pixeltracker

BKLYN matinee cancelled today....- Page 3

BKLYN matinee cancelled today....

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#50re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 7:30pm

lucky you didnt.

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

BSoBW2
#51re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 7:34pm

oh, yeah. for sure!

BROADWAYFAN3
#52re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 8:17pm

The show is on right now. They are troopers!!!!!

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#53re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 8:23pm

Is Ramona or her understudy in?

ey3cue
#54re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 8:53pm

Hahaha, you guys are so funny picking on poor Brooklyn, because it doesn't have flashy special effects or stuffed full of high paying actors. The music is good, the entire cast has talent (which is very hard to find) and it doesn't have cheesey gimmicks pulling the show (*coughavenueqcough*). I'm sick of all these shows inspired by old musicians like Moving out and All Shook Up, and straight comedies flooding the scene. Oh and let me say Monthy Python is not funny, never was and never will be, and adding music will not change a thing. What's really sad is it'll probably be the best out of your other picks for best musical. Little Women and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Give me a break! You can't take Little Women and stuff it into a two and a half hour musical, I was less then wowed. Oh and it'll be a sad day when a show about a flying car and with songs with titles like "Hushabye Mountain" wins a Tony. Though after last years Tonys I wouldn't be surprised by anything...

MargoChanning
#55re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 9:06pm

Most of us are not objecting to Brooklyn's lack of special effects or star performers. The problem is its lack of a coherent book, competent lyrics, underivative music or professional staging and production values.

You'll notice the nearly 100% approval of the new musical "Spelling Bee" on the part of board members, critics and the rest of the general public which has resulted in that show being a major sold out hit that will be moving to Broadway shortly. It also has no special effects or star performers, it isn't based on a film or any other source material. Rather, it's a wholly original, well-written, well-performed, hysterically funny and powerfully moving new show. It's also a soldout hit. In other words it everything that Brooklyn aspired to be, but isn't. Watch for it at Tony time (along with Spamalot, DRS and Light in the Piazza).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#56re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 9:07pm

"The entire cast has talent, which is hard to find."

1. No

2. What about DRS? What about SPELLING BEE? What about BROOKLYN BOY? What about DESSA ROSE? What about almost every other show on or off Broadway? They're all better than BROOKLYN.

Plum
#57re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 9:35pm

Doesn't Paradice sing a song comaparing herself to a raven or something?

And ey3cue, you can tell yourself what you want- I was ready to love Brooklyn until I heard the sample CD. How am I to judge a show if not by its content? Updated On: 2/19/05 at 09:35 PM

melissa errico fan
#58re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 9:40pm

Yes, she does, indeed. It is one of the worst songs in the show.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#59re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 9:44pm

no it's a really good song..just a matter of opinion, Brooklyn is a very creative show, and I love the cast recording...please don't argue w/me, i don't want to start arguments in the forum...everyone's entitled to their opinions...
ric

Dollypop
#60re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 10:20pm

Of coourse the wonder of all this is the fact that BROOKLYN is still running.

Close the show, already! I've seen better costumes at yard sales!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

melissa errico fan
#61re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 10:33pm

Hey, maybe I'll go to the BROOKLYN garage sale. Can't you just see me strolling down Broadway with my Wonderbread armband?

FosseBoi
#62re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 10:47pm

The thing about us bashing it because it isnt a big specticle is BIG BS! Look at RENT! It has NO specticle in it! Do you see us bashing it? NO! The people in it do this thing called singing. The people in BKLYN do two things: screech and yell! Maybe thats a reason of WHY we bash it!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

melissa errico fan
#63re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 10:49pm

Praise the lord, FosseBoi!

FosseBoi
#64re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 10:52pm

Oh hunny I know!LOL!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

melissa errico fan
#65re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 10:53pm

The producers are just cutting off their noses to spite their faces. They don't want to cede that the critics were right.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#66re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 10:55pm

Don't forget that RENT has a comprehensible story line.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

FosseBoi
#67re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 10:57pm

GOD! How stubbern can anyone be!? Just close it! Eden CAN sing! I've heard her sing stuff from WICKED and she sounded GREAT! She DOES NOT need to waist her voice on something as HORRID as this!

melissa errico fan
#68re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 10:57pm

Yeah, and good songs.

Gypsy2 Profile Photo
Gypsy2
#69re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:00pm

Both Ramona Keller and her understudy got sick, and they found someone who was an understudy in the trial run to go on that evening.

You know it and you want it... you just can't believe you've got it.

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#70re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:01pm

The people in "Rent" sing more than the people in "Brooklyn"? I saw both recently and I found "Rent" far more difficult to sit through. I thought there was a lot more screaming in "Rent" than in "Brooklyn". If anything, the lyrics to the songs in "Brooklyn" were far better than those in "Rent." (Think about the song "Rent". I somehow find those lyrics to be significantly more sophmoric.) Also, I thought "Brooklyn" was the most creative show I have seen in a long time, as opposed to "Rent" which really didn't hold my interest.

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#71re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:01pm

This board seems to have it's fair share of "know-it-alls." So, I'm surprised that not one of the many vocalists we have here have come forward to admit that if this was "screaming" that Eden was doing, her voice would have given out long, long ago. Amazing this board is...

-Vincent

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#72re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:04pm

Have you even SEEN Brooklyn? And how can anyone with a half-working brain say that RENT's lyrics are inferior to BROOKLYN's? BROOKLYN's lyrics are abominable, and don't even make sense.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

melissa errico fan
#73re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:04pm

One song in RENT is better than the whole of the BROOKLYN score.

Gypsy2 Profile Photo
Gypsy2
#74re: BKLYN matinee cancelled today....
Posted: 2/19/05 at 11:11pm

Not every thread started about Brooklyn needs to turn into a Brooklyn bashing session.

You know it and you want it... you just can't believe you've got it.

Videos