pixeltracker

The very first original cast recording you bought?

The very first original cast recording you bought?

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#0The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 10:56am

As a child I had a paper route just so I could buy Broadway cast albums. When funds ran low, I'd gather empty glass soda bottles and turn them in for the deposit money. I'd then talk my parents into taking me to Sam Goody's in Manhattan. Once there I would pull out any show album that piqued my interest and line them up(I was always a sucker for Columbia's fold out albums). This was followed by a long painstaking process of elimination where I'd usually end up with two albums. All I wanted for birthdays and Xmas were more of 'em plus tickets to a Broadway show of my choice. My first OBC album was a stereo recording of "Carnival" which I quickly wore out. So I'm curious. What was your very first OC recording acquisition?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 10:59am

I have so many (400 plus & counting)& started seeing shows over 40 years ago. Therefore, I haven't a clue what the first one I ever bought was

I do know almost 10 new ones coming out I will buy. Where or where to put them - that's the rub as they say.

Poster Emeritus

Juliet2170 Profile Photo
Juliet2170
#2re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:01am

oh demitri, that's adorable! i feel your pain. my first OBCR was Phantom

Elizabeth_DeBris
#3re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:02am

Good question... sadly enough, I don't know. And the first recording I bought was only a few years ago. Before I bought my first cast recording, I had the soundtrack from "Grease," and a CD of romantic Andrew Lloyd Webber songs.
Hmm... I think it might have been "Cats," actually. It was either "Cats," or "Little Shop of Horrors."

stylinbohemian
#4re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:05am

It was an Original Cast recording cassette of Annie

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"
Updated On: 4/17/05 at 11:05 AM

riv
#5re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:06am

"Company" on LP in 1970. I was 14.

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#6re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:12am

the first in my household I remember as a child was BYE BYE BIRDIE and I remember asking and my folks got me the film soundtrack of MARY POPPINS. Within a few years I remember we had the FIDDLER ocr. I suspect the actual first album I bought myself was either APPLAUSE, COMPANY or PROMISES, PROMISES. I don't recall. But am quite sure it was one of those. :)

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#7re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:19am

The first one I ever bought was actually the revival of You're A Good Man Charlie Brown, I can't remember why it was that one. I was already in college and had done lots of theatre but my family was one of those "musicals are stupid" ones so I never got to listen to anything as a child. Now I have 50 or so and the list keeps growing.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

timote316
#8re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:23am

The revival cast of Guys and Dolls.

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#9re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:23am

Riv, I bought the lp the same year and remember I broke off part of the end of the album.. You must remember the tv special, right? THE MAKING OF AN ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING:COMPANY-- titled something like that. That was really the thing that turned Elaine Stritch into a bigger star than she had ever been,,,,was that "documentary" that was highly publicized and viewed. She came across loving, warm and fascinating to watch at work.

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#10re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:24am

Guys and Dolls OBCR

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#11re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:26am

Mid 90's revival of showboat, I was 6. I was hooked.

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

ikmbway
#12re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:29am

my first was Rent(i bought it for myself)
i bought cds earlier for my mom and my mom had cd's laying aroudn the house i would listen to. But i did buy my mom Wicked and Little Shop of Horrors for her birthday.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#13re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:31am

i distinctly remember it was HELLO DOLLY. i was a teenager, and my best friend got me hooked on musicals. whenever i'd seen movie musicals on tv before, i considered the songs a waste, and i used the time to go to the bathroom or get something to eat! but i'd never heard anything like CAROL CHANNING, and suddenly the whole idea of using songs to help tell the story CLICKED re: The very first original cast recording you bought?

RIP glebby <3

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#14re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:33am

Thoroughly Modern Millie
November 2003.

This is the show that got me into Broadway, and still holds a special place in my heart.

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#15re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:35am

RENT

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

#16re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:35am

MY FAIR LADY was the first I believe.

FUNNY GIRL was the first OBC recording that I bought in NYC. It was summer 1964, FG was currently on Broadway, and I was visiting the city for the World's Fair. Bought it at the Doubledays bookstore that was located on Fifth Avenue and 53rd Street.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#17re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 11:40am

phantom of the opera... that should be a given by now

::bust a move::

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#18re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:32pm

Rent...the first broadway show that wasn't a movie that I completely fell in love with and soon memorized all the songs and it lead me to my now obsession.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#19re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:32pm

Rent...the first broadway show that wasn't a movie that I completely fell in love with and soon memorized all the songs and it lead me to my now obsession.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

#20re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:35pm

The first one I bought with my own money was A Chorus Line.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#21re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:42pm

Les Miserables.

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Tirso de Molina
#22re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:43pm

Chorus Line here, too -- on LP. We already had lots of cast albums from 1950s and 1960s shows in the house, but the first one we didn't already have that I wanted was Chorus Line.

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

Jera Profile Photo
Jera
#23re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:47pm

I was in grade 2.... The Toronto Cast of Phantom of the Opera.... oh Colm! How I love you....

jera

"It's not a problem, it's just a challenge, it's a challenge, to resist temptation."

FosseBoi
#24re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:51pm

The first musical theatre CD that was MINE was the movie version of CINDERELLA with Ginger Rogers and such. My mom bought it for me because I ws in it and it was my first show.

I grew up with music because my mom was in the band in high school and is in a local concert orchestra. I think the first Broadway cast recording bought was ANNIE. I think it was that because I remember being obsessed with itre: The very first original cast recording you bought? and played it A LOT. I'm pretty sure it was ANNIE, but I know that we got the B&B casset when it came out. I might have gotten them around the same time.

Demitri2- that story is so cute!re: The very first original cast recording you bought?

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

Videos