pixeltracker

Casting for the Little Mermad- Page 3

Casting for the Little Mermad

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#50re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 7:22am

Harvey Fierstein would make a great Ursula with his deep voice and in his Edna drag.

theaterlover45 Profile Photo
theaterlover45
#51re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 7:53am

I agree about Harvey ^

Cabchic
#52re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 8:36am

Amazing how this sort of turned into a Sara bash thread. It's a shame that everyone is taking Riedel's story as absolute truth. Yes she missed performances but I believe they were warranted. I'm sure she doesn't want to miss them on purpose. At the same time I'm sure she doesn't want to go on stage if she's going to sound horrible because of her allergies. She will have to figure out how to improve her health but it's no reason to call her a disgrace. And if you want to boycott Spamalot until she leaves as a result of her absenses go ahead, but you are only cheating yourself out of an absolutely amazing performance. If she wasn't so good in the show, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Up In Lost
#53re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 8:38am

This is really random, but, I opened up the fridge today, and there is Harvey in Tevye get-uo on the Tuscon milk carton. I had a little chuckle, it was funny.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.
Updated On: 8/23/05 at 08:38 AM

Di2
#54re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 8:56am

My friend Jen Shrader (who was my Narrator on tour with Joseph for a long whle, on bway in Swing and as Belle in BATB on bway)
would be an amazing and GORGEOUS Ariel....

leefowler
#55re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 9:52am

I'm mermad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Illegally Blondish Profile Photo
Illegally Blondish
#56re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:04am

Emily's notorious for missing shows. She missed a third of the performances of Side Show, missed at least one show a week in Full Monty, missed less of The Dead then those two, but over the years her attendance hasn't gotten better. She also flakes out a lot on shorter engagements. It's a 50/50 bet she'll be there.

I didn't mean to knock her. I still think she's a wonderful performer. I was just curious as to why it would be wrong for Sara to play the role because of her attendance and okay for Emily. Seems like double standards.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but I know from a very reliable source that Emily's not in the role anymore. I think it's a shame. Truthfully, of all the people mentioned, I think she's the most ideal. Unless they go through many Ursulas that don't work and Disney is very forgiving by the time the show actually goes into production, I'd count her out.

[m.egg*
#57re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:06am

are they still working on the little mermaid? i thought it was cancelled...anyways if they are still doing it i agree about sutton foster!

Sporti2005
#58re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:37am

disney was in talks with my friend seraphima for a while about her playing ariel -- but i don't know if anything ever became of that.

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#59re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:42am

Christopher Walken as King Triton

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#60re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:48am

Matt, I think I would die laughing. "He's. A human you're. A. Mermaid!"

Patti LuPone as Ursula re: Casting for the Little Mermad

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#61re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 10:52am

"Hey, I'm positive. I hope Ariel is cast with an unbelivably talented 19 year old, who is age appropriate for the role! Butler's fab, but sorry, she's pushing 40."

So? She played a 16 year old in Hairspray. Looks aren't always important. I mean, okay, you're not going to get a 70 year old grandma to play Arial. But in Kerry's case, looks don't matter because she looks young. Any flaws could be fixed with makeup. All in all, if you have the talent, why not?

And no, in response to what someone said before, Prince Eric didn't have any songs. But they'd most likely write songs for Eric for a musical.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Illegally Blondish Profile Photo
Illegally Blondish
#62re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:04am

Well, I know they added about five new songs so far for Ursula, so I'd assume Prince Eric gets a couple himself. re: Casting for the Little Mermad

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#63re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:05am

it'd never happen but Betty Buckley would be the greatest Ursula ever. or Jennifer Holliday!

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#64re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:27am

I agree that they should cast an unknown as Ariel, it would be refreshing. Someone with a really great voice, even though it should still sound young.

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

SongNDanceman2402
#65re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:29am

oops Updated On: 8/23/05 at 11:29 AM

SongNDanceman2402
#66re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 11:31am

cabchic- i agree, and im glad that someone finally defended Sara on this subject.

Cabchic
#67re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 12:14pm

Thanks songndance. Glad to see someone on my side. Everyone is talking like they know for a fact that she is just missing performances because she fels like it. I'm sure she realizes she has finally gotten her big break and does not want to ruin it. Hopefully she gets past it. She has seemed fine after the shows at the stage door. I think she realizes that Riedel is just a writer who likes to create controversy, whether it has merit or not.

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#68re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 2:40pm

Wait, where is this playing? If it's B'way then I agree w/ Disney taking over. I thought I heard something about Sleeping Beauty one time. I mean nothing's wrong w/ Disney it's just there's a lot of it on Broadway.

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#69re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 3:16pm

It's not playing yet. They don't even have a set cast, this thread is speculating casting. There have been some readings.

There is always a lot of Disney. They're like the plague.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#70re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 3:21pm

Jennifer Holliday as Ursula would be brilliant. Great idea, Matt!

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#71re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:07pm

There are millions of legendary divas that would Rock as Ursula, but they'll never come about.

They way things look, I predict Celia Keenan-Bolger will be Ariel.

However, Anneliese Van der Pol would be orgasmic, but I think the best person to play Ariel out there now is Jessica Grove. Her voice is beautiful, and would be a perfect fit for the role.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#72re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:12pm

Chris Seiber as king....i know he isn't old enough but i just wanna look at him shirtless

#73re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:19pm

Having heard the demos, I can't stand Kerry Butler... my vote is for Sutton Foster. So that way, she, can yet again, play a plucky, adventurous young girl who strives for something more.

Hmmm. That sounded alot of snarkier than I intended. Not that I'm complaining, I think it's a role she does well.

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#74re: Casting for the Little Mermad
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:24pm

Kerry Butler must come back to Broadway.

Videos