pixeltracker

ATC: Spider Man is officially off....- Page 4

ATC: Spider Man is officially off....

FindingNamo
#75re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 10:53pm

Gosh you seem so sure.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#76re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 10:58pm

As stated by many actors in the book Making It On Broadway, the say that Broadway is turning into spectacles, where people are paying to see a chandelier fall and a helicopter descend. It's not all about the talent anymore which is kind of sad.

FindingNamo
#77re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:02pm

Yeah, all those shows with all those helicopters landing have ruined everything. And they never close.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#78re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:14pm

Does Spiderman need a reworked theatre and the spectacle? What ever happened to simple stage craft and story telling?

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute and say that staging the story of Spider-Man is going to inherently require a certain amount of spectacle and effects. It's going to require flying and swinging and whatnot because that's what Spider-Man does. He does it in the movies, comics, tv shows, etc.

The Green Goblin (Alan Cumming's role) is a character who zooms around on a rocket glider, which will require some innovative flying and/or effects. Basically what I'm saying is that to tell this story properly is going to call for a very technically demanding (and therefore expensive) production. Clearly they are hoping that the Spider-Man/U2 name recognition will sell tickets.

...But on the other hand, how much spectacle is too much? At a certain point it becomes more about the effects/sets themselves and not the story, and I think that's what worries a lot of people here. Is there a way to do the show without extensive renovations to the theater? Probably, but from all reports the word 'budget' is not a part of Julie Taymor's vocabulary. In that case, it's up to the producers to rein her in and stop the production from bleeding money. Like I said earlier, I'm still a little skeptical about this whole thing, but I hope it's still a go because I am morbidly curious as to how it'll look on stage.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 8/11/09 at 11:14 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#79re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:17pm

Hasn't Broadway been becoming nothing but spectacle since the Ziegfeld Follies?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 8/11/09 at 11:17 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#80re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:19pm

Kad, I think I might have to make that my signature.

FindingNamo
#81re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:24pm

A young Charles Busch was able to make Chicklet surf in Psycho Beach Party with some swirling cardboard disks and what might have been ironing boards. In Provincetown every summer Ryan Landry makes magic with cardboard, paint, and tiny models, creating a very different Oz in last summer's Whizzin', and a very grown up Willie Wanker & The Hershey Highway this summer.

It would be possible for very creative people to tell a Spiderman story by stretching their imaginations and not their budgets.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#82re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:30pm

But they never said they would set a $200 ticket price, did they?

No, I just kinda pulled the number out of the air. Though I'm afraid it's not that far away.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#83re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:31pm

Those aren't Broadway shows. Regardless of Spiderman's current budget problems, today's audiences are paying top dollar for the state of the art stagecraft.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#85re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:34pm

Ah, age, the first time Bob Holiday flew in in
IT'S A BIRD, IT'S A PLANE, IT'S SUPERMAN and the wire snagged, the audience ate it up, probably cost 200 bucks.
Less than a premium ticket to SPIDERMAN, TURN OFF THE DARK.
I know I am OLD.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#86re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:43pm

It doesn't matter how much the show costs as long as it WORKS. There are directors that can make it work by miming props, clothing the actors in all-blacks, and using a bare stage with minimal lights. There are directors who can collaborate with designers and get fancy-schmancy sets/costumes/props/effects and make it be just as effective. Different, but both can work in their own way.

Spectacle is ALWAYS involved with theatre. The musical genre is a spectacle in itself!! The orchestra is a spectacle factor, the music is a spectacle factor, the singing and dancing are spectacle components, too! *gasp*

In the case of SPIDER-MAN, the producers think they can get their money back best by going with eye candy -- the pyrotechnics, flying, aerial stunts, etc. And I happen to agree that this is the best way to get their money back. Broadway is commercial theatre (minus the not-for-profit companies).

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#87re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:45pm

Good grief, we're talking about New York theater here...specifically Broadway. All of those British "spectaculars" have come and gone and what are we left with? Well, Disney-on-Broadway junk and all the "Spidermans" we can sustain without upchucking. Crap-is-crap-is-crap. If Spidey is done, thank God. Otherwise, "Carrie" would be turning over in her grave.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#88re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/11/09 at 11:58pm

There is a problem when a director cannot take no for an answer. You have shows bleeding money in every direction. Perhaps the Producers looked a Lion King and thought, "Hey if she can do it for that...". Disney allowed her lots of liberties with the look but she had to remain faithful to the story. One of the problems I had with Lion King is it seemed a schizophrenic musical. We had the Disney story and then we had the flying Africans on wires and the other WTF "Julie is a genius" moments.
With Spiderman she is writing the book, creating new characters, trying to reinvent the franchise by making it her own. I have yet to see anything she has written and directed that has a heart or a soul. It is all nice images and tableaux that is about it.
I wish the production well thought is not something I can see myself going to.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#89re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:36am

"today's audiences are paying top dollar for the state of the art stagecraft."

Like Jersey Boys with it's static set and small cast? Or Chicago? Or RENT? Or ITH? Good shows sell. Shows that appeal to groups who would ride in a bus to see a broadway show also sell. Shows that let women rock out to ABBA songs with their friends sell. Find a way in to your particular audience and you'll sell.

Dracula, Pirate Queen, and Dance of the Vampires all had "state of the art" stagecraft.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

Scarywarhol
#90re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:40am

^To be fair, the marketing for all three was horrendous.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#91re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:45am

To be realistic the shows themselves sucked and relied on spectacle.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Scarywarhol
#92re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:49am

I'm not sure why spectacle and storytelling are being regarded as mutually exclusive in this discussion.

Although it IS Julie Taymor we're talking about. But in general, it's not a fair way to look at it.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#93re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 7:04am

Talking about more with less, I really enjoyed The 39 Steps & Around The World In 80 Days. Both done on a shoestring & both marvelously entertaining.

Spiderman would have been an overblown mess. Just release a CD of the score & everyone will go home happy.

Poster Emeritus

Mattbrain
#94re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 7:16am

"Dracula, Pirate Queen, and Dance of the Vampires all had "state of the art" stagecraft."

"To be realistic the shows themselves sucked and relied on spectacle."

Yeah, but the stagecraft sure didn't.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#95re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 8:23am

i wanna see Spiderman flying over the audience. next to Spidey being my favorite superhero that's what will get me to see this show.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#96re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 8:27am

Actors released from their contracts with no pay-or-play clause.
Link

....but the world goes 'round

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#97re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 8:53am

Towards the end of the article Reidel actually had something nice to say about the show. Is that a first?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#98re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 9:32am

so they're actually pulling the plug? that's insane. how much money did they lose? and when they say that they ran out of money do they mean the whole 45 mil? or that they ran out of what they had to start with?

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#99re: ATC: Spider Man is officially off....
Posted: 8/12/09 at 9:35am

What a terrible terrible disaster, not the show, I mean the fact that they put so much work and effort and money into it and now it's crumbling to the ground...god I feel really bad.

Videos