pixeltracker

La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards- Page 3

La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards

adamnyc Profile Photo
adamnyc
#50re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:09pm

That's too bad- it will be missed

"I want to tell you that Elvis would be proud." I said: "Priscilla, if I get 100 bad reviews, it won't matter because of what you said."

Jimmyojimmy Profile Photo
Jimmyojimmy
#51re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:17pm

Yeah its really sad i love robert goulet. Hey does anybody know when it opened? i can't remember.

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#52re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:19pm

A real shame! I was hoping the show would be successful and come to London re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards

Well done Cast and Crew!

So thats The Plymouth and The Marquis up for grabs for a show for the Autumn season!

Pajama Game/Princesses to move in?

Oh, The woman in white IS going to The Minskoff for a Sping 05 bow. Fiddler will play i think, or hopefully, until Jan 06

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#53re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:20pm

It opened November 11th, 2004.

http://www.ibdb.com/production.asp?id=383058

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#54re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:23pm

That is so sad. I was extremely skeptical of the show. in fact my friend Becky and I actually decided before that it would be awful and we would have fun laughin at it, but La Cage completely won me over. Then of course the Tonys performance reminded me of how fun that show really is. Ugh. This sucks. At least I got to see it...and with Daniel Davis :)

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#55re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:25pm

Surprise surpise. SOMEONE had to give in. I mean, the ticket sales were just ridiculously low, you can only hold out for so long.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Jimmyojimmy
#56re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:27pm

man, gypsy, i def thought it was going to run for a long time. re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
I wish i could have seen it.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#57re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:31pm

You can't get over to NYC before the end of June? You should really try if you live near by! Its a trully wonderful show. So much heart, gorgeous music and wonderful characters. Granted I haven't seen it with Goulet, will be on Friday, but the show it self is (as said in 'A little more mascara')"Fabulous"!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Jimmyojimmy
#58re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:33pm

Naw, i wish i could but my parents just bought me a new car, ie they arent spending anymore money on me. I live in NC and it would be like a 15 hour drive.

grizzabella
#59re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:48pm

I'm sad for the wonderful Cagelles and the cast, and the fans who were disappointed. However, the producers did this to themselves. They replaced a talented, capable singer/actor with a man who, for whatever reasons, was incapable of performing the role, and who did it no favors on Sunday night. However, it's been tanking since the week after Easter. Thank God I have fond memories of it with Daniel Davis!

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

Albin Profile Photo
Albin
#60re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 9:21pm

yes fan, you'll get up close. I saw it a few weeks agon and the ushers were practically falling all over themselves to tell everyone to move up once the overture started...

justthefacts2 Profile Photo
justthefacts2
#61re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 9:42pm

To answer a previous question, the show officially opened December 9. The previews began November 11. I am so glad I got to see this show with Daniel Davis. I remember him striding onto the stage with that grin you can see from space, and that amazing voice, and inviting us into the magic that was La Cage Aux Folles - and the way he said it "open your eyes" - in the voice full of wonder - he made the magic happen. You knew you were someplace special. I hadn't wanted to see it, actually, I was dragged there by a friend, but I am still singing it months after. The breathtaking Cagelles, Michael, Gary, Gavin - it was so sweet!!

Daniel Davis puts everything he has into his performance, because he obviously believes the audience deserves no less than magic. And he delivers. The producers, in trying to break him, broke the heart of this show.

Salmon leap from the womb of the white sea you look on; they are calves, they are lambs of good color, in peace without slaughter.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#62re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 9:44pm

I loved this production and had seen the original.
The dancer in the bird cage was amazing in my opinion.
I'm really glad I was in the 2nd row. It was a lot of fun being so close to the performers.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

grizzabella
#63re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 9:56pm

Bravo, Justthefacts2! Bravo! Beautifully put and completely true. Daniel Davis really did make the magic happen!

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

CurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
#64re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 9:58pm

I think Robert Goulet's performance killed it. Could he have given a more lifeless reading of his lines on the Tony's? They should have stuck with Daniel Davis, regardless of how big a Diva he may be.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
Updated On: 6/7/05 at 09:58 PM

hellacoolmichael
#65re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:00pm

It's a shame that such a great show/revival has to close.

BwayTheatre11
#66re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:08pm

I bet the company was so shocked! They probably were not expecting this the first day back to work after winning the Best Revival Tony Award.

CCM '10!

gavrochegirl
#67re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/7/05 at 11:26pm

Sad news...re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards

What the puck?!

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
mntwister Profile Photo
mntwister
#69re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/05 at 12:14am

It's sad to see La Cage closing. I am thrilled, though, to read a few posts stating they heard it might tour, then we will definately get it in Minneapolis. I saw the show with Peter Marshall in the 80's when it toured, and I just loved it. I think they didn't get a boost from the Tony's because of the scene they showed. I thought it rather boring, despite the great dancing, and it didn't give audiences a good idea of how touching the show is. The stage didn't look that great either. Why didn't they do A LITTLE MORE MASCARA (spelling?) or The Best of Times? Even the first number would have been great, although that was used in the original Tony's when the show came out.

I also thought Robert Goulet was rather boring, compared to Gene Barry. Just like he was in the tour of South Pacific.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#70re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/05 at 7:57am

I agree that the nunber they did at the Tonys had too much dancing, and should have included "I Am What I Am". It is a good show (saw it once with Daniel davis, but not enthralled enough to see it again).

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#71re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/05 at 8:05am

Glebb,
The dancer in the bird cage is Andy.
Come on people. Save his ass!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#72re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/05 at 8:18am

Somewhere, "Sunday in the Park with George" fans are smiling.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#73re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/05 at 8:20am

I know his name is Andy. I saw him from the 2nd row the night I met a (Pink) friend of his for the first time. :)
I already dubbed him a Goddess in another thread.
Sending survival vibes to La Cage.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#74re: La Cage Will Close June 26, Despite Tony Awards
Posted: 6/8/05 at 10:50am

It doesn't need survival vibes, it needed different producers.

And face it - Goulet killed the show. Any hopes of a boost from the Tony awards was ruined by Ghoulet fumbling and having to read his one line.
And they want him to tour?? Ha Ha Ha Ha. The produsres are truly idiots. Or maybe they're trying to pull off a scheme like in "The Producers" and do the worst show they can.

Updated On: 6/8/05 at 10:50 AM

Videos