pixeltracker

Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?- Page 4

Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#75Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/13/13 at 9:28am

That trailer was released in May.

And right, Kad. I should have been clearer in my post, I meant that the producers tried to pull that but the NomCom rejected it.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#76Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/13/13 at 9:31am

I think Streep most definitely has a shot at a fourth Academy Award, Musicaldudepeter.

I also think her closest competition may be Margo Martindale.

But really it all depends on how they translate the play for the screen. The early trailers did not inspire me with confidence, but ultimately I think this is going to be a very well received film.

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#77Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/13/13 at 9:37am

well, that certainly doesnt look as happy. Funny that the article refers to Letts and HER award winning play.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#78Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/13/13 at 10:20am

It's called marketing. They'd have to majorly change Letts' story (which I doubt they'll do, given that Letts wrote the screenplay) for this to end up being about overcoming family drama.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#79Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/13/13 at 10:21am

Yes, but they changed Letts's gender.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#80Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/13/13 at 10:36am

For some reason I skipped like two pages of conversation and was responding to the last comment on page 2!
Haha, Besty, that made me laugh. If they changed his gender, then all bets are off.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#81Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 6:30pm

I just saw the full trailer at a theater today. Wasn't crazy about Roberts being cast but I like what I saw of her in the trailer. Streep, not so much.

Just give the world Love.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#82Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 6:39pm

I've always known Roberts would be fantastic in this. She's an exceptional actress and this is an exceptional role.

I haven't been thrilled with Streep from the trailers either, though. It's very SILKWOOD 2: KAREN'S RETURN

But it's Meryl Streep, so I'm sure in the actual film she'll knock it out of the park.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#83Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 6:44pm

SOOOO excited to see this. Top of my list for Christmas movies. It is one of my favorite modern plays. I hope the movie is just as good as the play.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#84Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 6:51pm

Streep is not winning a fourth Oscar this year. It took them 30 years to award her a second Best Actress Oscar (3rd overall), and they did so with an OTT performance in a sh!tty movie, a la Pacino/Scent of a Woman. They're not gonna give her another, let alone a record-tying one so soon. Give it up fangurls!

Furthermore, I agree with uncageg, Streep looks horrendous in the trailer.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#85Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:04pm

"Streep is not winning a fourth Oscar this year. It took them 30 years to award her a second Best Actress Oscar (3rd overall), and they did so with an OTT performance in a sh!tty movie, a la Pacino/Scent of a Woman. They're not gonna give her another, let alone a record-tying one so soon. Give it up fangurls! "

You just never know darling. You just never know. I am sure the Academy would LOVE a "Meryl vs Oprah " show.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Jordan Catalano
#86Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:12pm

Remember that there will be other women in that category also. People like Lupita Nyong'o, Margo Martindale, Cameron Diaz, Amy Adams, Sally Hawkins, Catherine Keener, Laura Linney, Octavia Spencer, etc. etc.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#87Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:14pm

Yes. Really about 6 weeks too early for this discussion.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Jordan Catalano
#88Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:16pm

I mean it's pretty much a certainty she'll be nominated, though. Wasn't the only thing she wasn't nominated for SHE-DEVIL? lol

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#89Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:17pm

As I always say, no award is given in a vacuum.

Decisions made in each race in those 30 years between Oscars always relied on competition in the fields. It's always subjective. (Warning: here be personal opinions.) Sometimes better performances beat her (Susan Sarandon in DEAD MAN WALKING or Hilary Swank in BOYS DON'T CRY), sometimes leads of better films beat her (Gwyneth Paltrow in SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE), sometimes legends whose time had come to win (Helen Mirren in THE QUEEN, Sarandon as well), in every race the field has a different feel and is shaped by many variables.

There is no "they" and there is no overarching plan to how Awards will be given out in one's career. Streep very well could win an award for this; it's a hell of a role, she's a hell of an actress and we haven't seen it or really any of her likely competitors, save sparse exceptions.

There is so much that could happen, this far out, that the only thing with certainty that it's safe to argue about the Oscars is that arguing something with certainty is lunacy.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Jordan Catalano
#90Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:18pm

Well, I still think Streep getting a nomination is as much of a certainty as you can have when it comes to predicting Oscar noms.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#91Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 7:22pm

And I'll grant that.

Same as I'd grant John Williams a nomination for just about any film he scores.

ETA: Fun fact - 1992 was the last year John Williams scored at least one film and *wasn't* nominated for an Oscar.

Updated On: 8/23/13 at 07:22 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#92Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 8:29pm

Just saw the trailer & it looks great. Streep looks like a lock for an Academy Award nod

Poster Emeritus

jo
#93Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 8:43pm

Per BoxOfficeMojo, the movie has received its MPAA rating - "R"

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=augustosagecounty.htm

iNick1224
#94Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 8:51pm

Where is this new trailer?

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#95Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 11:02pm

August: Osage County screens at the Toronto Film Festival on September 9th and 10th.

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/festival/2013/augustosagecounty

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

FindingNamo
#96Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/23/13 at 11:23pm

A movie I kickstarted is getting its North American premiere there too. I only produce festival projects.

Also, I understand Tracy Letts will now be known as Lana Letts.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#97Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/24/13 at 9:37pm

This is crazy talk. People predicted Streep to get nominated in "Marvin's Room"...and Keaton was nominated instead.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#98Any Word on the AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY Film?
Posted: 8/24/13 at 10:24pm

I guess I'm just not seeing what most of us are seeing. Meryl looks like she's going in once again. She's an actor who loves what she does; and what a delicious role for her to relish in. Awards are no true testament to anyone's work and without awards or any such trivial things I'm sure she'll put the work in like we've come to expect from her time and again.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Videos