pixeltracker

The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, February 19, 2006- Page 3

The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, February 19, 2006

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#50re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:58pm

I think it's "cheesy" to try to blame the closing on any specific thing. It's obvious there were multiple reasons that the show wasn't successful. But I'm shocked to see it close so soon...oh well, one less show I have to see.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#51re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:59pm

The show just sucks the big wad.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#52re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:03pm

WOW! That was super quick! re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa Never got to see it...

inla2
#53re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:03pm

Didn't mean to start an argument about theater size. But Kevin Mccollum (lead producer on Drowsy..also AVE Q and Rent) is one smart cookie and knows what he's doing. I'm sure wherever Drowsy lands it will be a well thought out, intensely scrutinized decision on the part of the producing team. Updated On: 2/3/06 at 09:03 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#54re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:04pm

Right on.

gecko
#55re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:14pm

I didn't expect it to close so quickly - I enjoyed it with Maria Friedman and Michael Ball,

However, whenever my friends went, they saw understudies.....they didn't make the trip for that - not a good way to build word of mouth about a show.

evic
#56re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:15pm

I predicted an 8 month run like Bombay and Chitty.....they must have no advance and very wise of them not to throw another couple of million into the gutter..it frees a theater for something else...next flop to close- Chita- or the gimmick show-that ad in the Times about seeing Robbins, Fosse, et. al was really distasteful-but wouldn't be surprised if they do try to bring Liza in for a few weeks-too bad Donald O'Connnor and Doug Henning aren't around to help her out-the creators really blew it by missing out on producing a show with incredible potential starring an incredible legend.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#57re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:24pm

Evic,
I don't blame the producers of Chita at all for trying whatever to fill those seats. I do hope Liza does the stint. I would definitely make a trip to NY for that. I guess you can view things like this as gimmicks. I view it as a opportunity. Liza back on broadway. I hope it happens.

Updated On: 2/3/06 at 09:24 PM

cmleidi
#58re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:24pm

When did a bad show necessarily equal bad box office? (not judging WIW as I haven't seen it)

I do think the absences had a lot to do with it. I was interested in seeing the show, but the frequent absences made me decide to see something else in two weeks when I come to New York. I still don't understand why they didn't have Friedman take time off to deal with her illness and hire someone to take over the role until Friedman returned. When you can't depend upon the selling point to perform(and I'm certainly not blaming her), why take the risk of buying a ticket when they won't refund your money if she doesn't perform?

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#59re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:29pm

I actually spoke to someone pretty familiar with the LA Theater scene Monday night at the JRB show, and he said that Chaperone lost money when in LA.

I am not sure if it was because the run was relatively short, or some other reason. Everyone I know who saw it loved it.

But, I don't know how that would impact the size of the theater they try to book in NY.

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#60re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:31pm

OK.... Friedman is not known AT ALL here. How is she a selling point?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#61re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:34pm

YouWantitWhen????,
I think alot of that had to do with the fact thatthe entire season previous to that at the Ahmanson sucked. With many shows canceling and being replaced and the artisctic director changing. Many , many people did not re-new subscriptions.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#62re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:37pm

" I still don't understand why they didn't have Friedman take time off to deal with her illness and hire someone to take over the role until Friedman returned."

They did, Judy Kuhn. But now Maria Friedman will stay until the end.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#63re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:39pm

I know. I was just surprised.

When I was there, it was pretty full.

Hopefully the CTG is turning things around.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#64re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:41pm

Does anyone know if Michael Ball gonna be out through the closing?

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#65re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:43pm

This is sad. It really wasn't that bad of a show (it was simply alright) but there's definitely worse on Bway right now that deserve to close first. re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa

I'm just sad I wont get to see Friedman's immensely entertaining and incredibly wonderful performance again.

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#66re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:48pm

this show was brilliant in so many aspects.
it's a shame to see it go - all the best to the cast.

i feel priveleged to have been to one of the few performances with the entire original broadway company.

bwayondabrain
#67re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 9:57pm

this is really too bad, i was going to see this
well, i wish maria and the cast all the best
if i wrote maria now, though, do you think shed get back?

JMVR Profile Photo
JMVR
#68re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 10:15pm

How gullible do they think we are?? Yes, the cast was sick - and this excuse would have been believable in a mainstream star-driven show like Sunset Boulevard (while Glenn was there) or Victor/Victoria (when Liza or Julie were there) but come on people, how many tourists visiting NY over the holidays knew who Maria Friedman or Michael Ball are? The fact we are a privileged group in knowing how great these performers are should not blind us to the fact their presence was not the main reason non-fans bought tickets to this show.

My point is, the show is closing because it was not selling. Period. If the show were a huge hit like Wicked, Lion King, Phantom (in its first 6 years) etc. the show would have survived no matter if Michael Ball was sick every other day. It's like saying Phantom would not have made it if Michael Crawford has been sick during the first six months . . . come on, now.

I for one liked it (not LOVED, but enjoyed) and feel very sorry for the cast and it's a shame that the producers lost money, but they should accept the fact that it wasn't selling and not make an issue of Ms. Friedman's illness and politely but implicitly blame it on her and Michael Ball's poor health.

The meat is always leaner on somebody else's dinner plate!

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#69re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 10:17pm

Aww...I'm sad. I wanted to see it...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#70re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 10:21pm

It used to be the name of ALW meant instant hit. There goes that myth

My wife loved the show & now wants to see the final performance. Told her maybe TDF as we payed full price first time & not this time. This was the 2 nd big blockbuster turned bust we paid full price for. The other was Dance Of The Vampires

I call it the Michael Crawford connection. DOTV bombed & this with Crawford in it in london closed early & now closes here

Wonder what Andy will do now ? By the way, still think Friedman will get a Tony nod even though the show will not

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 2/3/06 at 10:21 PM

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#71re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 10:33pm

My only experience with Judy Kuhn was her good performance in the terrible Craig Lucas translation of Three Sisters at the Intiman Theatre in Seattle this past summer. I found out she was replacing Maria the day after I bought my $26.25 ticket for the February 15th Wednesday matinee. Now it turns out I get to see the show in its final days and (hopefully) with at least Maria if not Michael too.

I've never liked Andrew Lloyd Webber, but I'm glad I get to see this before it ends. The shame is that, as previously discussed on this board, the size of the theatre doesn't seem to fit anything.

ThankstoPhantom
#72re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 10:48pm

I am one of the fanatics of this show. It was such an amazing show, and I am absolutely heartbroken that such a powerful show has not been able to find its audience. I think it's closing because of frequent star abcenses and lack of publicity. I didn't care that Michael Ball was out on Jnauary 14, I still enjoyed this show.

My best wishes go out to the amazingly talented cast. They worked so hard, and succeeded, to bringing emotional, powerful performances that just did not click with Broadway. I wish Broadway would've been more accepting of it than the schlopp that's pouring in. At least I was able to finally find a new musical that made me think and not laugh the whole time.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#73re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 10:49pm

NO!

Ah, well. I was also one of the lucky few who got to see this show with the entire original Broadway cast. I was tryingg to spread the word about this show, but no one saw it. I told my Guidence Counselor she should've seen this show instead of CHICAGO. Ah, well. C'est la vie. I also expected this show to pull a JANE EYRE and plow through Tony Time, and close around then. Le sigh. re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#74re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 11:04pm

Yes, I was extremely fortunate to receive a comp to the opening night--one of the few performances to obviously have the whole cast. I was pretty blown away by them.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Videos