Hairspray Movie

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#50re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:21pm

I'm not saying he's thin, but I wouldn't call him Chubby. I don't know...I guess I just like it when fat people play fat roles...I guess because not many fat people get much opportunity in Musical Theater, plus the whole trend with padding celebrties in fat suits...I mean if an actor actually gains the weight it's somewhat different but a fat suit, a la Gwyneth Paltrow, Julia Roberts and now Salma Hayak...

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

Mimi Imfurst
#51re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:31pm

what i dont understand is the arguement that harvey isnt a big enough name- i beg to differ. i think harvey is well known enough to play that role. I'm afraid.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#52re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:40pm

if he isn't a big name, people do recognize him as that guy from mrs. doubtfire and independence day... i'm sure people also recognize him as edna... i remember seeing images of edna before i even heard much about the musical

::bust a move::

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#53re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:43pm

is this official?!?!?!?! I dont mind John, he's fine...but justin?!?!?!?! i think im gonna go cry in a corner

AlmondEyes252 Profile Photo
AlmondEyes252
#54re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:01pm

Okay.. I'm not a big fan of Justin.
At all.
But if the people with the power to give him this part think that he can do this and do it well then I say let him do his thing.
Do I agree with him straying away from the pop culture world? Not so much, but look at it this way... If he blows in it then at least he won't try to do another musical again!!!

Marc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
#55re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:24pm

you all so crazy!

NO casting will ever be official until it is officially announced by a press release from New Line, the film studio making the movie...I can't even begin to understand why people write these false "reports". It's weird!

It's another example of why you guys should never believe EVERYTHING you read, ESPECIALLY online.

her are some facts:

the screenplay is not completed

no casting can be done until the screenplay is completed, budgeted and then "green lit", meaning the movie studio actually starts spending money on the creation of the film

at which point, the filming can be scheduled

THEN the film will be cast

until the role of TRACY is cast, NO OTHER young cast members will or can be cast since different actresses who will be up for the role "read" differently agewise (on screen), and those around her must look the same age...which, remember is 16ish...IN CLOSE UP!!

New Line has already showed great judgement and class by hiring Broadway director Jack O'Brien to direct his first feature film, not to mention original choreographer Jerry Mitchell and Scott & I as not just songwriters but as Executive Producers

please rest assured no one wrong for a role will get cast...it would be over SO MANY dead bodies, they wouldn't be able to get to the set over all the corpses!!

ok?

re: Hairspray Movie Marc

Bwaybaby109
#56re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:31pm

yay Marc!

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#57re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:55pm

Marc- Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy life to post here, and make sure that we know the truth.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#58re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:59pm

thanks marc... you're the best re: Hairspray Movie

i'll be waiting to hear when casting DOES begin for my chance re: Hairspray Movie

::bust a move::

Marc Shaiman
#59re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:04pm

my life isn't any busier than anyone elses! just wanted to set the record straight

re: Hairspray Movie

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#60re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:08pm

"my life isn't any busier than anyone elses! just wanted to set the record straight"

RIGHT...and how many movies/shows/albums are you currently working on?

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#61re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:11pm

Oy.
Hoping Harvey goes from Fiddler to Edna.
If he is not Edna then I doubt I will see the movie.
It will be on HBO in no time. Updated On: 4/19/05 at 10:11 PM

Marc Shaiman
#62re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:12pm

well, I didn't say anything about tinsel and glamour!!

but we all have the same 24 hours in the day to do what we must

NYAgent
#63re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:13pm

It doesnt matter who they cast in the movie. You will all pay to go and see it and rush home to see who can be first to post your own review. Admit it!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#64re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:17pm

If Harvey is not Edna there is no way I will go.
Nope.
Harvey or bust.
Bruce Vilanch would keep my interest but not Travolta.
Even better. Bruce Vilanch could be Harvey's husband. Updated On: 4/19/05 at 10:17 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#65re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:45pm

Aigoo wrote: "There was no "possible" in the article. Those two are set. John Travolta, I could understand. He did Saturday Night Fever and Grease, but Justin...blah. I just stopped reading."

Now maybe you will understand why I used the word POSSIBLE.

As Marc said: you "should never believe EVERYTHING you read, ESPECIALLY online."

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 4/19/05 at 10:45 PM

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#66re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 11:05pm

I, of course, have my personal preferences, (Harvey and of course Matt) but I have blind faith that since Marc and Scott are very actively involved, they will choose the artists they think are best for each role ! I mean, come on guys, do you think that we love and care more about Hairspray than its creators ? I am happy that it is being made, period ! And I pray for a fully loaded with extras 2-disc DVD after the thetrical release !

Take care

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#67re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/19/05 at 11:38pm

Marc-Thanks for calming me down! I know you would never put an actor in your show if you didn't believe that they could pull it off. btw, i watched the 03 Tonys again this weekend cuz I have the fever and i love when you and Scott win. when you grab Sarah Jessica's ass and that lovely kiss. I love Hairspray!

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

JoshuaEads Profile Photo
JoshuaEads
#68re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/20/05 at 2:17am

I've always kinda' wanted to see Louie Anderson as Edna and Ricki Lake in Jackie Hoffman's roles.

Think about it: Louie's large and funny, with a croaky, distinct voice.

Food for thought...

Any opinions?

My lip gloss is poppin'...

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#69re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/20/05 at 2:14pm

I would LOVE to see Patti LaBelle as Motor Mouth!

**hint hint, nudge nudge**

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

starlight2
#70re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/20/05 at 2:18pm

Marc as Wilbur Turnblad! Now there's some clever casting!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#71re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/20/05 at 2:19pm

Thank Goddess! So Robin Williams is still in the running?

PEACE.

Marc Shaiman
#72re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/20/05 at 3:55pm

all I know Sueleen is that your icon is definitely getting a callback!

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#73re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/20/05 at 4:33pm

Sue does have the most interesting icons.....

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#74re: Hairspray Movie
Posted: 4/20/05 at 4:47pm

Her Idina one is priceless. I peed my pants when I saw it.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Videos