pixeltracker

The very first original cast recording you bought?- Page 3

The very first original cast recording you bought?

Dollypop
#50re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 8:17pm

WILDCAT starring Lucille Ball and Keith Andes. I still have it.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

wicked4good2 Profile Photo
wicked4good2
#51re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 9:26pm

hmm i think it was 42nd street

"It is a curious thought, but it's only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them."

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#52re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 9:27pm

into the woods. ive been a sondheim freak ever since

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

noahrp3
#53re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 9:30pm

Little Shop of Horrors. I fell in love with broadway with this soundtrack and started listening to more cast recordings and within a year my collection grew to 30 cd's.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#54re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 9:47pm

Will Rogers Follies in 1992. I had just seen the tour in SF and was enchanted with the entire show, from sets to cast. It was this CD that led me to the City of Angels (the Dee Hoty connections)cast recording, which is still my favorite CD. The kids I was a nanny for then grew up singing along to that CD every morning on the way to school. They are now 13 and 15 and still absolutely love that CD!

But I digress....

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#55re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 10:51am

Phantom of the opeara, I was 4. I got the cd cuz my parents took me to the show. I loved it untill I saw it and was scared of the phantom poster in my dads room thinking it was calling me. I then reilized later in life how great the show is and that the poster wont try to marry me or sing to me.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

mikewood
#56re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 11:38am

I inherited all my father's so the first one I bought for myself was "Les Miserables".

There's a shocker.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

cabarethed
#57re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 11:50am

My mother's a show queen so we have a ton of albums...but the first I ever bought on my own was Cabaret (199re: The very first original cast recording you bought?, and that was after buying the Annie CD (TV) since I fell in love with Alan Cumming.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#58re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:56pm

The first I ever received was Les Miserables London Cast for Christmas 1987. But the first I ever bought with my own money was probably either Phantom of the Opera or Evita. I don't remember. I was just being introduced to the intoxicating, yet confusing and quite volatile world of musical theatre.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#59re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 12:57pm

With my own money, it was PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. I grew up in a house filled with cast recordings though, so there weren't too many I didn't already have.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#60re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 1:26pm

I'm with timote316 - the revival of Guys and Dolls with Lane and Prince and Peter Gallagher. PBS had a special on the recording of this show and I was fascinated and just HAD to have the "soundtrack" (yes, I called it a soundtrack back then). I got it for Xmas. I remember thinking Peter Gallagher was hot and from that point forward, whenever I saw him in anything, I would think of him from Guys and Dolls even though I never saw the show. And that is one, of many, reasons I love PBS.

I think it's funny my friends are only discovering Peter Gallagher now, some 13 years later, b/c of The OC and are like, "I love him!" and had no idea who he was "previously."

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

evwicked77
#61re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 1:50pm

Phantom of the Opera

AndiV Profile Photo
AndiV
#62re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 1:51pm

Annie...

So long status quo/ I think I just let go/ You make me want to be/ BRAVE

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#63re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 1:56pm

It was either:

Les Miserables Barbican cast

or

Oklahoma OBC

Can't remember which came first:)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#64re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 2:27pm

the originl Broadway cast recording of CATS was the first one I bought with my own money. I was 7 or 8 and came accross it in the "soundtracks" section.

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#65re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 3:30pm

The first one I received was "Annie" OCR. The first one I bought was the London OCR of "My Fair Lady."

BEKA531
#66re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 3:45pm

rent in 1997 when i was 8.

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#67re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 3:54pm

hmmm... well for Christmas one year (I believe I was 10 or 11), I received the original recordings to South Pacific, The King and I, and Fiddler on the Roof (and loved all of them!). I'm not really sure of the first one I bought myself, though.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#68re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 3:57pm

I had my eye on the OBC recording of Annie for the longest time (even before I had seen the show). It was bright red with the shows logo on the front. At 14, I took the bus to our downtown district after school and went to the record shop to buy it. Like the first poster, I, too, had a paper route and saved my money to buy this.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#69re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:24pm

My first three were:

1). The Phantom of the Opera
2). Les Miserables (London)
3). Aspects of Love

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

iluvtheatertrash
#70re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:39pm

Into the Woods.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#71re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:56pm

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

sassypanz
#72re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/18/05 at 5:57pm

Kiss me Kate

OnTheAisle Profile Photo
OnTheAisle
#73re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:27pm

First OCR was Camelot - think it was the Columbia Masterworks releases - I wore that into the ground... I also had a paper route that helped finance my growing collection and also gave me rehearsal time - I'd work on a song while I delivered papers - it was a little bizarre, but I really got a lot out of that...

Great idea for a topic, by the way...

"Not a day goes by..."

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#74re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:35pm

'Jesus Christ Superstar' when I was in fifth or sixth grade.

It was the original recording on cassette. (It wasn't new then, either, this was probably 83 ir 84.)

Videos