pixeltracker

Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07- Page 3

Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#50re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:15pm

From the playbill article:

"Director Doyle previously mentioned the possiblity of the show touring, noting casting would perhaps not be a concern. 'It's so interesting how many people who have come out of the woodwork who can suddenly [act, sing and play an instrument]'".

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#51re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:23pm

Telecharge lists Sweeney as having two show on the 3rd: a 2:00 and a 7:00. Does anyone know if the 7:00 will still go on or if they will just have a 2:00?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#52re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:24pm

Such sad news. re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07 Very glad I had the chance to saee it. Good luck to everyone.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

opiv Profile Photo
opiv
#53re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:25pm

re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

I wish I could've gotten the chance to see it.

"I feel god in this chili's..."

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#54re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:26pm

This is very sad news, but nothing unexpected. I am now very glad that I saw this show twice last week when I went to nyc. I wish the very talented cast and crew all the best.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#55re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:27pm

I leave for school the Tuesday before, but I am seriously thinking about coming home for the weekend for the closing performance. What a way to ruin a good day.

Whatever happened to class?

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#56re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:28pm

Sad news... Guess I'll miss it... Not going to NYC until October...

caitiesus1522 Profile Photo
caitiesus1522
#57re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:32pm

This is really depressing! I was hoping to go see it again one evening my first week of classes...but that isn't going to happen since I start sept 5.

Oh well...it was the perfect show for a first Broadway show...

Color and Light
#58re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:33pm

Oh dear! How sad! I suppose I'm going to squeeze in one more performance when I come up to the city in August!

Stop looking at my charisma.

MOXIEINTHECITY
#59re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:42pm

They added a 7PM show. I just bought my ticket. Row BB, Seat 1. Is that any good?

TheAudrey3 Profile Photo
TheAudrey3
#60re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:46pm

BB1 is where I sat on the 16th of July. It's off to the side a fair bit, but you're still a huge part of the action.

"It does what a musical's supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue."

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#61re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:52pm

This makes me so sad. I'm just glad it had a helathy run and was able to recoup. I wish I could go to the closing performance.

I wish the best to the cast.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Reverie
#62re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:53pm

I'm not going to New York until November and I really, really wanted to see the show re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

I hope the tour comes near here *crosses fingers*

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#63re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:53pm

It's Not Sad. It's Passing The Torch!

This production was wonderful and we all know it. We also knew its day would come to close. It was a magnificent crowning achievement for the entire cast, Broadway, and Doyle. Congratulations! They should be very happy with its highly-rated and -reviewed run.

I had the pleasure of seeing my favorite musical and cast twice and I will surely not miss the tour when it begins in San Francisco. I'm very happy, of course sad a little, but look at the phenomenal success it was for theatre as a whole! It will be difficult for any new revival production to beat the ingenuity that this production did.

The bar was raised! WELL DONE, SWEENEY TEAM!

John3 Profile Photo
John3
#64re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 8:59pm

I have to see this before it closes, I am glad I am going to be going in NY for school.

kristin3
#65re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:01pm

They will pass that torch on to the COMPANY cast and I bet that show works even BETTER in Doyle's style.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#66re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:05pm

Hey Moxie, I'm BB2, be sure to wave hello! (Best part, great leg room!)

I'm truly saddened to see such a special show leave Broadway. But it was wonderful to see such a thoughtful, intelligent production on the boards for a time. In a Broadway full of a lot of pablum, it was wonderful to think, to imagine, to get chills, for a few hours in a truly unique way. I just hope Broadway has learned that audiences can indeed embrace something different and challenging, and bring more daring productions to the boards.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

colored by esteem Profile Photo
colored by esteem
#67re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:10pm

Rest in Pace, Best Show Ever.

MOXIEINTHECITY
#68re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:11pm

Are you sitting next to me? Is BB2 next to BB1?

My telecharge rep was less than gracious in helping me understand the seating chart. I think she put me on hold to curse me out. :)

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#69re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:19pm

BB2 is the aisle seat of the right orchestra. BB1 is the aisle seat of the left orchestra. So no, not next to each other.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#70re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:20pm

Hey MOXIE,

We're on the front row aisle seats, you on the orchestra left, me on orchestra right. If you can't get center close, then I think they're a pretty good alternate.

I actually sat in this same seat a couple of weeks ago. There were some sightline issues for me right after Turpin's Johanna (because the John Orbo and his bass is in front of me), but otherwise I love them. I think it's great to see them work so close. Your side is great as well, if I recall. Although a lot of the bakery scenes are on my side, you'll have a better view of the staging overall.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 7/30/06 at 09:20 PM

queendork
#71re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:21pm

Seating chart for the theatre.

(Edited to fix the link.)

Seating chart Updated On: 7/30/06 at 09:21 PM

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#72re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:23pm

Oh wait nevermind...I think I misinterpreted your post EugLoven

Updated On: 7/30/06 at 09:23 PM

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#73re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:33pm

I guess I won't get to see this one in NY. I hope much of the original cast come on tour.

Chrysanthemum62001
#74re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07
Posted: 7/30/06 at 9:34pm

My heart just broke.

Still, I'm glad to say that this was the most thrilling live theatrical experience I've ever had. A million thanks to the actors, producers and everyone else involved.

Man, just a little bit over a month more and it would have ran a year. re: Broadway's Sweeney Todd Closes Shop On 9/3; Tour set for '07

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Videos