pixeltracker

I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?- Page 3

I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?

VIETgrlTerifa
#50re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:57am

I guess it's the argument of whether not there's subtlety vs. being non-existent.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#51re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:59am

iluvtheatertrash ~ Like I said, I adore subtlety. I did not adore Company but not because of subtlety or lack of or anything. I just didn't LIKE it. It happens.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#52re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:01pm

However, I do believe that they gave it to DHP because they had to give CURTAINS something.

If that's the case, then they should have rewarded the late Peter Stone's book instead of inexplicably letting Spring Awakening sweep that category too.

DHP's performance was... cute, but Best Actor in a Musical? I'm not so sure. For me, Raul's performance was one of the most powerful in recent memory. If they were going to to give it to anyone else besides Raul, it should have gone to Cerveris for his understated work in LoveMusik.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#53re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:03pm

Not since CRASH beat BROKEBACK...

And that's not just a glib remark. Don't you all think it was very close? Perhaps even 10 votes or something? Which was probably the case with the aforementioned films.

The voters vote, quietly, at home, alone. They don't huddle in a room together like jurors and strategize saying "we need to give CURTAINS something, don't we?" or "Raul has won everything else, let's mix it up."

Voting is subjective, and just as there are people here who find Esparza perfection, there are others who find him a singing Sandy Dennis, all mannerisms and tics.

I like him, but find his choices erratic and sometimes at odds with the character, even, yes, in his legendary catharsis I have look away when he shakes his head and screams MOCK ME WITH PRAISE!!! Huh? Both times I saw the show, I wondered, Why is that line angry? It's a random bit of emoting that doesn't serve the song or make a damn bit of sense.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#54re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:06pm

"However, I do believe that they gave it to DHP because they had to give CURTAINS something."

A truly ignorant statement.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#55re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:06pm

'a singing Sandy Dennis, all mannerisms and tics.'

God love you, Auggie. God love you.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#56re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:17pm

"However, I do believe that they gave it to DHP because they had to give CURTAINS something."

No. It was because it was the 10th anniversary of the 1997 Tony Awards in which they didn't give Steel Pier a single award, though it had 11 nominations. That is why DHP won.

Raul can sleep well tonight knowing he was not mocked with praise.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#57re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:19pm

"No. It was because it was the 10th anniversary of the 1997 Tony Awards in which they didn't give Steel Pier a single award, though it had 11 nominations. That is why DHP won."

Karen Ziemba feels mocked with praise right now.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#58re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:20pm

Actually, it's because Chenoweth was snubbed this year and she was IN Steel Pier and so Pierce had to win.

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#59re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:22pm

Ahhhhhhhhh ... Pier / Pierce, it all makes sense now.

LostLeander
#60re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:24pm

"Karen Ziemba feels mocked with praise right now. "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

May the Lord bless you, and keep you, Rathnait.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#61re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:29pm

Raul doesnt impress me at all either. His vibrato KILLS me!!!!! HAvent really seen his actiing but his voice turns me off enouph that I dont care if he can act or not!

1peter4:10
#62re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:30pm

I can't stand his voice. Blech

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#63re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:37pm

I think it is interesting that someone with a voice like his is a "star" on Broadway.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#64re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:54pm

You know, I think if Raul had never been in Taboo and Tick Tick Boom, we would not even be having this discussion...am I alone?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#65re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:56pm

Ding Ding Ding.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#66re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:59pm

Never really been a Raul fan and based on his performance of Being Alive last night I wouldn't give him a Tony.

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#67re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:00pm

I also dont think Raul wouldve deserved to win, and I'm very glad David Hyde did

I feel that yeah, Raul has a few big standout parts like "Being Alive", which were incredible. But I just felt he wasn't consistently good throughout the show, and was pretty uninterested for a good part of it. Save for a few times where he really shined.

On the other hand, David Hyde did not have any standout songs or scenes, BUT was consistently in character, and working hard throughout the show.

So yeah, I hope that made sense, but yeah, I'm glad the Tony voters didn't give Raul the Tony! Maybe another year and another role, but he didn't deserve it for COMPANY...

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

#68re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:03pm

I know many of you love him and that's great. To each his own.

Broadwaygirl: Your posts are so full of passion; you must ADORE this man and this show but you should relax a bit. It's alright if people don't agree with you.

Personally,I have never seen Raul perform (outside of his Tony performance last night) and I concur with some other posters that I was also so turned off by his voice (that horrible gunshot vibrato) that I will make sure that I never see him in a show.

I could not stand listening to that sound for 2 hours.

Sorry to those who love him.
Updated On: 6/11/07 at 01:03 PM

The_Jackal2 Profile Photo
The_Jackal2
#69re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:10pm

You're certainly not alone! I was really glad DHP won, I thought he totally deserved it! (So did my friend...)

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#70re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:12pm

You know, I think if Raul had never been in Taboo and Tick Tick Boom, we would not even be having this discussion

That's awfully dumb logic. If he weren't in those shows then he would have been in something else. He's a good performer. That is why he is being discussed.

-best12bars

-skibumb5290

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#71re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:21pm

TheActr, I think the comment partially had to do with the fact that both of those shows have somewhat of a cult following. Notice he didn't mention Chitty or Rocky Horror. Yes he would have been in something else, but I don't think people would be obsessed with him the way they are now if it weren't specifically for Tick Tick Boom and Taboo.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#72re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:26pm

I suppose, but it's hard to deny that his work in those shows was deserving of the praise and following it got.

-best12bars

-skibumb5290

Thesbijean
#73re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:42pm

Not only did he not deserve to win for what I felt was a merely a serviceable performance in a strong production, but he DIDN'T win.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#74re: I did NOT think Raul deserved the tony...am I alone?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:57pm

"You know, I think if Raul had never been in Taboo and Tick Tick Boom, we would not even be having this discussion...am I alone?"

Maybe you wouldn't be getting the argument back from some people on here, but I didn't see either of those shows, don't even own the Taboo recording, and probably have listened to tick tick Boom twice in my life. In fact, the only time I ever saw Esparza perform prior was in a couple of benefit concerts. Some people were genuinely impressed with Esparza's work in Company.

2373, I think I'm just channeling my frustration with the lack of perception as far as the actor's and director's jobs in general into this show. I think most people on this board wouldn't know good acting if it smacked them across the face.

Videos