pixeltracker

TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches- Page 4

TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches

Jarethan
#75TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/4/20 at 4:17pm

I will be damned if I can remember where, but I have used the pouch once.  I was actually happy about it, because I am so damned tired of people taking out their phones mid-show just to see what time it is or because they got a text.  As most  seem to know, it is really distracting.  Couple that with the number of times phones have rung incessantly because the owner was too embarrassed to acknowledge they were the culprit.  

What I can't believe is that there is no way to block at least phone calls and for the duration of the show by flicking a switch backstage.  I don't know whether the technology actually does not exist or is too expensive.  If it interferes with back-stage communication or something, then adapt a special frequency for back-stage communication.

Then we can get back to being annoyed by the people who annoyed us 50 years ago by unwrapping little hard candies, and 'whispering' in a voice that could be heard two aisles away.  Of course that is even worse today, at least in Nederlander theatres, where some them sell bags of potato chips; hell, movie houses don't even sell potato chips.

kaykordeath
#76TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/4/20 at 5:56pm

Jarethan said: "
What I can't believe is that there is no way to block at least phone calls andfor the duration of the show by flicking a switch backstage. I don't know whether the technology actually does not exist oris too expensive. If it interferes with back-stage communication or something, then adapt a special frequency for back-stage communication.

"

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone-jammer5.htm

"In the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and many other countries, blocking cell-phone services (as well as any other electronic transmissions) is against the law. "

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#77TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/4/20 at 5:58pm

MemorableUserName said: "Yikes. Well, at least people can keep their handwipes on them... (I've always been a bit of a germaphobe. Recent events haven't helped that.)"

Yeah, phones have been shown to be one of the leading carriers of germs and bacteria. Lysol the bags between shows maybe I don't know. Sounds like it could get icky.

Darreyl with an L!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#78TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/4/20 at 6:19pm

darreyl102 said: "MemorableUserName said: "Yikes. Well, at least people can keep their handwipes on them... (I've always been a bit of a germaphobe. Recent events haven't helped that.)"

Yeah, phones have been shown to be one of the leading carriers of germs and bacteria. Lysol the bags between shows maybe I don't know. Sounds like it could get icky.
"

I have news for you. Everything is icky. If people sanitize their own hands and avoid touching their face, everything will be fine. People will bitch about how hygienic a yondr pouch is, meanwhile they are touching doorknobs, armrests, paper towel dispensers, buying nuts from someone who touched the bag and then put the open bag to their mouth to dump the nuts in. People need to get a grip. Universal precautions-they were designed for a reason. Use them. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#79TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 12:36am

>If it interferes with back-stage communication or something, then adapt a special frequency for back-stage communication.

It's not that simple... You can't just block specific frequencies. If you're in a building it's going to block everything unless you've got some military grade tech running things. There's a story about Phantom one time picking up a signal from outside the theatre one time that caused the boat to have a mind of its own.

Theatre Cyns
#80TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 10:23am

The subject of Yondr pouches is one that gets my Irish up. I'm an adult, I've paid a lot of money for the ticket I'm using, and I don't expect to be treated like a child just because a MINORITY of people can't be trusted to follow the rules laid out when you go to the theater. 

I've been to two shows (both stand-up shows, not Broadway theater) where they insisted on the Yondr pouches. At the first there were people who got pouches that were ripped so their phones ended up out of them anyway. At the second, a man had an alarm set on his phone that kept going off and he couldn't get to it to shut it off so the comedian demanded he hand over the pouch/phone and she put it backstage for the duration of the show. 

I have both a phone and an iPod and both times they overlooked the iPod and only my phone was put away. Which meant if I really wanted to I could have recorded the shows anyway with the iPod.

It's an imperfect system designed to keep people in line who don't need to be kept in line. I spend a lot of money on theater and I've decided to not throw that money at shows who want to treat their patrons like children.

Jarethan
#81TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 12:47pm

kaykordeath said: "Jarethan said: "
What I can't believe is that there is no way to block at least phone calls andfor the duration of the show by flicking a switch backstage. I don't know whether the technology actually does not exist oris too expensive. If it interferes with back-stage communication or something, then adapt a special frequency for back-stage communication.

"

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone-jammer5.htm

"In the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and many other countries, blocking cell-phone services (as well as any other electronic transmissions) is against the law. "
"

Thanks.  That certainly makes it understandable why theaters don't do it.

hearthemsing22
#82TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 12:59pm

I can't believe I have to say this. But it does not matter one iota how much money you paid for your ticket. It doesn't mean you're entitled to film a show, it doesn't mean you're entitled to take photos, it doesn't mean you're exempt from the rules every single person who paid to be there has to follow. Once you buy that ticket, you're required to follow the rules set forth by the THEATER, not your own. Otherwise you're just paying a lot of money for doing what you could do at home just in a different place where what you do will ruin the experience for hundreds of people, as well as prove that you don't care at ALL about the actors you paid to see. 

JSquared2
#83TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 1:05pm

Theatre Cyns said: "The subject of Yondr pouches is one that gets my Irish up. I'm an adult, I've paid a lot of money for the ticket I'm using, and I don't expect to be treated like a child just because a MINORITY of people can't be trusted to follow the rules laid out when you go to the theater.

I've been to two shows (both stand-up shows, not Broadway theater) where they insisted on the Yondr pouches. At the first there were people who got pouches that were ripped so their phones ended up out of them anyway. At the second, a man had an alarm set on his phone that kept going off and he couldn't get to it to shut it off so the comedian demanded he hand over the pouch/phone and she put it backstage for the duration of the show.

I have both a phone and an iPod and both times they overlooked the iPod and only my phone was put away. Which meant if I really wanted to I could have recorded the shows anyway with the iPod.

It's an imperfect system designed to keep people in line who don't need to be kept in line. I spend a lot of money on theater and I've decided to not throw that money at shows who want to treat their patrons like children.
"

You're certainly acting like a child with your little tantrum here.

Theatre Cyns
#84TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 1:08pm

hearthemsing22 said: "I can't believe I have to say this. But it does not matter one iota how much money you paid for your ticket. It doesn't mean you're entitled to film a show, it doesn't mean you're entitled to take photos, it doesn't mean you're exempt from the rules every single person who paid to be there has to follow. Once you buy that ticket, you're required to follow the rules set forth by the THEATER, not your own. Otherwise you're just paying a lot of money for doing what you could do at home just in a different place where what you do will ruin the experience for hundreds of people, as well as prove that you don't care at ALL about the actors you paid to see."

If this is directed at my post you've completely misrepresented everything I wrote. I didn't say paying for a show means I should be able to film it or take photos of it. I don't do that. I shut my phone off as is expected when you attend the theater. That doesn't mean I want someone to deny me the right to actually have access to my phone.

I'm an adult who expects to be treated like an adult. A small minority of people break the rules at the theater. Treating paying customers who do not break the rules like children because of the handful who do will make me stop giving them my money. 

hearthemsing22
#85TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 1:19pm

Theatre Cyns said: "hearthemsing22 said: "I can't believe I have to say this. But it does not matter one iota how much money you paid for your ticket. It doesn't mean you're entitled to film a show, it doesn't mean you're entitled to take photos, it doesn't mean you're exempt from the rules every single person who paid to be there has to follow. Once you buy that ticket, you're required to follow the rules set forth by the THEATER, not your own. Otherwise you're just paying a lot of money for doing what you could do at home just in a different place where what you do will ruin the experience for hundreds of people, as well as prove that you don't care at ALL about the actors you paid to see."

If this is directed at my post you've completely misrepresented everything I wrote. I didn't say paying for a show means I should be able to film it or take photos of it. I don't do that. I shut my phone off as is expected when you attend the theater. That doesn't mean I want someone to deny me the right to actually have access to my phone.

I'm an adult who expects to be treated like an adult. A small minority of people break the rules at the theater. Treating paying customers who do not break the rules like children because of the handful who do will make me stop giving them my money.
"

URGH I totally misinterpreted your post. I'm sorry! I guess I'm sick of the people who have the mentality that I mentioned; the "I paid X amount of money so of course I'm exempt from rules that EVERY PAYING PATRON has to pay".  I hate those types of people. Those who have a complete lack of respect, are totally entitled-- I now see I was wrong in what I said to you, because you don't do that. I'm so sorry! 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#86TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 1:38pm

Theatre Cyns said: "hearthemsing22 said: "I can't believe I have to say this. But it does not matter one iota how much money you paid for your ticket. It doesn't mean you're entitled to film a show, it doesn't mean you're entitled to take photos, it doesn't mean you're exempt from the rules every single person who paid to be there has to follow. Once you buy that ticket, you're required to follow the rules set forth by the THEATER, not your own. Otherwise you're just paying a lot of money for doing what you could do at home just in a different place where what you do will ruin the experience for hundreds of people, as well as prove that you don't care at ALL about the actors you paid to see."

"

I'm right there with you. I'd rather hear messages before the show and intermission that you will be thrown out if you take out your phone and use it instead. If the theatres made some examples out of people by actually tossing them out we would have less people doing it overall. In the end we know the people who own the theatres really don't care overall about any of it. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#87TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 1:57pm

There are liability issues with physically forcing people out of a theater. Plus do you really expect an usher to physically remove patrons? Yondr pouches are a lot more reasonable (if not perfect) options. There are a lot of rules in society and theaters that we all have to abide by even though they were designed to protect others from the small amount of stupid people.

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#88TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 2:08pm

hearthemsing22 said: "BenElliott said: "I won't hand my phone over. Just say you didn't bring it. They can't strip search you."

I sincerely hope you're joking. If you can't go that long without your phone I think there are issues there. I went to an event last week where they required us to put our phones in pouches before we saw the attraction we were being given a sneak peek of. It was amazing just to have that experience and walk around and enjoy what I was experiencing instead of viewing it all through a screen. And guess what? I SURVIVED. If you really feel that strongly, or are okay with lying, that's a problem.
"

I always have my phone off and I'm pretty anti-photo taking and often complain about people living their lives vicariously through their phone camera, but I have someone at home with medical conditions and I like to check in during the intermission and before the show.  Not to mention, in the world we live in, I don't want my phone locked in a little bag in the case of a serious emergency.  It's my property and I don't have to hand it over for anyone.  I don't take pictures during the show and my phone is off.  

And don't fall from that high horse, old timer, you might break a hip.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#89TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 2:36pm

You can call from the lobby before the show. You can also call from the lobby during intermission. Not sure how that’s much different that what you do now. Actors are performing in the nude in this show. The production is taking steps to protect them. I think that’s respectable. For me, it certainly outweighs any inconvenience I’ll experience.

Once an audience member takes pics/video, the usher can demand the patron desist and delete the images (meanwhile disrupting the performance), but as far as I know ushers can’t enforce that they delete the pics/videos from both their “photos” and “deleted” folders. Plus that would take longer and be even be more distracting to the audience/performers.

I have an ailing parent so I can empathize, but this policy wouldn’t prohibit me from checking on her before the show/at intermission or checking my messages during those times if I choose to do so.

Meanwhile, great job reinforcing (with your “old-timer” “break a hip” comment) the broad mostly untrue stereotype that the younger generation is comprised of all phone-addicted, insensitive. and self-centered jerks.

Theatre Cyns
#90TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 2:52pm

Not that it matters, but for what it’s worth in the context of this discussion, I’m a 51 year-old woman who doesn’t spend every minute of the day with her phone. Not a boomer but not a millennial either. 😊 I just don’t like the idea of the theater deciding that I’m not responsible enough with my own legal property to act appropriately (ESPECIALLY given that a minority of people do the thing that this is supposed to be stopping).

And, heck, I know I’m only one person. They won’t miss my money or my presence. But one thing that’s in my control is when I see the notice that a particular theater will be using Yondr pouches is to find another theater to patronize.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#91TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 3:02pm

Theatre Cyns said: "Not that it matters, but for what it’s worth in the context of this discussion, I’m a 51 year-old woman who doesn’t spend every minute of the day with her phone. Not a boomer but not a millennial either. ? I just don’t like the idea of the theater deciding that I’m not responsible enough with my own legal property to act appropriately (ESPECIALLY given that a minority of people do the thing that this is supposed to be stopping).

And, heck, I know I’m only one person. They won’t miss my money or my presence. But one thing that’s in my control is when I see the notice that a particular theater will be using Yondr pouches is to find another theater to patronize.
"

You’ve absolutely that right to choose to not attend shows that have this policy although you have lost some credence when you complain about cell phone use in those other shows when you oppose an option that would greatly reduce that behavior. What other rule/restrictions would you put in place to reduce cell phone use in shows? 

Theatre Cyns
#92TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 3:13pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Theatre Cyns said: "Not that it matters, but for what it’s worth in the context of this discussion, I’m a 51 year-old woman who doesn’t spend every minute of the day with her phone. Not a boomer but not a millennial either. ? I just don’t like the idea of the theater deciding that I’m not responsible enough with my own legal property to act appropriately (ESPECIALLY given that a minority of people do the thing that this is supposed to be stopping).

"

You’ve absolutely that right to choose to not attend shows that have this policy although you have lost some credence when you complain about cell phone use in those other shows whenyou oppose an option that would greatly reduce that behavior. What other rule/restrictionswould you put in place to reduce cell phone use in shows?
"

I disagree with the bolded because they aren't mutually exclusive. I expect people to act accordingly within the rules of the theater. If they don't, I'm a big supporter of someone who works in the theater asking them to leave, especially if other patrons point out the inappropriate behavior. For me the bigger issue isn't the way the audience acts (because it is definitely a minority of people) but the way the theater reacts to the offending people. They usually look the other way. So instead of taking care of the problem in the most appropriate way they go overboard as if the problem is with every person in the theater instead of a handful.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#93TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 3:18pm

Ushers aren’t security officers. And even if they were, there is a liability issue with dragging mis-behaving patrons out of the theater. Although, OMG, I’d love to see that happen. LOL

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#94TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 3:25pm

hearthemsing22 said: "I do have a question about these. Are you able to record sound through them? Like if someone turned on a recording app or something, would they actually get material? That'd be my question because someone could do that right before they put their phone/watch in the pouch."

You can, but it's a bit muffled.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#95TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 3:29pm

Interesting that Yondr pouches will prevent people from taking pictures of yonder pouches.

AlanB3
#96TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 4:00pm

Yondr pouches are PROACTIVE.

Usher interventions are REACTIVE.

The former is intended to create an enjoyable experience for ALL patrons, as well as the artists performing.

The latter would still cause significant disruption if an usher needs to remove someone form the performance.

Pouches FTW in my book.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#97TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 10:34pm

AlanB3 said: "Yondr pouches are PROACTIVE.

Usher interventions are REACTIVE.

The former is intended to create an enjoyable experience for ALL patrons, as well as the artists performing.

The latter would still cause significant disruption if an usher needs to remove someone form the performance.

Pouches FTW in my book.
"

THANK YOU. I also agree with Miles that it’s far easier to lock up a phone than try to take someone’s property if they were taking photos or videos. Ushers should not and can not be put in the position of confronting people like that. There are fully nude actors on stage for extended periods of time. The last Broadway cast was extensively violated. If you can’t handle some extra care being taken on their behalf you’re not the “adult” you state you are. Have some decency and understanding. The pouches literally add 1 minute on your way in and on your way out. If it bothers you stay home.  

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#98TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 10:46pm

kdogg36 said: "Broadway Joe said: "Absolutely stupid, we have to all be treated like children now because of a few morons."

I’m not bothered by the plan to use the pouches in this particularproduction, which has a compellingreason to prevent photos and videos. In general, though, I agree with you. Even if it took an average of one additional minute to undo the pouches upon leaving the theater, that would be an extra half hour or so of standing in line each year (in my case). That’s definitely more of a bother to me than the few times I’m distracted by phone use. I know others will disagree.
"

It takes roughly 2 seconds to open the pouch and get your phone back. Just FYI.

Apologies if this was already addressed in the previous/subsequent 3 pages of posts!

Updated On: 3/5/20 at 10:46 PM

Pashacar
#99TAKE ME OUT will be using Yondr pouches
Posted: 3/5/20 at 11:59pm

Theatre Cyns said: "Miles2Go2 said: "Theatre Cyns said: "Not that it matters, but for what it’s worth in the context of this discussion, I’m a 51 year-old woman who doesn’t spend every minute of the day with her phone. Not a boomer but not a millennial either. ? I just don’t like the idea of the theater deciding that I’m not responsible enough with my own legal property to act appropriately (ESPECIALLY given that a minority of people do the thing that this is supposed to be stopping).

"

You’ve absolutely that right to choose to not attend shows that have this policy although you have lost some credence when you complain about cell phone use in those other shows whenyou oppose an option that would greatly reduce that behavior. What other rule/restrictionswould you put in place to reduce cell phone use in shows?
"

I disagree with the bolded because they aren't mutually exclusive.I expect people to act accordingly within the rules of the theater. If they don't, I'm a big supporter of someone who works in the theater asking them to leave, especially if other patrons point out the inappropriate behavior. For me the bigger issue isn't the way the audience acts (because it is definitely a minority of people) but the way the theater reacts to the offending people. They usually look the other way. So instead of taking care of the problem in the most appropriate way they go overboard as if the problem is with every person in the theater instead of a handful.
"

I don’t see how this argument holds water if you’ve lived as an adult in the world. Do you plan to bomb every plane you take? Of course not. Yet you still have to go through security, because the past has shown that a small minority of people don’t obey the rules. If you’re driving sober and they’ve set up a DUI checkpoint, you still have to go though it. The list goes on, and the same principle’s at work here.

Of course, you’re till free to vote with your dollar, but you’re wrong to assume it has anything to do with some assumption about your individual behavior. It’s about protecting everyone from the behavior of a small minority of people. And, as in many other cases, everyone has to be inconvenienced.

Videos