pixeltracker

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread- Page 31

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread

Rentaholic2
#750Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 11:13am

Ok.  Seems odd to me that all the major characters would immediately be in positions of authority the second they get out of school, but I guess agree to disagree.  Doesn't really make a difference in the end!

pmensky
#751Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 11:17am

Rentaholic2 said: "Ok. Seems odd to me that all the major characters would immediately be in positions of authority the second they get out of school, but I guess agree to disagree. Doesn't really make a difference in the end!"

No, there’s nothing odd about the characters in question getting those jobs out of college at all for the exact reasons I just explained. Do I need to hire an illustrator?  

Rentaholic2
#752Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 11:24am

pmensky said: "Rentaholic2 said: "Ok. Seems odd to me that all the major characters would immediately be in positions of authority the second they get out of school, but I guess agree to disagree. Doesn't really make a difference in the end!"

No, there’s nothing odd about the characters in question getting those jobs out of college at all for the exact reasons I just explained. Do I need to hire an illustrator?
"

I wasn't just referring to those two characters, as I explained above.  I also said like five times I'm probably wrong, so not sure why you're being catty.  But I'm done arguing with someone I don't know about something that doesn't matter.  Take care! 

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#753Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 11:24am

I think the implication is that the Wizard grants Glinda--and by extension Fiyero, since he's her boyfriend--special favors to help them rise in prominence. At the end of Act 1, the Wizard promises to give Elphaba a bunch of influence and status if she goes along with his plan of erasing Animals from polite society, and he also extends that offer to Glinda. We're given no reason to believe that offer to Glinda was rescinded when Elphaba bailed, which would explain why Glinda and Fiyero have such high status just a few years after being freshmen in college. 

Nessarose being the governor is also explained by the fact that her and Elphaba's father died, and since the governer of Munchkinland (for some reason) is an inherited position, and Elphaba as the older sister has been disgraced for rebelling against the Wizard, Nessarose got the job by default. Her still being college-aged at that point or just barely graduated doesn't present a problem here. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Rentaholic2
#754Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 11:28am

Elfuhbuh said: "I think the implication is that the Wizard grants Glinda--and by extension Fiyero, since he's her boyfriend--special favors to help them rise in prominence. At the end of Act 1, the Wizard promises to give Elphaba a bunch of influence and status if she goes along with his plan of erasing Animals from polite society, and he also extends that offer to Glinda. We're given no reason to believe that offer to Glinda was rescinded when Elphaba bailed, which would explain why Glinda and Fiyero have such high status just a few years after being freshmen in college.

Nessarose being the governor is also explained by the fact that her and Elphaba's father died, and since the governer of Munchkinland (for some reason) is an inherited position, and Elphaba as the older sister has been disgraced for rebelling against the Wizard, Nessarose got the job by default. Her still being college-aged at that point or just barely graduated doesn't present a problem here.
"

That all makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying. 

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#755Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 11:33am

No problem! For what it's worth, I've never been clear on what the time gap was actually supposed to be. Some casts play it as if it's only been a few months or years, whereas others seem to add maturity to their characters in the second act that allows for a longer interpretation of time. Maybe the movies (ugh, I still hate that I'm using plural for this) will clarify it more. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#756Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 11:37am

Seb28 said: "TheQuibbler said: "Isn't this the same person who, in another thread, said that Cynthia Erivo arrives inPinocchiotalking like a "hairdresser" (what does that even mean?) even though she's using her natural, fairly standard English accent? Talk about thinly veiled racism..."

It means random, everyday, superficial, gossipy talk with one hand in her side and rolling eyes, just like you often see in a hair salon, where conversations never go to a deeper level. That is how she acts. With no deeper layer or connection to emotion or the actual story whatsoever. Definitely not like a fairy with a deeper message. Pity.

Ps. Can you please leave race out of it? I will not go into that. She's human and a performer.

"

Okay, sure, but she doesn’t do any of that. 

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#757Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 12:30pm

Rentaholic2 said: "pmensky said: "Rentaholic2 said: "pmensky said: "Every time I check into this thread the distance in time between act 1 and 2 seems to grow exponentially in people’s opinions. Doesn’t act 2 start with the reveal that Glinda and Fiyero have gotten engaged? How long do you all think a girl like Glinda would wait to get engaged to her college boyfriend? Ten years? No. More like right out of school. When Glinda says it was a very long time ago, she’s trying to put distance between Elphaba and herself to try to diminish their relationship and to mollify the crowd, not to comment about the passage of time."

But doesn't all of Act I take place in their first year at Shiz, when they are presumably 18/19? (I could be wrong about that). Meaning Act II starts at least 4 years later when they are no longer at Shiz. But I think the implication is that even more time than that has passed, because Glinda is now in a position of status and Fiyero is now captain of the guard. And Elphaba is well established as the "Wicked Witch of the West" and Nessa is the governor of munckinland or whatever. I guess it's up for interpretation, but I think there's a strong argument that the jump in time is closer to 10 years.
"

I hate to break it to you, but if you think there’s a strong argument that they jump 10 years, you didn’t just make it.
"

Thanks for breaking it to me that I'm wrong lol. I'm sure I am, but I'm happy to hear why you think that. Very possible I'm not remembering the show well enough, but if it takes 4 years to finish at Shiz, it's reasonable to assume it would take at least 5 years post-college to rise to the ranks that everyone is at when Act II begins. Does Act I end later in their tenure at Shiz than I remember?
"

I always assumed the characters were much older at the end of the show than they were at the start of act two, and each scene takes place after a certain time jump. In both the Oz and Wicked books Glinda rules Oz in the Wizard’s absence until a more permanent replacement is found. I can’t imagine they’d give that role to a young woman who’s in her 20’s. 

Hopefully they’ll make the time jumps more evident if that’s the route they go down. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#758Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 12:40pm

pmensky said: "Rentaholic2 said: "Ok. Seems odd to me that all the major characters would immediately be in positions of authority the second they get out of school, but I guess agree to disagree. Doesn't really make a difference in the end!"

"

No, but you should hire a therapist to learn how not to be so nasty.

I think everything Rentaholic said is dead on.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#759Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 12:57pm

I have been out of college for 10 years, and I still haven't become the Governor of my state, and haven't been able to steal my best friend's boyfriend (YET). I am sure I will get there, but it takes time. Believe me.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

QueenTwinnied
#760Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 3:24pm

It’s not strange for Nessarose to be in power. Her father was the Governor of Munchkinland and when he died, she assumed the position. She literally says the position is “unelected.” 

As for Fiyero and Glinda, I assumed those positions were ceremonial and under the complete control of Morrible. 

pmensky
#761Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/23/22 at 7:38pm

TotallyEffed said: "pmensky said: "Rentaholic2 said: "Ok. Seems odd to me that all the major characters would immediately be in positions of authority the second they get out of school, but I guess agree to disagree. Doesn't really make a difference in the end!"

"

"

Great, thanks! I’ll take nasty over being a moron any day!

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#762Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/24/22 at 10:00am

TotallyEffed is not a moron.

Rentaholic2
#763Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/24/22 at 10:22am

MagicalMusical said: "TotallyEffed is not a moron."

I think pmensky's insult may have actually been directed at me.  But like the time jump in Wicked, it is unclear.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#764Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/24/22 at 11:59am

We have to deal with these discussions for how many more years now? 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#765Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/25/22 at 2:54am

Rentaholic2 said: "I think pmensky's insult may have actually been directed at me. But like the time jump in Wicked, it is unclear."

Ah. Well you are not a moron, either.

Updated On: 9/25/22 at 02:54 AM

Globefan
#766Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/26/22 at 9:02pm

I wonder when the next official casting reveal will drop 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#767Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 9/26/22 at 9:08pm

pmensky said: "TotallyEffed said: "pmensky said: "Rentaholic2 said: "Ok. Seems odd to me that all the major characters would immediately be in positions of authority the second they get out of school, but I guess agree to disagree. Doesn't really make a difference in the end!"

"

"

Great, thanks! I’ll take nasty over being a moron any day!
"

LOLZ. 

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#769Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/10/22 at 11:19pm

Someone please show Jon M. Chu this video of the practical effects used to create the witches’ flying sequences in the original Hocus Pocus. So much more effective than CGI. 

https://youtu.be/30TqwHivH50

briankershawjr
#770Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/10/22 at 11:41pm

I see your point of not using CGI however that’s what they do now… they use the technology they have to make better or better in their eyes

that way is old school

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#772Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/12/22 at 6:39pm

So happy to hear that Stephen Oremus is greatly involved in the making of this film. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Globefan
#773Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/27/22 at 6:37pm

Ariana Grande has officially dyed her hair blonde to play Glinda. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#774Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 10/28/22 at 11:54am

I’m curious whether we will get any other announcement to coincide with Halloween or the musical’s anniversary. I had the thought that maybe they’d release a teaser photo or poster (even if it’s just of Ariana and Cynthia or just a logo) this Christmas, a year out from the first film. 

Videos