New Wicked Cast

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#50re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 4:09pm

Ok I know that y'all said that the Wicked site had bene updated with the new bios, but JLT, George HEarn, and Carole Shelley are still on it when I go on there.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

deck925 Profile Photo
deck925
#51re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 4:57pm

when we saw the show i'm pretty sure it was George who came out as the lover. (sorry if i gave away the end to anyone who isn't familiar with it) and on the cd it is Joel Grey who sings that part. So i would expect the lover to be Ben Vereen now. right?

I'm kind of a sweat pant, t-shirt, no make-up type of girl. So once a year, I can get spiffy. Sutton Foster :)

PJ
#52re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 4:59pm

It's usually the actor portraying Fiyero who comes out as "The Lover" during No One Mourns the Wicked. But it's always the wizard's voice.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#53re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 9:34pm

I read somewhere that Idina's original name was spelled Aedena. Not sure if that's true or not.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#54re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 10:40pm

i know the entire cast sans morrible and the wizard appear in the opening number but i have a question, does this also apply to one short day? I could plausibly see them having the performers playing fiyero, boq, nessa, and dilliamond do that number since they're all done until act 2 immediately prior to that song.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

deck925 Profile Photo
deck925
#55re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/3/05 at 4:25pm

maybe because michelle federer who plays nessa is in the opening number as an Ozion. So maybe

I'm kind of a sweat pant, t-shirt, no make-up type of girl. So once a year, I can get spiffy. Sutton Foster :)

Glindafan
#56re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/3/05 at 4:31pm

We saw the show Tues & Wed and the changes are plentiful and for the most part, an improvement. Rue did speak about half her lines instead of singing them on the first night, but by Wednesday, she sang most of them and performed very well. She was also scary when she needed to be, unlike Tuesday.

Megan Hilty and Shoshana lit up the stage. Their duets were perfectly timed, on-key and both appeared to display real emotion - tears were running freely, as was their makeup. Shoshana's solos were masterful. Defying Gravity is always the show-stopper, but both nights were beyond belief. She's looking more the part every day as the memories of Idina begin to fade. Megan should become the new gold standard for Glinda. Her new bits in Popular and the fight scene are great.

Ben Vereen's voice adds depth and energy to the Wizard. We loved George Hearn, but Ben's voice and moves are wonderful, without being scene-stealing. Hearn could look sinister, but Ben simply cannot - his 'foreboding' look is no more sinister than a petulant chipmunk, but we'll forgive that.

Perhaps we're being over-optimistic, but even Fiyero sounded better. He has tended to go flat in the past, but perhaps he's getting it together. He still seems a beat slower than the rest of the cast.

There is so much buzz on this website that effectively trashes Wicked, but for my money it is a solid value in entertainment. The audience is fully engaged throughout. We saw six Broadway shows this past week and nothing compares to the crowds that attend this show. The thunderous climax to Act 1 remains the most astonishing moment I've encountered in decades of theater going.

There is a reason Wicked remains one of the toughest tickets in town - why it is sold out through December. People love it.

Wisdom often comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#57re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/3/05 at 6:15pm

wow nice review.
i don't think memories of Idina will ever fade away.

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

Glindafan
#58re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 1:23am

I hope you're right Kim, but I think fading is a natural thing. Idina's take on Elphaba was singular and as an actor, she had the constitution of an ox and a voice that ranged between awesome and angelic. Can't wait to see what she does next.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#59re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 1:28am

Can't have something to do with that big ol' movie coming out in the fall.

This is my signature.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#60re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 1:29am

It was spelled Adena.

Nice review of Wicked.

I can't wait to see Megan!
<---

LaVieBoheme2 Profile Photo
LaVieBoheme2
#61re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 1:36am

I don't think we have to worry about Idina being forgotten anytime soon. I mean look how big of fan base she has, and just think about the Rent OBC, we all still know and love them, and now they're making a movie. Sorry I bring up Rent in almost everything I write. Anyway, I'm really excited to see the new Wicked cast, I think they sound wonderful. Elyse. No day but today.

Elyse. No day but Today. My avatar: me talking to Norbert Leo Butz.

bwaybound865 Profile Photo
bwaybound865
#62re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 4:14am

Just to let anyone who wants to know SAYCON IS AN AMAZING ELPHABA! She has a much more powerful voice than Shoshana. As for Idina's memory fading away..... Yea right. Her performance as Elphaba will go down in the books!

deck925 Profile Photo
deck925
#63re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 10:39am

i agree bwaybound there is no way Idina's performance will be forgotten she is way better the shoshana!

DefyingPopular
#64re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 10:34pm

k can i just make a comment?

why is it that everytime someone says 'shoshana's good' someone else rushes in there to say idina's better? everyone is intitled to their own opinion!

thanks *steps off box*

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#65re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 10:36pm

Just leave it be. We don't want another idinamenzelfan5billion catastrophe.

This is my signature.

deck925 Profile Photo
deck925
#66re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 11:42pm

ok well sorry but like you said everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is mine i like Idina better and there isn't gonna be a big catastrophe that is just the way i feel.

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#67re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/4/05 at 11:46pm

Glindafan: What new bits did Megan add to Popular and the fight scene?

Glindafan
#68re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/5/05 at 2:17am

I remember that Megan used the mirror as a "microphone" and that got huge applause and the fight scene included a lot wilder wand-twirling followed by Megan getting Shoshana in a head-lock. They looked new to me and I can't remember the audience laughing so hard at those sequences before. I've probably left a couple things out, but I'm old.....

ButtonstheClown Profile Photo
ButtonstheClown
#69re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/5/05 at 4:28pm

...why go see it anymore...

Silence seemed the only way. Now I understand it's cost.

deck925 Profile Photo
deck925
#70re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/5/05 at 5:21pm

why wouldn't you want to?

FrontRowFirst Profile Photo
FrontRowFirst
#71re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/10/05 at 12:24pm

I noticed some changes last time I was there...anyone else? Instead of "this will just make me a better person" Galinda now says "Somethings wrong! I didn't get my way!" and heads off stage.

She also comes face to face with her two friends during her serious dance and has a moment of just staring at them. Making the decision what to do, and the continuing the dance. Like this part a lot more. Showed character development.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Didn't see it mentioned.

Videos