News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...- Page 3

Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...

turquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
#50re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 1:59pm

I'm in England so you might not know all these people.
When I saw The Woman in White the first time both Michael Crawford and Maria Freidman were out (I didn't know Michael was ill).
I have seen Wicked a few times so it is understandable to see standbys. I have seen Shona White when i wanted to see Kerry Ellis (who I later saw) and the other way round have gone on purpose to see Cassidy Janson (u/s Elphaba) and Annalene Beechey (standby Glinda)
The only one that upset me (I soon got over it) was missing David Badella in The Rocky Horror Show tour. He was ill so i can't blame anyone but I was so so happy when I saw the show again with him in it.
Overall I have seen a lot of understudies (including those in place of 'star' names) and I have a great deal of respect for them. They have a hard job, often having to know several roles.

Hiram
#51re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 3:20pm

I went to see TABOO and both Raul Esparza and Boy George were out. I didn't care about missing Boy George but I was so bummed that I missed Raul E. His cover was fine but I have a feeling Mr. Esparza was amazing in the role.

When I was a kid, I adored the Original Cast Recording of PIPPIN and was so looking forward to seeing the Original Company. Leland Palmer, who played Fastrada, was out. Her understudy was weak. About six months later, I went back for my second time. She was out again! How's that for lousy timing?!!!

#52re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 4:48pm

Sutton Foster. Thoroughly Modern Millie. I saw the show FOUR times and missed her every single time and I don't live at all near New York. It stunk because I was actually her fan before Millie and wanted to see her in her big break. Four times. Unreal. Did she miss a lot of shows during her Millie run or was I just incredibly unlucky?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#53re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 5:17pm

lfae, you didn't miss much in the Huey Lewis department. I saw him twice and can guarantee that he is the worst Billy to have ever been in that show. Be grateful you got an understudy!
-BJH re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#54re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 5:21pm

-Brooke Shields in CABARET (didn't go for her, didn't care that she was out)
-Deborah Gibson in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (same goes for this one)
-Polly Bergen in SIX DANCE LESSONS IN SIX WEEKS. Bummer.

Other than that, I've had much luck. I even saw Donna Murphy in WONDERFUL TOWN!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jg4892
#55re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 5:34pm

Oh, I missed Sutton in Millie too, that sucked. I usually have pretty good luck, and when I don't it's ok because I love seeing understudies. I actually saw LaChanze on a wednesday matinee, when I've heard of people missing her on saturday nights and such.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#56re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 5:37pm

It's never happened to me (though I did miss John Lithgow one day before he came back, but I wasn't there to see him) though I hope this doesn't happen at Grey Gardens in the summer. I hope the full cast is in that day.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#57re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 5:39pm

went to see Zero Mostel in Fiddler ---- got Paul LIpson (who was great)

went to see Debbie Reynolds in Woman of the Year--got Louise Troy. Not so great.

oh well.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#58re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 5:53pm

Wiz-to increase your chances of seeing the full cast of GG, don't go July 7-14.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#59re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/19/07 at 5:54pm

I know, Ebersole's on vacation that week, right? I'm going the week after, the 21st. Hopefully the full cast is in.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#60re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 6:22pm

Jon Pryce was out when I went to see DRS, which really disappointed me at the time, but his understudy was great, and in the end I'm just glad I saw Norbert. :)

I have tickets to the Sat. matinée of Les Mis on June 16, and I'm PETRIFIED that Lea Salonga will be out. On the other hand, I really want to see Megan as Eponine.

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

coolkid11776
#61re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 6:48pm

I went to see Antonique Smith as Mimi in Rent. The Board said she was in so I got my tickets at the B.O. When I returned for the show the updated board said she wasn't in. I was very unhappy. I talked to the manager and got free tickets to go back I was in Center ORC Row J. It pays to speak up

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

ThankstoPhantom
#62re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 7:08pm

I try to never see a show for a particular actor unless it's a friend. I look at seeing the star as a bonus.

However, I have had some slight dissapointments...i.e. Michael Ball in The Woman in White, however, that wasn't the reason I went.

(However, I will admit I would've been a tad dissapointed if Friedman had been out.)

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#63re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 7:30pm

This weekend I went to see Julia Murney in Wicked (and she is pretty much the only reason I'd see it again) and she was out...but at least the rest of the cast was pretty good. Especially Lisa Brescia.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#64re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 8:10pm

I went to see Flower Drum Song for Lea Salonga. Apparently, I saw the only performance she missed. It was Yuka Takara's first time going on as Mei Li. She was fine, but she's not Lea.

~Steven

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#65re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 9:24pm

WIsh I had been there. I wanted to see Lisa Brescia. I heard she's awesome as Elphaba.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#66re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 9:30pm

BJH, the Billy understudy was INCREDIBLE, so I got over it pretty fast re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor... I love when it works out for the best.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#67re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 9:44pm

I've been pretty lucky (?) with seeing the leads in the role when I saw the show. The only one I remember specifically going to see was Ute Lemper in Chicago. I got Nancy Hess. NOT HAPPY.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

theatregeek2
#68re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 10:44pm

Lizzycurry......when did you see it? Because I too only wanted to see her in the show and went to the Saturday (5.19) 8pm show.....she was there and was absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#69re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 10:49pm

We saw the Sunday matinee. Oh well!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 5/21/07 at 10:49 PM

SondheimFan2
#70re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/21/07 at 11:47pm

saw understudies of elphaba and glinda on wicked tour in october '05 i was disappointed before the show started, but they turned out to be pretty good. at least i didn't miss idina and kristin.

wanted to see tom wopat in annie get your gun in '99, not there. didn't really matter though since bernadette peters outshone the entire cast.

thought i wasn't going to see christine ebersole in grey gardens since it was a matinee, she was there though, and absolutely amazing

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#71re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/22/07 at 12:13am

I feel really spoiled.

I don't think I've ever seen understudies for major roles or people that I wanted to see. It's almost always ensemble roles.

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#72re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/22/07 at 8:55am

"I may or may not be one of those who headed to New York for Idina's last 'Wicked'."

I had tickets for that performance too. I wasn't too broken up about it, because a) I didn't pay for them and b) I saw her a week prior at her originally scheduled last performance. I still went to the show though, so I witnessed the infamous red track suit appearance, lol.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#73re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/29/07 at 1:08am

I had tickets to Idina first reporting last show, but then she extended another week. So at least I got to see a full show. It ended up being Chris Fitzgerald's last day, though, if I recall.

I do remember seeing people out of Taboo all the time, but since I saw the show many many times, it didn't bother me. But I remember being there on my birthday - the night they told the cast the show was closing. It was weird. The show started late, Raul and George weren't in, and there was a strange feeling watching the show. Sure enough, when I got home and logged on...

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#74re: Ever went to a show to see a specific actor...
Posted: 5/29/07 at 8:24am

I got slammed, all in one weekend.

THE PRODUCERS: Nathan was out. Saw Brad Oscar.

THE FULL MONTY: My beloved Patrick Wilson was out.

AIDA: Adam Pascal was out.

Needless to say, I was a disappointed puppy that trip.

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

Videos