrapbook. (Duh.) It was only in the past year or two after I bough an issue of Jet magazine on Ebay that had a cover story about that tour that I realized I had even seen Jennifer Holliday! How embarrassing for me. Well, at least I saw it...

And I'm all for a gathering at SBNY...I love Musical Mondays!

"I cried during the Frug." - MC

#53re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/2/04 at 2:21pm

Margo is the reason I give myself for spending so much time on this site!

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#54re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/2/04 at 2:26pm

amen! the thirst for knowledge is a beautiful thing.

let me know when you guys go for Musical Mondays, i'll have to come in the city for the evening!

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#55re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/2/04 at 2:39pm

I stand corrected on the title
Thanx Margo re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#56re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/2/04 at 9:33pm

I'm with you LuvUr (about Beyonce and Fantasia) I'd sub-in Jill Scott for Effie though. She's more of a natural and she can bring the pain and the gentleness of Effie.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#57re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/15/04 at 4:25pm

I disagree completely with Frenchie as Effie. I saw her in the West Coast tour in Seattle and she just can not act. Her voice is okay, but Ramona Keller (who played Lorrell) trumped her in vocal power and that can NOT happen. Effie NEEDS to be the best singer on that stage or else the entire show doesn't work. Jennifer Hudson, I think, would be a much better choice for Effie. Effie's voice needs to peel the paint off of the walls!!

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#58re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/26/04 at 12:46pm

I worship at the throne of Sheryl Lee Ralph,she is a true godess.I have had the pleasure of meeting and she went way above my expectations of her.
Happy belated birthday to her (Nov. 17th), she's still looking hot at 49 .
I've seen others in the role & enjoyed them but she is my one & only Deena Jones.

#59re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/26/04 at 12:48pm

Why thank you for that belated Birthday greeting, but actually, I am 29!

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#60re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/26/04 at 12:51pm

Arnetia also starred in the sitcom The Big House earlier this year.

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#61re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/26/04 at 12:54pm

Deena Jones,
LOL!!!!!!!
STOP IT, YOU'RE KILLING ME!

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#62re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/26/04 at 9:37pm

my grandmother saw the production w/Frenchie Davis, Ramona Keller, David Jennings, she said it was wonderful. I love Ramona Keller's voice, I have never heard Frenchie Davis sing. I have yet to buy the cast recording...sounds great!!

broadwaystar2b
#63re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/26/04 at 9:43pm

My old thread is back!
Woohoo
Anyone new who joined recently want to share Dreamgirls experiences? re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread

Lynnespock2
#64re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/26/04 at 9:47pm

My husband was a photographer who had photographed one of the men from the original ensemble. We went to see it with my 5 year old daughter who didn't want to leave her seat at intermission; she was afraid someone would take her seat. She sat tranfixed the whole evening as did we. At the end of the show, we met him backstage and he signed her program. She said, "Oh, I just met a STAR!" Wish I could remember his name, although I do remember his face.

I think Dreamgirls was one of the best evenings of theater I have experienced.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#65re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/27/04 at 11:14am

Well, I saw the OBC 5 times & pretty much "stalked" the cast @ the stage door after the show.
When the revival came around in 1987 for a 6 weeks only stay,I feel as if I helped it stick around for 6 months because I saw the show once a week for that entire run. I "stalked" that cast too. Arnetia Walker had a running joke about how rich I must be.I also saw the Paper Mill playhouse production.
I love this show & I love seeing Sheryl Lee Ralph,Loretta Devine & others still working.Dreamgirls has a very special place in my heart.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#66re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/27/04 at 2:38pm

What a great thread! I stage managed a production of Dreamgirls in February, and I wasn't familiar with the score before, but its become my absolute favorite musical score ever. Even now, entire weeks go by where "Steppin to the Bad Side" is stuck in my head. I'm a huge fan of Norm Lewis's performance on the Concert Recording as well, and I also agree that it would make an incredible movie - if cast correctly.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

touchmeinthemorning
#67re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/27/04 at 4:05pm

I spent three hours last night listening to Dreamgirls with a Dreamgirls virgin. By the time we were done listening (the actor's fund concert cast), he didn't think anyone could be a better singer than Lilias. Then, I pulled out the OBC, and he began to worship at the feet of Jennifer.

We both agreed that the perfeect Effie would be Jennifer Hudson. We think Christina Christian (from American Idol 1) would be a good Deena. We were at a loss to find a better Lorrell than Heather Headley, but we think we could easily settle for the amazing Ramona Keller.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#68re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/27/04 at 4:27pm

I love DREAMGIRLS almost as much as I love myself.....(just kidding) but i do love DREAMGIRLS. It was my first Broadway show EVER and I saw the Original Broadway Cast and the revival in the last '80s that played the Ambassador Theatre, which i saw more times than i can count. I loved Alisa Gyse in that version.

broadwaystar2b
#69re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/28/04 at 6:33pm

touchmeinthemorning and Marquise, I saw Ramona Keller as Lorrell and Alisa Gyse as Deena and they were PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#70re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/1/04 at 12:38pm

I love this thread!!!!!!!
Anywho...
I have loved,loved,loved Alysa Gyse every since I saw her on the first season of "Star Search"(She was first runner up).

Remember when she was Kenu on A Different World?

Well she was my 2nd favorite Deena (Ms. Ralph being my fave)she had great chemistry with Lillias White & Arneitia Walker.
She was awsome.

Hey guys,
Let's keep this thread going,it's fun.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#71re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/1/04 at 3:45pm

I will always chime in on a Dreamgirls convo! I was watching The Five Heartbeats yesterday and I was just thinking about how similiar some of the themes are between DG and that movie. Either DG should go to film or The Five Heartbeats should come to the stage. I think I want both.

Does anybody know what happened to the Dreamgirls revival that's supposed to be heading to broadway? I heard that Deborah Cox, Sasha Allen, and Jennifer Hudson mentioned. Does anybody have the current lowdown?

LoringsGuy
#72re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/1/04 at 3:59pm

OK, so if they made a movie of Dreamgirls, who would you cast as Curtis, Jimmy and C.C.? There's always speculation about the female roles, but not many people talk about the men.

It would be fun to see some big stars in cameo roles. How about Jessica and Ashlee Simpson as the Sweethearts?

(Runs for cover)

OK, that last part was a joke!

How about Jamie Foxx as Jimmy?

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY
Updated On: 12/1/04 at 03:59 PM

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#73re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/2/04 at 3:25pm

Yes, Jamie Fox as Jimmy & that little red headed guy from last seasons American Idol as Dave of Dave & the Sweethearts.LOL!!!!!!

BwayTheatre11
#74re: Dreamgirls Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/2/04 at 3:26pm

Should I add the Dreamgirls Concert Cast Recording to my Christmas list? I just bought the OBCR about 3 weeks ago and LOVE it. Someone here said that the concert recording was a more complete score.

CCM '10!
Updated On: 12/2/04 at 03:26 PM

Videos